Jeff Remas Guest

Default NEC 2008 410.130(G)

I just had a seminar today on the changes for the 2008 NEC which we are gearing up for. I don't have a 2008 NEC yet because I don't need one.

He skipped over the change for the above code section so I am unable to check it.

Does this section apply to single and two family dwellings and commercial structures or just commercial.

Thanks.

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

Fred Warner Guest

Default Re: NEC 2008 410.130(G)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Remas View Post
    .......Does this section apply to single and two family dwellings and commercial structures or just commercial.

Thanks.
    The text at 410.130(G) begins like this: " In indoor locations other than dwellings and associated structures....."

Jeff Remas Guest

Thanks Fred. I was assuming but had no way to verify.

Fred Warner Guest

You're welcome, Jeff. I like the easy ones.

JUst some FYI that may (or not) come in handy-
    You can access the NEC on the NFPA website. You need to sign up then log in but thats no big issue. It's a pdf but I've used it before I was given license to another site.

Jeff,

In case you were interested in the entire text of 410.130(G), here it is.

- ARTICLE 410 Luminaires, Lampholders, and Lamp
    - - XIII. Special Provisions for Electric-Discharge Lighting Systems of 1000 Volts or Less
    410.130 General.
    - - - (G) Disconnecting Means.
    - - - - (1) General. In indoor locations other than dwellings and associated accessory structures, fluorescent luminaires that utilize double-ended lamps and contain ballast(s) that can be serviced in place shall have a disconnecting means either internal or external to each luminaire. The line side terminals of the disconnecting means shall be guarded.
    - - - - - Exception No. 1: A disconnecting means shall not be required for luminaires installed in hazardous (classified) location(s).
    - - - - - Exception No. 2: A disconnecting means shall not be required for emergency illumination required in 700.16.
    - - - - - Exception No. 3: For cord-and-plug-connected luminaires, an accessible separable connector or an accessible plug and receptacle shall be permitted to serve as the disconnecting means.
    - - - - - Exception No. 4: A disconnecting means shall not be required in industrial establishments with restricted public access where conditions of maintenance and supervision ensure that only qualified persons service the installation by written procedures.
    - - - - - Exception No. 5: Where more than one luminaire is installed and supplied by other than a multiwire branch circuit, a disconnecting means shall not be required for every luminaire when the design of the installation includes disconnecting means, such that the illuminated space cannot be left in total darkness.
    - - - - (2) Multiwire Branch Circuits. When connected to multiwire branch circuits, the disconnecting means shall simultaneously break all the supply conductors to the ballast, including the grounded conductor.
    - - - - (3) Location. The disconnecting means shall be located so as to be accessible to qualified persons before servicing or maintaining the ballast. Where the disconnecting means is external to the luminaire, it shall be a single device, and shall be attached to the luminaire or the luminaire shall be located within sight of the disconnecting means.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Jeff Remas Guest

Thanks guys. I am a member of the NFPA and do have access but I thought they only allowed access to the previous code cycle. Again, thanks.

Jeff Remas Guest

I learned quite a bit today about the code process for changes. The instructor has been on multiple section committees and has held the "chair" on a few. He wrote some of the code change books and has submitted code changes that were approved. I have no idea what his name was believe it or not.

Anyway, Art 250 is a sore subject with me and I finally got some insight on the ground rod issue that I am in disagreement with other code officials. There are some changes coming in 2011 that will address this. We will probably see the 25 ohm rule go away as one example.

Ted Menelly Guest

"luminaires"

Yep, I'll be using that term a lot to my clients.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Menelly View Post
    "luminaires"

Yep, I'll be using that term a lot to my clients.
    Visions of little white paper bags with candles inside, hanging from the wall.