Thread: Earth Homes

Jim Weyenberg Guest

Default Earth Homes

Guy's and gals,
    I need some direction here, I have an agent with a client looking at an earth home. That being completely earth covered except the south face. Not a whole lot of visible structure to be seen here. Tried a google search of earth homes and contractors in the area and struck out. I'm not even thinking of inspecting one of these, but could use some pointers on where to look for someone qualified to do an inspection on an earth home. Any and all thoughts appreciated.
    Thanks for the help ahead.

Jim Weyenberg
    HouseMaster Inc. NE. WI.

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Earth Homes

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Weyenberg View Post
    Guy's and gals,
    I need some direction here, I have an agent with a client looking at an earth home. That being completely earth covered except the south face. Not a whole lot of visible structure to be seen here. Tried a google search of earth homes and contractors in the area and struck out. I'm not even thinking of inspecting one of these, but could use some pointers on where to look for someone qualified to do an inspection on an earth home. Any and all thoughts appreciated.
    Thanks for the help ahead.

Jim Weyenberg
    HouseMaster Inc. NE. WI.
    First off it is not a conventional home design and unconventional things tend to act in unconventional ways!

I do know that several insurance companies will not insure them and you can not get an FHA or VA loan on them.

I did a quick google search and found several builders of Earthen Homes. You might be able to call one or with luck one might be in your area and they might help you out.

Last edited by Scott Patterson; 03-16-2009 at 08:27 AM.
    Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Jim Weyenberg Guest

Thanks Scott,
    I'll try that heading Earthen Homes and see what turns up. But that note about FHA and VA not approving them is huge. Thanks for the tip. Also the insurance co. Years ago a friend of mine had an earth home with no serious problems until a cow from the neighbors farm fell through his 4' X 4' sky light. What a surprise that was.
    Thanks Again Scott

Jim Weyenberg
    HouseMaster Inc.

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Weyenberg View Post
    Thanks Scott,
    I'll try that heading Earthen Homes and see what turns up. But that note about FHA and VA not approving them is huge. Thanks for the tip. Also the insurance co. Years ago a friend of mine had an earth home with no serious problems until a cow from the neighbors farm fell through his 4' X 4' sky light. What a surprise that was.
    Thanks Again Scott

Jim Weyenberg
    HouseMaster Inc.
    I guess only in Wisconson

A cow falling through a skylight. Now I would have paid good money to have seen that.

rick