Thread: Fuse Question

mike smith Guest

Default Fuse Question

I want to start of saying that I am TOTALLY STUPID when it comes to air conditioners. That being said, I have a question. I had an air conditioner installed about 8 years ago and never knew I needed a permit until now, when I am selling my condo. I had to pay an electrician $150 to fill out the permit form and seal it. The air conditioner is working fine. However, when the Town Electrical inspector came yesterday, he looked at the fuse box, but part of the label on the fuse was worn out, so he failed me. The failure label says "Unable to read fuse size. "Must be 20 amp max." I took a closer look at the label with a flashlight and if you look on the very top, upside down, you can see "30 amps." Now, I have an arcoaire unit and it says 20 amp max. My fear is that even if the inspector comes back and is able to read "30 amps" on the fuse, he might still fail me, since 20 amp is the max. What do you think I should do? I really don't want to pay more money for electrician to come by when maybe it's something simple. Please let me know. Thanks.

Similar Threads:
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: Fuse Question

Quote Originally Posted by mike smith View Post
    I had to pay an electrician $150 to fill out the permit form and seal it. The air conditioner is working fine. However, when the Town Electrical inspector came yesterday, he looked at the fuse box, but part of the label on the fuse was worn out, so he failed me. The failure label says "Unable to read fuse size. "Must be 20 amp max."

What do you think I should do?
    Call the electrician and tell him that HIS work failed inspection and that you paid HIM so it would not, and he filled out and sealed the permit form *STATING IT WAS OKAY*, so, get back out here and MAKE IT OKAY, and, by the way, here is the bill for the re-inspection fee for YOU to pay.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

I am with Jerry on this one, take the inspector to task!

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Wand View Post
    I am with Jerry on this one, take the inspector to task!
    Raymond,

The ELECTRICIAN, ... not the "inspector".

The electrician was looking to make an easy 150 bucks, guess he should have looked things over FIRST, THEN put his name on it.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Yes, if the inspector is up to par, he will fail an over-sized fuse. It needs to match the requirements of the A/C unit data plate. The electrician should have caught this.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

In my opinion, for 150 bucks, the electrician should have looked at those and said 'Hmmm ... can't really read those labels much anymore, so I'll replace them with two NEW fuses which I know are properly sized.'

*THAT* is what you paid him for.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com