John Korupp Guest

Question Pan for 2nd Story Washing Machine

I am having trouble finding the code that requires the installation of a pan below a second story washing machine in California. Can anyone cite it for me?
    Thank you!

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Pan for 2nd Story Washing Machine

I don't know about CA, but I do not think it is required in the 06 IRC. I have not seen it enforced in my area, which is on the 06 IRC, but that doesn't mean a whole lot.

It probably should be, and is certainly a good idea, but not required. I guess there are tubs and toilets up there already, what more can a washing machine hurt.

Jim Robinson
    New Mexico, USA

Robert Olson Guest

Default Re: Pan for 2nd Story Washing Machine

I can't find one in the ICC codes. That being said, if the panis for overflow, then subs, sinks, toilets and bidets would have the same requirement. I would check with the local city ordinances and as a last resort, recommend it as a possible homewoners insurance discount. When we purchased our first home our agent had a claims inspector come out and recommended a few things such as the drain pan, power crawlspace vents, etc. While not required they are a "common sense" thing. Nothing worse than having soggy drywall fall on the pool table followed by sudsy water - makes a bank shot harder.

John Korupp Guest

Smile Re: Pan for 2nd Story Washing Machine

Yes, and I suppose it could prevent a "flood" of calls to the condo association. Thanks for the help!