daniel nantell Guest

Default Re; free educational site for H.I.

Is there any other free sites besides InspectionNews for Home Inspectors to learn from , thanks

Similar Threads:
    Crawl Space Creeper

Denny L West Guest

Post Re: Re; free educational site for H.I.

Default Re: Re; free educational site for H.I.

Quote Originally Posted by daniel nantell View Post
    Is there any other free sites besides InspectionNews for Home Inspectors to learn from , thanks
    The Inspectors Journal is another great board. Many of the more experianced (older ) inspectors tend to hangout at TIJ. Mike O'Handley has built a really good library of links and information.
    Home Inspector News, Resources, Education and Events

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Mike Holt has a great electrical web site. Some of it gets more detailed than the normal home inspection will cover, but a lot of it pertains to stuff we do. Also, there is a good HVAC Talk forum that covers a lot of issues we come across.

Jim Robinson
    New Mexico, USA

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

Certainteed.com has some free on-line module courses you can take and they also count as CEUs for many HI orgs.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Ostrowski View Post
    Certainteed.com has some free on-line module courses you can take and they also count as CEUs for many HI orgs.
    The Certainteed sessions are approved in TN for our CE requirements! I wonder if any other states have approved them?

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

I haven't looked at their site in a while Scott but in general terms, the CEUs are approved for ASHI and NAHI members and can be applied towards your organization's CE requirements with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post
    The Certainteed sessions are approved in TN for our CE requirements! I wonder if any other states have approved them?
    Certainteed assured me they counted since they are ASHI approved and my state (Oregon) takes ASHI credits... Not the case when I tried to use them to renew my license. They're good classes but if you're looking to use them for CEs make SURE they count before you assume they do.

Originally Posted by Scott Patterson

Certainteed assured me they counted since they are ASHI approved and my state (Oregon) takes ASHI credits... Not the case when I tried to use them to renew my license. They're good classes but if you're looking to use them for CEs make SURE they count before you assume they do.
    Hi Matt,

From what I have been told, Certainteed is not willing to work with the state in order to get their courses approved for continuing education.

I spoke with the CCB and attempted to work around that by stating that the course was approved by ASHI, so it in turn should be accepted by them. I can't remember exactly why, but that argument was shot down. This is too bad, considering the Certainteed courses are much better than most CE classes I have taken.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Whitmore View Post
    Hi Matt,

From what I have been told, Certainteed is not willing to work with the state in order to get their courses approved for continuing education.

I spoke with the CCB and attempted to work around that by stating that the course was approved by ASHI, so it in turn should be accepted by them. I can't remember exactly why, but that argument was shot down. This is too bad, considering the Certainteed courses are much better than most CE classes I have taken.
    I went through the exact same thing.... Except, the people at Certainteed told me is the state of Oregon who was dragging their feet. In the end it really didn't matter... the classes wouldn't work. I ended up going to 100education.com (Or, something like that) and got the 15 hours I needed in about 15 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Fellman View Post
    I ended up going to 100education.com (Or, something like that) and got the 15 hours I needed in about 15 minutes.
    Huh??? How on earth does that work? Does it involve time travel, warp speeds, or a clock tower and jiggawatts?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Fellman
    I ended up going to 100education.com (Or, something like that) and got the 15 hours I needed in about 15 minutes.

Huh??? How on earth does that work? Does it involve time travel, warp speeds, or a clock tower and jiggawatts?
    It's a bummer that we have to pay for what often amounts to inferior continuing education. The last time I needed my credit hours, I did the same thing. I spent more than 15 minutes, but not by much

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Ostrowski View Post
    Same way Nick G does his certifications! You pay and you them!

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Whitmore View Post
    Hi Matt,

This is from the TN Home Inspector State Board website:

CERTAINTEED CORPORATION

web address: CertainTeed - Continuing Education
    1.The Attic: Three Components, One System CE# 009-06 (1.5)
    2.New Dimensions in Asphalt Shingles CE# 010-06 (1.5)
    3.Principles of Attic Ventilation CE# 011-06 (1.5)
    4.Designing with Siding CE# 013-06 (1.5)
    5.On-Line: The Exterior Wall: A Systems Approach CE# 014-06 (1.5)
    6.HVAC Ductwork: Issues and Answers CE#015-06 (1)
    7.Fiber Cement Siding CE# 016-06 (1)
    8.Intro into Deck and Railing Systems CE# 017-06 (1.25)
    9.Windows: An Inside View CE# 018-06 (2)
    10.Low Slope Bituminous Roof Systems CE# 019-06 (1.5)
    11.Acoustics: Noise ControlCE# 120-06 (1)
    12.Building Materials Basics Vinyl 101 CE# 121-06 (1)
    13.Systems Approach to Designing a House: Part 1 CE# 122-06 (1)
    14.Systems Approach to Designing a House: Part 2 CE# 123-06 (1.5)
    15.Systems Approach to Designing a House: Part 3 CE# 124-06 (2)
    16.The Evolution of Footing Forms CE# 125-06 (1)
    17.Vinyl Fence Systems CE# 126-06 (1)
    18.The Use of Self-Adhering Systems in Low Slope Roofing CE# 127-06 (1)
    19.Meeting ICC Standards for Vinyl/Composite Railing Systems CE# 128-06(1.5)
    20.Low Slope Roofing Insulation w/ Polyisocyanurate CE# 129-06 (1.5)

They filled out the paperwork for TN. Maybe something has changed and they will do it for Oregon. This just appeared a couple of months ago on the TN website. On the other hand TN will also approve just about anything that has to do with education.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

A few years back Oregon changed the CE requirements and now allow us to do all 30 hours (every 2 years) on computer or 'non-instructor led' I think they call it. Previously, we had to sit in a classroom for at least 20 of the 30.

When I stumbled upon the 100percent ed classes I was happy because I had just spent a lot of time taking the Certainteed ones which didn't count. So, for that period the state got more than my 30 hours for sure.

Thinking back, though, the 100percent ed classes are ridiculously easy and fast. Honestly, I think I spent about an hour to get 10 in credits.

The CE requirement is a good thing but it kind of reminds me of codes. Building to the exact minimum is pretty poor.... Spending only 30 hours in two years educating yourself for this profession would churn out a pretty poor inspector. Of course, most of the stuff we do doesn't count in an official manner (mainly, this board and things like that) but sure makes us better inspectors.

Hi boys,

I handle getting the state approvals for InterNACHI's online courses. Most are free. Many are open to all inspectors so you need not join InterNACHI to get your CEs in.

We have many approved in TN Get your State required Continuing Education for Tennesse Licensing! - InterNACHI
    All are approved in OR.
    None of the CEs granted are inflated.

For free online approved CEs in other states go to How to become a home inspector - InterNACHI

If I can help, let me know how. I'm an administrator so I can't help with any technical questions.

Lisa,

I see InterNACHI's classes are approved on Oregon's list the list the same way ASHI's are. When I tried to use that to claim the Certainteed classes should count, Oregon's people told me because it wasn't specifically listed it didn't count.

I never did get a straight answer as to why the classes wouldn't count since they are ASHI approved. The Oregon CCB (contractor's board) is often less than helpful if they don't have an exact answer.

I guess my post is half a question if you know for certain all of the InterNACHI classes work (or, which ones do) and secondly a warning to others from my state to make absolutely sure something counts before you submit it and assume it will.

I never did get a straight answer as to why the classes wouldn't count since they are ASHI approved. The Oregon CCB (contractor's board) is often less than helpful if they don't have an exact answer.
    Based on memory, the reason was that they were not converted into ASHI credits. They won't accept indirect credits. ???

Reggie Russell Guest

I am new and still in my first year, so I haven't turned my CE credits in yet, but when I called an ASHI representative she told me CertainTeed was a website I could go to to be able to fulfill my yearly 20 CE hours. I am going to be calling back now, though, to make sure!

Tom Phillips Guest

Smile Re: Re; free educational site for H.I.

Lisa,
    Thanks for spreading the word!

Richard Rushing Guest

I think the "word" has been out on them for awhile....

Richard

David Nice Guest

Exclamation Re: Re; free educational site for H.I.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Rushing View Post
    I think the "word" has been out on them for awhile....

Richard
    Ah yes, the "word" has been out from a number of those who seem to feel that just because they think it, it must be true, and if it is true it must be repeated.

There is no longer room in the inspection industry for people who put on airs of superiority when there is truly nothing superior about them.

There is no longer room in the inspection industry for people who work to destroy an organization in the name of being "watchdogs". A judge had a few choice words for just those kind of people in PA. I have a few choice words for them as well, but you will never hear them from me.

Now, I just keep a list of "those" people and when I decide to retire I may have some real fun!

I'm glad you are here Lisa. It is always good for someone who knows the facts and has the authority and good name to keep it real, while others just keep pushing their fantasies.

Quote Originally Posted by David Nice View Post
    Ah yes, the "word" has been out from a number of those who seem to feel that just because they think it, it must be true, and if it is true it must be repeated.

There is no longer room in the inspection industry for people who put on airs of superiority when there is truly nothing superior about them.

There is no longer room in the inspection industry for people who work to destroy an organization in the name of being "watchdogs". A judge had a few choice words for just those kind of people in PA. I have a few choice words for them as well, but you will never hear them from me.

Now, I just keep a list of "those" people and when I decide to retire I may have some real fun!

I'm glad you are here Lisa. It is always good for someone who knows the facts and has the authority and good name to keep it real, while others just keep pushing their fantasies.
    Huh. Superior? watchdogs? those people? fantasies?
    I can only assume Mr Nice does not read the bashing of this site, and other HI on his own orgs, open to the public chat board.

Hopefully I'll retire before Mr. Nice, I sure would not want to be on the list of " those" people

Last edited by Dan Harris; 03-30-2009 at 07:27 AM.

Tom Phillips Guest

Smile Re: Re; free educational site for H.I.

Sorry you all feel that way. I am just an inspector who appreciates the educational value that they have to offer. Sorry if you can't deal with that. I don't have any ill feelings towards any other inspectors or associations, and its a shame that some of you seem to feel that way. I am only interested in becoming a better inspector and don't pay much attention to the politics, unless I need a good chuckle.

Fred Warner Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Phillips View Post
    .............. I am only interested in becoming a better inspector and don't pay much attention to the politics, unless I need a good chuckle.
    Well said, Tom!

David Nice Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Harris View Post
    Huh. Superior? watchdogs? those people? fantasies?
    I can only assume Mr Nice does not read the bashing of this site, and other HI on his own orgs, open to the public chat board.

Hopefully I'll retire before Mr. Nice, I sure would not want to be on the list of " those" people
    Assume nothing.