Arch.Fitz Guest

Angry Fire Curtain as Fire Seperation in terrace roof

I have a problem roof - in a terrace of houses the rear extensions are not seperated from the main roof areas.
    This causes a risk of fire spreading from one rear extension to the next.
    The roof access panel is "minimal".
    Has anyone used a flexible curtain or quilted material to provide the required fire protection - and if so What did You Use?
    Arch.Fitz

Similar Threads:
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: Fire Curtain as Fire Separation in terrace roof

South Wales, England?

Trying to visualize what you have, so a question or two first.

Are the houses independently owned (not common property) and are "separate" structures? Or are the structures common property and 'the interior' of each is independently owned?

I ask because, not knowing what codes are used in South Wales, the codes here in the states have different fire separation requirements based on the type of structure.

If your terraced houses are similar to townhouses, then, yes, fire walls would be required between the separate structures, even though they are attached.

Using a fire curtain would not, over here, be approved for that use.

Do you have any photos of the overall exterior view showing the terraced roofs?

One reason a fire curtain would not be approved is that the fire separation wall is designed and intended to remain standing and structurally sound for the duration of the fire-resistive rating of that structure. A flexible "curtain" has no structural value or strength.

Theoretically, one structure on one side of the fire wall could burn to the ground within the fire-resistive rating duration and the attached structures would remain standing. From your description, I do not see that happening.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Dave Taurinskas Guest

Default Re: Fire Curtain as Fire Seperation in terrace roof

Sorry, I have a non related question. What do you call the little gadget that produces smoke so you can check for back drafts. I just have a brain freeze. I need to pick one up or get it off the internet and can't think of the name of it. Thanks for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Taurinskas View Post
    Sorry, I have a non related question. What do you call the little gadget that produces smoke so you can check for back drafts. I just have a brain freeze. I need to pick one up or get it off the internet and can't think of the name of it. Thanks for the help.
    Leak Detectors

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

Default Re: Fire Curtain as Fire Separation in terrace roof

What do you call the little gadget that produces smoke so you can check for back drafts.
    Smoke candles, smoke pens, just a couple of examples.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Dave,
    This is the one I use. I have tried smoke pens and this is by far the best I have found. A toy company makes it but this one is made for finding air leaks and detecting air flow. I use it with my blower door for air sealing homes.
    Wizard Vapor Pencil Stream Adaptor: Zero Toys Online Store