Default How do you recommend they hire an electrician

I see posts (and reports) all the time that state: Hire a licensed electrician, Hire a professional electrician and so on.

Question: When you write your reports do you suggest that the owner of the structure "Hire a licensed electrician" ,"Hire a professional electrician" or "Hire a licensed electrical contractor"?

Do any of you throw in the word "insured"?
    Hire a licensed and INSURED electrician, hire a licensed and INSURED electrical contractor.

Maybe even go one more step and add a line about verifying the electricians license and insurance.

Just curious

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: How do you recommend they hire an electrician

Ken,

Don't get overboard with your comments.

I just say Call a Licensed Electrical Contractor, and leave it that.

No need to start with the insured comments. Next thing someone will be saying Call a Licensed And Insured Electrical contractor with a clear criminal background check.

rick

When I recommend an electrician or for that matter just about any professional, I say this; Hire a qualified and licensed ____________.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

I used to say "licensed and qualified", then after some discussion here where 'to be licensed' makes one "qualified" and 'to be qualified' means one is "licensed", and someone, I think it was Brandon Chew, an engineer, brought up the word "competent", resulting in many of us agreeing (after more posting and explanation of what that benefit would be) that "licensed and competent" as one could be "licensed and qualified" yet not be "competent", and, one could be "competent" but not "licensed and qualified".

So I've been saying "licensed and competent".

Besides, if they are licensed, and if their licensing authority requires insurance, they will be insured. There is no need to bring "insured" into the picture, that would be a legal requirement (or not), as the case may be.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Jerry,

We might want to add in to that recommendation that the Electrician be up to date on any CEU training requirements that his home state may be requiring.

and that his truck have current registration and inspection stickers present.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Hurst View Post
    Jerry,

We might want to add in to that recommendation that the Electrician be up to date on any CEU training requirements that his home state may be requiring.

and that his truck have current registration and inspection stickers present.

Rick,

I like it.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

I suggest think that at the least it should be recommended to verify License and Insurance.
    Just because the Jurisdiction requires licensing and insurance does not mean one has it.
    Insurance payments lapse /don't get paid, policy's get cancelled, License's are suspended.
    If you have a license and it is suspended - technically you are still licensed ( just suspended)
    I have a professional license, I have it inactive (shelved) no insurance needed as it is inactive -yet I am still licensed in that profession.

I hear all the chatter about going above and beyond the minimum,protecting the customer,inspecting opinions & "common sense".
    It just seems that this would be one more short comment added to the sentence. A simple word INSURED.
    I would think that as a group of "Professionals" you would be on board with this.

Rick- as far as back grounds - maybe just make sure their not on the sexual predator list Their truck insurance /registration won't pay for replacement of a structure when some uninsured hack burns it down

Last edited by ken horak; 03-24-2009 at 05:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ken horak View Post
    I suggest think that at the least it should be recommended to verify License and Insurance.
    That's not something we need to identify for each trade. Most HIs include general comments such as that in a section with others, like 'verify that permits have been pulled for all work, all inspections have been signed off, and a certificate of occupancy has been issued (if required for the work) and that there are no open or outstanding permits'.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

!@#$%

Last edited by ken horak; 08-11-2009 at 03:36 PM.

Thats fine for work already completed.
    What about all the times that it is suggested to have it reviewed by .....

Those general comments apply to *all* work, not just old work.

If the electrician comes in and makes repairs without pulling the required permit, those general comments were not followed if the client does not make sure that all required permits were pulled.

I used to even, when writing up electrical work in panels, knowing that much of what I found was incorrect work by electricians, would write 'correct any and all items and conditions in the panel including, but not limited to, the following: blah, blah, blah, and any and all additional items and conditions found or created during those repairs'. Did that make some electricians made? Sure. But if I ever went back to that house and found that they did not do it correctly, *I had that included* and that electrician should have been held responsible for coming back and correcting it at NO COST to the owner.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Just because the Jurisdiction requires licensing and insurance does not mean one has it.
    Insurance payments lapse /don't get paid, policy's get cancelled, License's are suspended.
    If you have a license and it is suspended - technically you are still licensed ( just suspended)
    I have a professional license, I have it inactive (shelved) no insurance needed as it is inactive -yet I am still licensed in that profession.

I hear all the chatter about going above and beyond the minimum,protecting the customer,inspecting opinions & "common sense".
    It just seems that this would be one more short comment added to the sentence. A simple word INSURED.
    I would think that as a group of "Professionals" you would be on board with this.

Rick- as far as back grounds - maybe just make sure their not on the sexual predator list Their truck insurance /registration won't pay for replacement of a structure when some uninsured hack burns it down
    So what your saying is an electrician shouldn't be riding around in this truck.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Last edited by ken horak; 08-11-2009 at 03:35 PM.

- no ladder rack with romex scraps tieing ladders down

That's inside, uses it to tie the kids up with and hang them from the ladder.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com