Dave Taurinskas Guest

Default Pro-Flex gas line support

I need a quick answer. I am inspection a home that has a yellow gas lin running through a wall toward the end of a basement family room. The flex comes intop the room about 1 1/2 ft above the floor and 6 inched out from the end wall. From there it runs about 8 feet, then connects to another 3 ft flex pipe (Stainless), the to the free standing fireplace. Can you have a gas line running across a room like that??? The way it is you could bend it, crush it, something could fall on it and puncture it or shear it off by the hole in the wall.

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1

Timothy M. Barr Guest

Default Re: Pro-Flex gas line support

Here in Stark county has to be black pipe to the flex line for stove, fireplaces, and driers except hot water tank still has to be black pipe all way the unit. If it can be reached by a child I recommend black pipe

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Taurinskas View Post
    I need a quick answer. I am inspection a home that has a yellow gas lin running through a wall toward the end of a basement family room. The flex comes intop the room about 1 1/2 ft above the floor and 6 inched out from the end wall. From there it runs about 8 feet, then connects to another 3 ft flex pipe (Stainless), the to the free standing fireplace. Can you have a gas line running across a room like that??? The way it is you could bend it, crush it, something could fall on it and puncture it or shear it off by the hole in the wall.
    CSST pipe like you have described should not be exposed, it is designed for use in walls, attics, and other untraveled areas. If they used black pipe, and if it was OK with the local utility then that is what should be used.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Dave see following link it may help you evaluate installation of a CSST gas line.http://www.gastite.com/include/langu...8_DI_Guide.pdf

I don't see anything in the Gastite manual, or any of the manuals, not even the ProFlex CSST manual, which requires installation in concealed areas.

They all do state, however, that for concealed installation, special care and protection is to be made for protection against physical damage.

That said, though, the exposed section running across the floor is, obviously, exposed to physical damage would need to be protected from same. That would be done by installation of running boards on both sides, which, of course, would create another problem: a trip hazard.

Then there is the proper support for the CSST piping, which could be done by supporting to the protective running boards which are installed and which are now trip hazards.

In the ProFlex installation manual, 4.0 Installation/Practices Guidelines, at 20., states: "Along Side of a structure: When installed along the outside of a structure (between the ground and height of 6 ft) in an exposed condition, the CSST shall be protected from mechanical damage inside a conduit or chase. A conduit or chase is not required if the tubing is installed in a location that will not subject the CSST to mechanical damage."

That, to me, would also apply to interior exposed locations where exposed to physical (mechanical) damage.

The above is repeated in 4.3 Routing, c) Along side a structure.

What I did not see in there which is in the other manuals such as Gastite, and I only skimmed through the ProFlex manual, was the requirement that all ends of the CSST be terminated into a proper fitting which is rigidly mounted, but it is in the other manuals so it is likely in this manual - which means that the CSST could not go directly to a flexible appliance connector, there is required to be a rigidly mounted and approved fitting at the end of the CSST.

Thus, no matter how you look at it, that installation would be wrong.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

another big item to keep in mind is the BONDING of csst gas tubing.
    There was major issues with this type of gas tubing caused by near by lighning strikes. These strikes caused pin holes to be blown in the tubing.
    This caused gas leaks,and we all know what happens then!
    Google "csst" and read all about it.
    Some helpful links to highlight the issue.
    CSST Settlement - Home Page
    CSST Settlement - Frequently Asked Questions
    http://permittingservices.montgomery...g/pdf/csst.pdf

Last edited by ken horak; 03-20-2009 at 07:02 PM. Reason: wording

Dave Taurinskas Guest

Thanks guys,

I think I was on the right track because I did tag it as an incorrect installation but second guessed myself and start asking the local P& H contractors. The local heating and plumbing contractors were all over the place with their answers. I got even more confused.

So Thanks again!