Default orange PVDC water lines

I recently completed the inspection of a late 1960's single family home. I have a question regarding the water supply piping in the home. I have seen all types of piping, but this type I am not familiar with.
    The pipe was orange in color and labeled "Tepco"; it was also labeled PVDC. I have been researching via the Inet and information is very limited. all i've found, is that it is a type of PVC, also a lot of info regarding saran. Can anyone provide information regarding this type of water supply line, and any known problems, etc.. the attached photo also has other issues already included in the report, so don't worry about or feel you need to comment on those issues. one last request, if you know of a web link with info on this type of water supply line, please let me know.
    thanks.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: orange PVDC water lines

It looks a little like fire sprinkler pipe.
    Have you looked at this?
    Harvel CPVC Fire Sprinkler Pipe

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

I found several things on it, but nothing real helpful.

WHAT IS PVC AND HOW IS IT MADE?

I would write it up and recommend a plumbing contractor determine its suitability for use as a supply plumbing system hot and cold potable water within a dwelling, and suggest the question be brought before the building official for their okay.

Looks like PVC fittings, which, if so, would not be good.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Denny L West Guest

Thumbs up Re: orange PVDC water lines

It appears to be a common Fire sprinkler water lines For light comercila and housing use which is rated for potable water even with the white PVC fittings its safe to use . Its PVC But Orange in color so that it stands out as water sprinkler lines this plumber just happend to use it for water lines . Safe and OK I would recommend that it be tagged hot and Cold From Top To Bottom Inspection Services

My understanding is that the orange PVC pipe used for sprinkler lines has a higher pressure rating, but not temp. rating (now I have to look it up). I would think that it would still not be OK for use as water supply piping. I doubt it is listed/ rated for that use, or we would most likely see it used more often. I doubt it is listed as an acceptable pipe under the prescriptive plumbing code in that area. As Jerry said, even if the orange pipe is allowed, the white PVC fittings most likely would not be.

Quote Originally Posted by Denny L West View Post
    It appears to be a common Fire sprinkler water lines For light comercila and housing use which is rated for potable water even with the white PVC fittings its safe to use . Its PVC But Orange in color so that it stands out as water sprinkler lines this plumber just happend to use it for water lines . Safe and OK I would recommend that it be tagged hot and Cold From Top To Bottom Inspection Services
    Plastic fire sprinkler piping is CPVC, not PVC. It is a close relation to the CPVC used for dwelling unit potable water systems.

That plastic pipe is neither PVC nor CPVC, it is PVDC, which is not on any approved dwelling unit supply and distribution piping list I've seen, it is a special breed apart from either PVC or CPVC.

I would not even want the plumber to make that call, I would want the Building Official, or his long arm ... the Chief Plumbing Inspector, to make that call. *THEY* have the ability to say *remove it*, or *yep, it's okay*, in which case get it in writing, make sure it includes the PVC fittings, make a couple of copies of that letter, laminate them, and staple the copies in various locations in the basement where the piping is readily visible. Heck, even staple one in the attic at the entrance ... *we know* the original copy is going to get "lost" at just the time it is needed when your client becomes the seller, *I'd even want a copy for my report file*, if nothing else, then a high resolution digital photo of it - just to be able to prove 'Yep, it was in my report, it was addressed, and the city accepted it - here is proof, and look, it even includes a statement about those PVC fittings being okay.'

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Jamie,

By the way, that insulation is in upside down and that facing is not allowed to be left exposed like that.

What about that black ABS (is it ABS?) very short radius fitting on the PVC DWV piping - that does not look right either.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Michael Larson Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Jamie,

By the way, that insulation is in upside down and that facing is not allowed to be left exposed like that.

What about that black ABS (is it ABS?) very short radius fitting on the PVC DWV piping - that does not look right either.
    Not only that but the ABS(black) fitting is not being used as intended.

In my area mixing ABS and PVC is only allowed at one transition fitting between the two system types and a special solvent rated for ABS and PVC is required.

The short el is OK if it is a vent line but needs to be long sweep for waste/wet lines.

Jerry Peck (and all others who responded),

Thanks for the info. In five years inspecting, this is the first time I have seen this type of piping used for water supply. I'm glad to know I was not the only one surprised to see this type of water line.
    Yes I know and reported on the other issues shown in the photo. The home actually has a basement that is finished. The drop ceiling is being replaced and this is why the insulation, etc.. is visible.
    I sent a report addendum to the client informing them of the piping (type, normal use of the piping and a statement regarding the local Building Official). By the way, this is a rural area of Virginia and I'm sure they only have one, maybe two code inspectors/officials for the entire county.
    Thanks again.

Jamie R Wilks
    Virginia Certified Home Inspector

Denny L West Guest

My Advice if your still confused look it it up / some times I can be wrong you Know . check local plumbing Codes hav a great day.