Kevin Luce Guest

Default Grounding connector

I was wondering what you think about this electrical connection from the grounding rod. Everything I have read in the 2005 NEC so far reads that the connection needs to be done by "listed means".

Does this clamp appear to you to be a listed clamp for this application?

Does this application meet the standards used by electricians in your area.

I really don't like that there is another wire connected to this clamp and thinking the NEC talks about that but I cannot find it.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Crawl Space Creeper

Ted Menelly Guest

Default Re: Grounding connector

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Luce View Post
    I was wondering what you think about this electrical connection from the grounding rod. Everything I have read in the 2005 NEC so far reads that the connection needs to be done by "listed means".

Does this clamp appear to you to be a listed clamp for this application?

Does this application meet the standards used by electricians in your area.

I really don't like that there is another wire connected to this clamp and thinking the NEC talks about that but I cannot find it.
    I don't think that hose type clamp is listed anywhere for connecting ground wires and what is that multi wire ground coming from?

Fred Warner Guest

In addition to other concerns, I would start at the perforated strap-type grounding clamp not being listed for the power system grounding electrode conductor; then, dissimilar metals in contact with each other; then, the lack of thoroughness of the connection/termination.

Kevin Luce Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Menelly View Post
    I don't think that hose type clamp is listed anywhere for connecting ground wires and what is that multi wire ground coming from?
    Grounding Rod.

Fred Warner wrote:
    In addition to other concerns, I would start at the perforated strap-type grounding clamp not being listed for the power system grounding electrode conductor; then, dissimilar metals in contact with each other; then, the lack of thoroughness of the connection/termination.
    Didn't think about the copper and galvanized connection.

Not only is that an improper connection as Fred said, but that strap looks to have been used to connect the phone ground to that metal conduit.

Without knowing how many other grounding electrode conductors there are, and presuming that there is but that one as it goes to a ground rod, than that one grounding electrode conductor needs to terminate back at the service equipment, not be strapped to that metal raceway ... not even if strapped with a proper and listed pipe clamp.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Fred Warner Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Not only is that an improper connection as Fred said, but that strap looks to have been used to connect the phone ground to that metal conduit.

Without knowing how many other grounding electrode conductors there are, and presuming that there is but that one as it goes to a ground rod, than that one grounding electrode conductor needs to terminate back at the service equipment, not be strapped to that metal raceway ... not even if strapped with a proper and listed pipe clamp.
    Jerry, I'm thinking that if the grounding electrode conductor comes from the grounding electrode (ground rod in this case) and terminates (poorly) on the galvanized conduit, then the conduit itself has become a grounding electrode conductor from there to the service equipment. This looks to be a terribly incompetent install, huh?

Last edited by Fred Warner; 03-17-2009 at 06:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Warner View Post
    Jerry, I'm thinking that if the grounding electrode conductor comes from the grounding electrode (ground rod in this case) and terminates (poorly) on the galvanized conduit, then the conduit itself has become a grounding electrode conductor from there to the service equipment.
    Fred,

My thinking was that if it came from the ground rod (and the house and installation does not look "new"), it is likely that the ground rod is the only grounding electrode installed, in which case that grounding electrode conductor needs to be one piece, exothermically welded at the "splice", or a have an irreversible compression-type connector at the "splice".

This looks to be a terribly incompetent install, huh?
    Agree there.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Kevin Luce Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    ...than that one grounding electrode conductor needs to terminate back at the service equipment, not be strapped to that metal raceway ... not even if strapped with a proper and listed pipe clamp.
    I know you're right but where is that mentioned in the NEC? I'm looking in Article 250 for the answer.

Kevin,

This is what I am referring to.

(underlining is mine)
    - 250.24 Grounding Service-Supplied Alternating-Current Systems.
    - - (A) System Grounding Connections. A premises wiring system supplied by a grounded ac service shall have a grounding electrode conductor connected to the grounded service conductor, at each service, in accordance with 250.24(A)(1) through (A)(5).
    - - - (1) General. The grounding electrode conductor connection shall be made at any accessible point from the load end of the service drop or service lateral to and including the terminal or bus to which the grounded service conductor is connected at the service disconnecting means.
    - - - - FPN: See definitions of Service Drop and Service Lateral in Article 100.

- 250.64 Grounding Electrode Conductor Installation.
    - - (C) Continuous. Grounding electrode conductor(s) shall be installed in one continuous length without a splice or joint except as permitted in (1) and (2):
    - - - (1) Splicing shall be permitted only by irreversible compression-type connectors listed as grounding and bonding equipment or by the exothermic welding process.
    - - - (2) Sections of busbars shall be permitted to be connected together to form a grounding electrode conductor.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Kevin Luce Guest

I see. Thanks.