Thread: Sub Panel

David Shipe Guest

Default Re: Sub Panel

Don't have answer for your question but I'd like to clarify. Perhaps it would be better to say four conductors. In our area most wiring is in metal conduit which serves as a conductor. So for subpanel, three wires in conduit would suffice.

Eric Barker, ACI
    Lake Barrington, IL

Hmmm ... I'm having trouble finding the term "subpanel" or "sub panel" in my 2002 NEC ...
    Maybe Jerry P. knows something about this ...

"There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com

Kevin Luce Guest

We have a trouble maker here.

I resemble that remark.

"There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com

Richard Rushing Guest

make the bad man go away....

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Evil. Pure evil.

The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.
    - Paul Fix

I've only seen one "sub panel", it was in a "submarine", so it *was* a "sub panel".

The question, I think, is when did the NEC require the neutral to be bonded 'only at' the "service equipment".

Without going back and checking through my old codes, I'm guessing that it was 'aways' that way, just not clearly stated as such. I' think I recall that the wording was clarified in the 1920s, with continued clarification in subsequent codes as needed, ending up with the current wording.

Regardless, though, of when the code clarified the wording, it is not safe and should be written up when found - however old the house is.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Okay, who are you and what have you done with Jerry? If you hurt him, we'll hunt you done like dogs.

The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.
    - Paul Fix