Default Cordless battery life rant

I have a Dewalt 12V cordless drill I have had for a long time. Both of the batteries will not hold a charge for long. OK, got it, I know they wear out.

Today's Home Depot ad has a Ryobi 12V cordless drill with 2 batteries for $39. That's less than one new battery for my Dewalt.

Are cordless drills now becoming the new ink jet printer? Printers are dirt cheap, but you end up paying a fortune on ink for them. In fact, it's pretty hard NOT to get a free printer whenever you buy a computer.

This was meant more as a rant about disposable products than about batteries.

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Cordless battery life rant

By the time the batteries are worn out, my cordless are usually pretty beat up, so I just buy a whole new drill. Expensive for me since I'm picky. Besides some batteries are hard to get.
    I know what you mean about the Dewalts, 2 pack 18v for the flashlight and trim saw, cordless died years ago, $110.00
    Bought a two pack of 18v Ryobi batteries for the cordless hammer drill at HD last week for $50.00
    I'm not a big Dewalt fan at all. I've had lots of Ryobi'. Great tools to beat the crap out of, not for precision work though.
    I know what you mean about the printer scenario, I think you are right about that. The money for the manuf seems to be in the ink carts / batteries.

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

Our entire economy is based on consumption (goods), which started out based on manufacturing (goods), which required consumption (of those goods) and more consumption (of more goods), which required more manufacturing (goods).

Just like before the industrial revolution when it was all agricultural, it was based on consumption (food) and agricultural (producing that food) so we could consume more (food).

We are good at "consumption".

I'll give you the hammer (air hammer), but ... it uses special nails ... at $50 a pound.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Ted Menelly Guest

Power actuated pin guns for nailing metal track to concrete or steel I would get for free when buying x amount of pins and shots. At one time I could not tell you how many pin guns I had. That was probably one of the best deals I used to get because the shot and pins were not that much.

I think those were red heads. I do believe that hilti used to do the same thing but at a higher cost for the shots and pins and usually only at particular special promotions. Needless to say that is the only time I bought them due to the normal expense with out the promotion.

As far as the tool being beet up to the point of replacing before the battery was finally no good is pretty much true.

Shoot, everything is disposable. I have a disposable body. When this one is used up I will have to get a new one.

I've never had a problem with the batteries going out on any of the cordless drills I've owned.

Reason: I leave them at someone else's house that is always a one hour drive back to get at and I can't justify the time or the drive back for it so I just buy another one. Thats why I don't buy the DeWalts anymore. Buy the one's on sale.

I guess I need to attach a business card to them and I could write them off my taxes as an advertisement expense or promotional items.

rick

I guess maybe I take better care of my tools (this is not meant as a shot), because very few of them are beat up, or damaged. In fact, I am probably a freak because I am very picky about my tools and how I care for them and maintain them.
    I still have a couple 9 volt Makita drills that are probably close to 18 years old.

I bought the Dewalt drill at a charity auction several years ago. I was always impressed with the torque it had, though it was a little heavy for my taste.

I just have a problem I guess from a green standpoint, of tossing stuff into a landfill after a couple of years.

I used to just buy a drill kit with two batteries, and sell the new drill body and charger on E-Bay - always came out cheaper than buying the batteries.

Then I found We refill recell re-cell your Wireless Power Tool Battery

Michael Thomas
    Paragon Property Services Inc., Chicago IL
    http://paragoninspects.com

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Feldmann View Post
    I guess maybe I take better care of my tools (this is not meant as a shot), because very few of them are beat up, or damaged. In fact, I am probably a freak because I am very picky about my tools and how I care for them and maintain them.
    I still have a couple 9 volt Makita drills that are probably close to 18 years old.

I bought the Dewalt drill at a charity auction several years ago. I was always impressed with the torque it had, though it was a little heavy for my taste.

I just have a problem I guess from a green standpoint, of tossing stuff into a landfill after a couple of years.
    This might sound like Mr Disposable but, yes I always somewhat took care of my tools but when things are running hot and you need to get things done it was never spare the job save the tool. I really never cared. I never had the time (and yes it always is the time involved) to run tools to the repair shop. When I or someone working for me made a supply run I would just pick up another circular saw or cordless drill etc.

I know folks and maybe a lot on here would be dusting off and polishing those tools and tuck them away in a warm little blanket.

I have been in some form of construction all my life and I love tools but I never drew patterns on the peg board for the exact spot for bobby the ratchet wrench.

Jake Beeler Guest

About your batteries...I have had a 12v DeWalt for many years, and some 18v. Never paid retail new one. Take them to a battery shop and have them re-built for about 1/3 the price with better cells. Do not let people tell you it can't be done, I have several of them. The SUPER high $ batt in my Pelican flashlight..$12 at the battery shop. There is also an myth about Ni-Cad batts, that they will get a memory. This is only true with something that has a SLOW discharge. Fast discharge tools and lights will not get a memory. Not being a fan of DeWalt, I opt'd for Milwaukee's new V18 Lithium Ion....they have no power fade. But, they have a very annoying quirk that will not allow you to overwork them. Overload protection is how the Milwukee tech support calls it, it sucks! Finally, a weak DeWalt is better than a new Ryobi anyday.

Ken Bates Guest

Speaking of ink jet printers.

Here's my recommendation.

Purchase the Canon MP830 if you can still find them or its equivalent.

The Pigment black ink cartridge # is PGI-5BK

The colored (dye) cartridges are CLI-8Y, CLI-8M & CLI-8C and the black dye is CLI-8BK. ( all 5 cost a lot so you want to refill )

Over the years I have accumulated refill bottles which use caps with 21 guage needles with blunt ends. I also used to use medical syringes and needles (legal in my state).

I used to get top quality black ink for $15/liter but it is now $30.

I get my ink from a company a few miles north of Boston via UPS.

American Ink Jet - Developer and Manufacturer of ink jet inks since 1983!

I have not tried their color inks in my Canon. I have some left from the time I used to refill my Hewlett Packard office jet.

I am using the colored inks sold by a Canadian? company (on the Canada/Maine border) http:Inkjet Cartridges, HP Inkjet Cartridge Refills, Canon, Epson Printer Ink Cartridges (inexpensive but the quality of their black pigment ink is poor. Their color inks perfectly match those sold by Canon. The appeal of Atlantic is their kits that come with a few refill gadgets --- i.e. removal screws and clips to cover the cartridges while refilling and waiting for them to equilibrate ( after about 30 mins they will not leak without the clips ) only one clip with a kit so purchase 4 more for about $5.

When the ink runs out you punch down the plastic bead into the holding chamber (or try to screw it out) and fill with a syringe ( I now have small squeezable plastic bottles with needle caps )

I use a hot melt glue gun (got for <$4) to seal the holes.

The first time you refill the Canon you will get a message. It warns it will not be responsible for using refills ( they hint they will negate your warranty --- my unit has outlived its extended warranty flawlessly- awesomely without a hiccup )
    Just hold down the STOP/RESET button for >5 secs. and your home free forever. I love my MP830 so much that I have another in an unopened box.

It may sound like a lot of hassle but now I spend about 10-15 minutes refilling and print B&W and color practically for free.

PIXMA ink is awesome but no refillers have figured out the proprietary formula
    (formulas are patented) Amjet comes closest with their imitation Catalogue # 114CBK-4613
    AMJETS PIXMA color inks are the 114 series --E.g. 114 ccy, cma, cye, and cpk for the black dye ink.

You can't imagine the joy and freedom of easy refilling for just a few bucks a cycle on the Canon PIXMA all in one printers.

UPDATE: I should have checked things before I posted. I just visited the ATLANTIC site and think the kits I got for practically nothing may not be available. They now sell the inks for $14/8oz and $39/Liter (still not bad) it seems they don't sell the cartridge clips. but go to the site and get the phone # and call. They were helpful and friendly.

As for AMJET --- they don't post prices but they are also friendly and helpful and operate with Swiss efficiency and competence. They are top shelf and may be cheaper or close to Atlantic for price.

Also: ATLANTIC sells syringes with needles. I would recommend the 60cc unit (2oz.) for $1.45 each. Suck up 60 cc's from an 8oz bottle and refill 6 times. That leaves about 6oz in the bottle for about 18 more cartidge refills. Color cartidges hold almost 10 cc's and the pigment black about 15 cc's. (Pigment black is just for pure b&w printing) (the dye black and the cyan, magenta and yellow are blended for color printing.)

The key thing is to be sure the Canon printer you buy used the PGI-5 for black and the CLI series for color. Of course there may be other cartridges that can be easily and successfully refilled. I must have refilled mine about 20 times over a four year period with perfect results and no need to clean or adjust print heads.

Last edited by Ken Bates; 03-13-2009 at 01:55 PM. Reason: Update info.

Ken, thanks for the printer ink info. I'm going to look into it.

Ted,
    I am far from a peg board and painted tool shadow guy. IN fact, my wife rags on me all the time because she feels my shop is just a unorganized mess. I guess to someone else, it is, but I know where stuff is.

I too, spent a lot of time in construction. But I am a firm believer in using the proper tool for the job at hand. I don't use a cordless drill as a hammer, or a screwdriver as a drill.

I've been on job sites and watched guys burn out the motors on their skill saws because they were to cheap, stupid, or stubborn to change a dull blade. I've watch idiots throw tools off 2nd floor framing because something pissed them off. Yeah, a drill bit snapped, so they trash the drill by throwing it to the slab 20 feet below.

My Dad was a fireman before he went into the family construction business (my Grandfather's). Firemen spend a lot of their time taking care of their equipment. Cleaning and checking it out after a job, and preventative maintenance between jobs. I guess he carried that work ethic to tools and passed it on.

I guess I have been very lucky with power tools. I can't say the same for air nailers. If there is one tool that seemed to break down more than any other, it's those damn nailers. I bet I had more rebuilt kits and o-rings than some suppliers. I got pretty fast at doing a full rebuild in the field.

Wow, talk about thread drift.

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Feldmann View Post
    Ken, thanks for the printer ink info. I'm going to look into it.

Ted,
    I am far from a peg board and painted tool shadow guy. IN fact, my wife rags on me all the time because she feels my shop is just a unorganized mess. I guess to someone else, it is, but I know where stuff is.

I too, spent a lot of time in construction. But I am a firm believer in using the proper tool for the job at hand. I don't use a cordless drill as a hammer, or a screwdriver as a drill.

I've been on job sites and watched guys burn out the motors on their skill saws because they were to cheap, stupid, or stubborn to change a dull blade. I've watch idiots throw tools off 2nd floor framing because something pissed them off. Yeah, a drill bit snapped, so they trash the drill by throwing it to the slab 20 feet below.

My Dad was a fireman before he went into the family construction business (my Grandfather's). Firemen spend a lot of their time taking care of their equipment. Cleaning and checking it out after a job, and preventative maintenance between jobs. I guess he carried that work ethic to tools and passed it on.

I guess I have been very lucky with power tools. I can't say the same for air nailers. If there is one tool that seemed to break down more than any other, it's those damn nailers. I bet I had more rebuilt kits and o-rings than some suppliers. I got pretty fast at doing a full rebuild in the field.

Wow, talk about thread drift.
    Now that is one tool I spent a lot of money on repairing and replacing. They save such a serious amount of time they are worth their weight in gold. A man with a nail gun nailing a wall together compared to hand nailing is impossiblr to even come close to.

Now as far as throwing tools on the concrete, nah, I never, oh waite a minute, oh yeah, done that also (probably a few times over the decades) trying to squeeze that last bit of life out of it and the frustration buids to that boiling point. Better the tool than your helper.

Jim Zborowski Guest

You might want to check around for a place that specializes in batteries.
    They can sell you replacements cheaper than the brand names. We have a place in town that all they do is sell every kind of battery possible, and have a service where you can bring in your cordless batteries and they somehow rejuvinate them. Don't know how it works, but I had some craftsman ones for my drill that wouldn't hold a charge. Now they do.

1. The nicad batteries in the older dewalts can be zapped back to life. They form crystals which cuts down the life of the battery. Take a arc welder or jumper cables on your car. Place one end on the negative and start zapping the the other end. You will be surprised how well the battery works after that!

Mike Schulz License 393
    Affordable Home Inspections
    www.houseinspections.com

MIke,
    I heard of that but haven't tried it. I don't have an arc welder, but I do have jumper cables

Here's a link, scroll down to comments for other options.
    Revive Nicad Batteries by Zapping with a Welder

Mike Schulz License 393
    Affordable Home Inspections
    www.houseinspections.com