Thread: ground rod

Default ground rod

I saw a ground rod sticking out of the ground about 4 feet.

What length do these rods come in?

Is it safe to assume that because 4 feet of it is exposed that the rest of the rod cannot be burried to the minimum of 8 feet?

Similar Threads:
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: ground rod

I don't know if they come in 12 foot lengths, but I would assume it does not have 8 feet in the ground unless proven otherwise.

"There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com

Fred Warner Guest

I'm familiar with the 8 feet in length grounding electrodes available at the typical electrical supply business and the 10 feet in length ones the poco often uses. Article 250 discusses the 8' ones and requires that when they're used they be driven the full depth and at not more than a 45 degree oblique angle. There are other alternatives, as well.

Quote Originally Posted by John Dirks Jr View Post
    I saw a ground rod sticking out of the ground about 4 feet.

What length do these rods come in?

Is it safe to assume that because 4 feet of it is exposed that the rest of the rod cannot be burried to the minimum of 8 feet?
    Yes, it is safe to presume that there is less than 8 feet in the ground and to call for an electrical contractor to verify proper grounding of the electrical system, including addressing the ground rod driven in with 4 feet left protruding above the ground for the required 8 feet minimum in earth.

That way you are identifying the issue and recommending the electrical contractor verify the proper installation of the ground rod.

Even when the ground rod was only sticking up 6", or less, I would write them up as not having the required 8 feet minimum in earth, and not that it is possible that the ground rod was a 10 foot long rod, and the electrician needs to verify proper installation. Which meant the electrician would either drive it all the way in or pull it out and check its length, which do you think would happen?

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com