Gayle Price Guest

Lightbulb New to Inspection News

Hello all! I came across the site while googling for some info. I will be coming back often, as I frequently search for answers when confronted with something new. I am in Central Texas and have been doing home inspections for about 6 months. That will tell you I still have a lot to learn and am excited to find so much information here.

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: New to Inspection News

Welcome to inspection news.

Michael Thomas
    Paragon Property Services Inc., Chicago IL
    http://paragoninspects.com

Gayle Price Guest

Thanks, Michael.

Welcome Gayle,

Are you the same as Paula Price which is listed with TREC? I see no Gayle as a Licensed inspector on the website.

rick

Gayle Price Guest

Hello Rick,
    No, I am not the same as Paula. I am not licensed. I have only done exterior inspections consisting of photos, measurements, etc. I also enjoy doing Merchant Site Inspections.
    Thanks for the welcome.
    Gayle

Denny L West Guest

Cool Re: New to Inspection News

Gayle: I beleive that in the state of Texas you need to be lisc. in order to do any type of home inspections . On the other hand If you are doing field inspections for assset companys that is totaly differant and dose not qualify you as an inspector. correct me if Im wrong . But welcome and good luck .

Gayle Price Guest

Wink Re: New to Inspection News

Hi Denny,
    Ok, I stand corrected. Yes, the proper term would be Field Inspections. I fell into the generic trap of "Insurance Inspections" so many use. That is not fair to those of you that have licenses, education, expertise and knowledge far beyond what just a field inspector can do. From looking around the site and email questions, I realize I am on the bottom rung of the ladder.

But, with all said, I will use this site to broaden my knowledge and maybe even pick up a few leads for work.

Thanks for being nice!
    Gayle

Gayle,

May I ask what is a merchant inspection? and who are you doing these inspections for and what type of reports are they?

rick

Denny L West Guest

Smile Re: New to Inspection News

Rick : Merchant Inspections is really not the proper term what Gail means is Feild Inspections . they are for assset companys that only require a condition report or a location report generally all they want is exterior photos so to locate and get a rough Ideas what the property Looks like . I do afew here and there they dont pay well . Unless you get alot tod in the same area each day. hope that helps Have a great day DL West

Denny L West Guest

Gayle there is alot to learn You can go to NACHI.org take the online test to see if you can be a home inspector .Then pay the due usually around 285.00 get certified then find out how to get your Lisc. for Texas . And be apart Of an elite team of men and women and make some good money good luck and God Bless Denny West / Top To Bottom Inspection Services Bowling Green OHio .

Gayle Price Guest

Rick, Merchant Site Inspections involve an interview with the owner or a manager of a business to verify business information. When a businesses takes credit cards they have a merchant account with credit card companies. Site Inspections are required to make sure the business is who they say they are and everything is legitimate. Trying to keep a check on fraud. Pictures and a simple report in a 48 hour turn around time. Have also have done Occupancy Verifications for the same company - Trinity Inspections out of Dallas, TX. Really great people and company to work with.

They don't pay a great deal, but sometimes it takes the little potatoes to fill the bag!
    Gayle

Denny L West Guest

oops my mistake on the merchant youre right . I have only done property location and condition didnt want to get involved in the merchant .

Richard Stanley Guest

You could have one of your pets or children take the nachi exam and achieve the same results.

mike huntzinger Guest

Smile Re: New to Inspection News

Welcome gayle i would recommend ASHI for the best assosiation in the field of home inspection,

Michael Larson Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Stanley View Post
    You could have one of your pets or children take the nachi exam and achieve the same results.
    I want to buy the dog or cat that has passed the NACHI exam.

This old canard never dies.

Denny L West Guest

Im sorry you Guys feel that way I didnt Condem ASHI OR NAHI cause I dont belong to that Orginazations But how ever They all work under the same Code of Ethics and By laws . we are to treat our other inspectors wether they are NACHI < ASHI < or Even NAHI with respect we all learn from differant sources and in differant ways . But we all do the same We Inspect Homes for Our Clients and I happen to treat My cLients with that same respect and I never bad mouth any Inspector . So Gayle What ever Orgainazation You choose that your choice Because they all are Good . You Other Guys Out there Have a Good DAy Denny L West a proud NACHI Inspector Beside My dog is Blind and Cant hear Or Other wise I have him Go in the crawl space HA HA

Quote Originally Posted by Denny L West View Post
    Gayle there is alot to learn You can go to NACHI.org take the online test to see if you can be a home inspector .Then pay the due usually around 285.00 get certified then find out how to get your Lisc. for Texas . And be apart Of an elite team of men and women and make some good money good luck and God Bless Denny West / Top To Bottom Inspection Services Bowling Green OHio .
    I was wondering how one became a certified home inspector with no training or experience, I bet that is an elite group of folks!

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Denny L West Guest

Well you just dont take a test and your an inspector. Come on get real here guys . some times people feel they are the only ones that are or can be inspectors . You dont become an accountant with out first studying . and we know that you can get that education about any where now a days . On line, class room, or going to a credited school and getting hands on training , I did for get to mention I have 15 years in the construction Trade and know my way around a home . as far as the other guys I dont argue or point out how they came about being a home inspector. We all are differant and learn in differant ways . some are born with a natueral talent to learn quickly by studing .some need class room experiance. some learn hands on . some all three . when I became an Auto mechanic at age 12 I did it becaus I had a knack to take something apart and put it back together . I worked with my father and Grand father and never went to school to learn that trade . Ran a very succesful business in Texas for over 11 years . I became a home inspector because I wanted to do something differant . and so far nop complaints from any one except differant trade orginazations . wow how differant we all can be and still get along .

Richard Stanley Guest

But wait! Now the membership is available FREE on Ebay.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=310123016677

Last edited by Richard Stanley; 03-09-2009 at 09:53 AM. Reason: add free

Denny L West Guest

Yes it is but you still have to take all credited courses and pass before you can get the cert. Besides that company buys alot of memberships and Promote their software . Like other organizations dont ? The test are not that easy to take you still have to study just like any thing else .besides what makes you better than I ? we both had to start some where . Let your Knowlage lead you . and try not to step on any toes .have a great day .

Quote Originally Posted by Denny L West View Post
    Well you just dont take a test and your an inspector. Come on get real here guys . some times people feel they are the only ones that are or can be inspectors . You dont become an accountant with out first studying . and we know that you can get that education about any where now a days . On line, class room, or going to a credited school and getting hands on training , I did for get to mention I have 15 years in the construction Trade and know my way around a home . as far as the other guys I dont argue or point out how they came about being a home inspector. We all are differant and learn in differant ways . some are born with a natueral talent to learn quickly by studing .some need class room experiance. some learn hands on . some all three . when I became an Auto mechanic at age 12 I did it becaus I had a knack to take something apart and put it back together . I worked with my father and Grand father and never went to school to learn that trade . Ran a very succesful business in Texas for over 11 years . I became a home inspector because I wanted to do something differant . and so far nop complaints from any one except differant trade orginazations . wow how differant we all can be and still get along .
    Hey Denny,

It is just some friendly picking.

But, you must admit that if you pass the INACHI exam and send in the $289, you are a Certified Home Inspector in the eyes of INACHI. No training or experience is needed. They state on their site that you need to complete all of this and that, but you don't. They don't verify the reports like they say you must, and the list goes on and on.

I have no doubt that you know what you are doing. A persons association affiliation does not make the inspector, it is that persons knowledge and experience that make them.

Nick, the owner of INACHI is relentless with his public attacks of anyone that does not belong to his club and also against other associations. Most of us have gotten over him and his club, and after a year or two most of his members realize what they have joined and then they join either a state association or one of the older national home inspector organizations.

I guess if anyone could get Nick to stop then others would stops as well.

Last edited by Scott Patterson; 03-09-2009 at 10:27 AM.
    Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Denny L West Guest

Scott . Its not just Nick as I have heard others mock the orginazations . I know you are just picking and I see where you are coming from . I have no problems With Nick and believe that he and others involved with Nachi has worked hard to make it what it is today . I have been with them two years now .and I llike the educational programs and every thing they have to offer us . they also allow us to give our imput and Ideas . Just like any Orgn. they all think they are the best . get my meaning ? so good luck and much success to you From One Inspector to another . its whats on the inside that counts . God Bless have a good day .Denny L West InterNACHI Certified And Proud Of It

I think Nick is a great guy and a terrific marketing man, and that's exactly what he's done, mass marketed his concept to many inspectors in many locations - brillaint!

Up here, a local news reporter, with no construction experience whatsoever, took the on-line NACHI exam and she passed first try and televised it on the 6:00 news. Shot a big hole into NACHI's credibility and probably helped us in a small way to get provincial licensing. Now all the NACHI people are scrambling as their credentials are not Listed as being accepted. Someone with tons of experience can still challenge the board and have their credentials separately evaluated. The end of March '09 is D-day.

Boyd Webb Guest

Welcome!

Denny L West Guest

Smile Nachi is the best

NACHI is one of the best credited orginazations around and growing stronger everyday. Passing the test is one thing . Putting it to use with marketing and Knowleage and making a business of it is another . And I do believe That nachi is the largest orginazation out there . My hat off to Nick and all those who work hard at making Nachi what it is today. You still cant convince me that ASHI OR NAHI is better . I LOVE BEING NACHI CERTIFIED AND PROUD OF IT> Have a great day and God bless . D L West