Stephen Shockley Guest

Smile Newbie to the Group and Home Inspections

Hi,

I thought I would introduce myself. I'm working at getting into the Home Inspection business. I took the training a year ago and got my liscense back in October. In this economy it is taking me a lot longer to get things rolling than what I had wanted, however, my wife and I both lost our jobs at the beginning of June last year within 8 days of each other. I'm a full time Lean Manufacturing Design Engineer for an Aerospace Completions company. It took me 12 weeks to get this job and hoping I can hang on to it until this economy takes a turn for the better. Meanwhile...

I'm hoping someone can tell me their views on the XL Pro Legacy inspection system. I'm an Excel nut, so this one seemed to catch my attention.

I've done only one inspection so far and it was a nightmare. I did it for free because it was for my daughter. When I showed up for the inspection I soon learned that the owners wanted to be there for the inspection along with their realtor. Nothing like having the owners follow your every move and bug you to death every time they think you might think something is wrong.

Anyhow, thanks for the opportunity for letting me join this group and I look forward to learning from everyone.

Regards,

Steve

Shore-Footed Property Services, LLC

Similar Threads:
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: Newbie to the Group and Home Inspections

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Shockley View Post
    Hi,

I thought I would introduce myself. I'm working at getting into the Home Inspection business. I took the training a year ago and got my liscense back in October. In this economy it is taking me a lot longer to get things rolling than what I had wanted, however, my wife and I both lost our jobs at the beginning of June last year within 8 days of each other. I'm a full time Lean Manufacturing Design Engineer for an Aerospace Completions company. It took me 12 weeks to get this job and hoping I can hang on to it until this economy takes a turn for the better. Meanwhile...

I'm hoping someone can tell me their views on the XL Pro Legacy inspection system. I'm an Excel nut, so this one seemed to catch my attention.

I've done only one inspection so far and it was a nightmare. I did it for free because it was for my daughter. When I showed up for the inspection I soon learned that the owners wanted to be there for the inspection along with their realtor. Nothing like having the owners follow your every move and bug you to death every time they think you might think something is wrong.

Anyhow, thanks for the opportunity for letting me join this group and I look forward to learning from everyone.

Regards,

Steve

Shore-Footed Property Services, LLC

Welcome to the board Steve,

Your comment highligted above always catches my attention with new inspectors. You've got to grab that bull by the horns at the beginning of the inspection and let the sellers know that you cannot have them following your every move while you do "Your Job".

If it becomes a problem, you need to take the realtor aside and explain to them that is best if the sellers aren't there.

I always ask the listing agent of every home I inspect to have the seller away from the home while I'm there. They get way to sensitive about everything and take it personally if you say anything negative about the home. They take it as your saying they have not maintained there home.

Plus you can't talk your client about defects without having to defend yourself when in front of the sellers.

Just my advise and best of luck to you

Rick

Stephen Shockley Guest

Default Re: Newbie to the Group and Home Inspections

Thanks Rick, your points are my future plans exactly. Regards, Steve