Reggie Russell Guest

Question Hello from Alabama!

Hey Guys,

First I want to thank all of you who take the time out to share your wealth of knowledge with newbies such as myself. I am in desperate need of some advice and help. Here is my situation; I have worked in the Manufacturing field for most of my life, I have suffered being laid off 3 times since the year 2000. My most recent layoff came in June of last year and due to the faltering economy have still yet to find a job. I was already tired of working for someone else and the last 8 years have made me tired of also being repeatedly laid off. To make a long story shorter, I went to Kaplan's ITA School in Nashville last year, took and passed the National Home Inspector's Exam, applied for membership to ASHI and passed their test as well. I am a pretty good study and fast learner, but I have no construction background experience. I have tried desperately to get someone to take me on a ride-a-long for experience's sake, but to no avail. It seems due to not many homes being sold people don't want to help someone else get in the business. While I understand that, I really don't have much choice but to go forward with my plans anyway. I have already spent thousands of dollars and have come this far, it is too late for me to turn back now. Besides, I am not finding work in the Manufacturing field anyway. I have my city license and most of my tools bought, I am currently in the process of buying insurance so I can get my state license. Any ideas for ways to get my feet wet without getting in over my head into a situation that might embarrass me in front of a client? Any advice you guys could give me would be greatly appreciated!

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: Hello from Alabama!

Quote Originally Posted by Reggie Russell View Post
    Any ideas for ways to get my feet wet without getting in over my head into a situation that might embarrass me in front of a client?
    Any advice you guys could give me would be greatly appreciated!
    Welcome to the Board Reggie,

Before you get your license you could Practice on friends & family's homes.
    * write the reports

Start Building a Web site.
    * check out other Inspectors web sites.

Tell everybody you meet that you are a Home Inspector.
    * yes Everybody and give them a business Card.

Attend your local ASHI Meetings.

Join your states Home Inspector Association.

Attend a couple of different BNI ( Business Network International ) Group meetings.

Research the archives on this site.

Live it, breath it ,
    *checkout construction site on the Weekends.

Be Persistent.
    *and patient.

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

Fred Warner Guest

Welcome and good luck and best wishes.

Ted Menelly Guest

Welcome

Oh yeah

Don't take your skateboard with you to the inspections

Oh yeah

A L A B A M A !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry Had to just say that

One more thing

When you first get out there try to have your clients give you a head start by an hour or 2. You will feel very pressured for your first home inspections being new and all. You need a relaxing inspection time frame for your first inspections.

Reggie,

Try this: Find an inspector, even someone on this board, who is ready for a tag-a-long gopher to help on their inspections, someone NOT in your area, heck, even not in your state.

Setup working for them for a month if possible, meaning you will need to make living arrangement in their area for that month, go home on weekends if the drive is short enough to allow it for some R&R, then hit it again the next week.

That way, there will not be any concern about 'training someone who is in my market and will be my competition'.

I'm sure there are some here who still have enough inspections to make that worthwhile. You may even have to pay them for training you - work out an agreeable amount.

Compared to what you've spent, and if you are serious about staying in the profession, then that effort and cost will be worth it 100 times over.

When you are through with the month, you will know the basics in real time and real life inspections, and you will not be a threat to the home inspector who taught you as your market area will be far removed from their market area - but try to keep similarly constructed houses, i.e., living in Alabama you would not want to go learn in South Florida where heating is almost optional and most homes are on slabs, you will want to go laterally across the country, say Georgia or Mississippi, no need to go to Maine either, they actually use heat there most of the time and they have basements.

Just a suggestion.

Guys, if Reggie goes that route, any willing takers?

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Reggie
    I might can help you.
    I am in Columbus GA, you can call me at 706 221 1495.

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

Reggie Russell Guest

Thanks guys for the responses!

Rick - Thanks so much! I would really appreciate that. When would be the best time to call you?

The earlier the better, but you can call any time.
    If I answer and don't swear, that's a good time.

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

Hi Reggie,

What is your location in AL.

I know that the ASHI chapter is fairly active, they have quarterly meetings near Birmingham. That would be a good place to meet and talk with other inspectors. I would try and find an inspector that is an hour or two away and see if you can shadow or do a parallel inspection with them.

Right now business is sporadic, last week I had 9 inspections and this week I have three and one of those is an EIFS inspection. The way the market is now makes it difficult to setup an inspection with someone that wants to follow around. You might find yourself driving several hours to go on an inspection.

I don't know your location in AL, but I have an afternoon job this Thursday about an hour north of Nashville, if you want to tag along. Fairly small house, I think it is around 2000sf with a basement.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Reggie Russell Guest

Hey Scott,

I live in Decatur, that sounds great to me. Just let me know how you think the best way to arrange this would be. I can either meet you at your house, the house you will be inspecting, or some neutral site. However you would like to do this is fine with me.

Hey Scott,

I live in Decatur, that sounds great to me. Just let me know how you think the best way to arrange this would be. I can either meet you at your house, the house you will be inspecting, or some neutral site. However you would like to do this is fine with me.
    Call me later today after 4pm, I'm heading to a job now.
    615-302-1113

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Reggie Russell Guest

I won't be able to call until sometime between 8 and 9 tonight. Let me know if that will be too late.

I won't be able to call until sometime between 8 and 9 tonight. Let me know if that will be too late.
    Yep, I will be at a church meeting. Try tomorrow, I should be able to talk around noon or so.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post
    Yep, I will be at a church meeting. Try tomorrow, I should be able to talk around noon or so.
    Yep. Never stop inspecting. This time you will be inspecting your soul