Thread: Hot water vent

Fred Cleaver Guest

Question Hot water vent

on a inspection i just did the gas vent on the water heater terminates just outside the foundation wall next to the furnace vent as shown in attached picture.

looking for the best way to word this in the report.

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Hot water vent

I can't really tell much from the first picture.

In the second picture the flue pipe is connected wrong to the draft diverter. The flue pipe should go on the outside and not on the inside of the draft diverter collar as it is now.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Fred Cleaver Guest

sorry, maybe you can see better by this picture

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Cleaver View Post

Warning, do not enter premises. Assisted suicide in progress.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

The existing HWT flue pipe installation should be considered dangerous and hazardous. The following minimum conditions should be abated by a qualified plumber immediately. This is should not be considered all-inclusive, upon initial evaluation and repair by a qualified plumber additional problems and repair considerations may become evident.
    - flue attached to inside of draft hood
    - flue pipe exiting at grade level, exposing residents or people nearby to potential hazardous levels of flue gases
    - installation method poses heat and burn risks
    - installation method promotes moisture entry into flue pipe and building
    - installation method promotes backdrafting of flue gases into the home, exposing residents to potentially dangerous conditions
    - installation method is the likely cause of the apparent rusting at the top of the water tank.
    I strongly urge you to repair to condition ASAP. Not doing so, exposing you and your family to serious health hazards.

How's that for off the top of my head? Use, reword as you wish. Good luck
    Markus

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

Yep, it is a problem.

The termination is wrong, too close to the wall and too low. The pipe is acting like a rain gauge. I would also bet that the area around the burn chamber has scorch marks from a little back draft action.

Just write it up like this; The water heater flue is not installed or connected properly. The way it is currently installed could allow flue gas to enter the living area of the home, and this is not good. Have a qualified person make the needed corrections to the flue pipe and water heater.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

Yowza that's a mess. Duct tape dangling wonder what that's being used for. What's the other vent behind the WH & draft hood? Clothes Dryer?

Presence of NY snow and the local fauna could be a problem too .

I'm not seeing the exhaust vent connected to the inside of the draft hood. I see screws thriough the vent/flue into the draft hood.

Quote Originally Posted by neal lewis View Post
    I'm not seeing the exhaust vent connected to the inside of the draft hood. I see screws thriough the vent/flue into the draft hood.
    I agree, the vent is over the draft hood.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Fred Cleaver Guest

Thanks for help guys. I appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by H.G. Watson, Sr. View Post
    Duct tape dangling wonder what that's being used for. What's the other vent behind the WH & draft hood? Clothes Dryer?
    Duct tape was holding the pipe insulation in place and the other vent was for the furnace.

on a inspection i just did the gas vent on the water heater terminates just outside the foundation wall next to the furnace vent as shown in attached picture.

Yowza that's a mess. Duct tape dangling wonder what that's being used for. What's the other vent behind the WH & draft hood? Clothes Dryer?

Presence of NY snow and the local fauna could be a problem too .
    Thanks for help guys. I appreciate it.

Duct tape was holding the pipe insulation in place and the other vent was for the furnace.
    Then I'm finding it questionable that either or both of these devices are terminating through the foundation at the exterior photo you've posted, with pvc and galv single wall offset vent pipe. Because I don't see how a furnace to single wall could be terminating to pvc nor the photographed water heater.

Therefore, I posit that your theory/submission/description of the exterior photograph and what it represents is incorrect - since you were clear in your description that there were two separate terminations not a shared vent. I further suspect you have a clothes drier with an offset instead of a hood & damper and a sump pump discharge or similar such as a discharge for water softner, that is defective/incomplete (mostly due to location and proximity to siding and foundation), and that either or both the appliances - furnace and water heater, are venting elsewhere.

and the other vent was for the furnace.
    Then I'm finding it questionable that either or both of these devices are terminating through the foundation at the exterior photo you've posted, with pvc and galv single wall offset vent pipe. Because I don't see how a furnace to single wall could be terminating to pvc nor the photographed water heater.

Therefore, I posit that your theory/submission/description of the exterior photograph and what it represents is incorrect - since you were clear in your description that there were two separate terminations not a shared vent. I further suspect you have a clothes drier with an offset instead of a hood & damper and a sump pump discharge or similar such as a discharge for water softner, that is defective/incomplete (mostly due to location and proximity to siding and foundation), and that either or both the appliances - furnace and water heater, are venting elsewhere.
    I do believe that you are not considering all of the obvious options and alternatives for what is shown in those photos, which causes me to postulate that you had your mind made up before reading his posts and answers.

The "other vent" was likely for a 90 or higher condensing type furnace, which would be using the PVC shown as its vent.

In which case his photos, and his description of them, would be quite accurate.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    I do believe that you are not considering all of the obvious options and alternatives for what is shown in those photos, which causes me to postulate that you had your mind made up before reading his posts and answers.

The "other vent" was likely for a 90 or higher condensing type furnace, which would be using the PVC shown as its vent.

In which case his photos, and his description of them, would be quite accurate.
    He identified the metal single wall vent in the background as the furnace vent!

You didn't bother reading my post.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

He identified the metal single wall vent in the background as the furnace vent!

He did?

Show me where he identified the "metal single wall vent in the background as the furnace vent!".

To the contrary, YOU did not read HIS post.

I will allow Fred to correct me if I am wrong, but *I* think Fred was talking about the "other vent outside" as being for the furnace.

*IF* I am wrong, *I* have no problem saying so.

*IF* you are wrong, will *YOU* have a problem saying so? SO FAR ... SO FAR YOU HAVE NOT ONCE ADMITTED YOU WERE WRONG and it has been pointed on time and time again where you were wrong.

My money is on me being correct and you being wrong, AND YOU NOT BEING MAN ENOUGH TO ADMIT YOU WERE WRONG after finding out that you were wrong.

Okay, Fred, which one of us is correct?

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

He did?

Show me where he identified the "metal single wall vent in the background as the furnace vent!".

I will allow Fred to correct me if I am wrong, but *I* think Fred was talking about the "other vent outside" as being for the furnace.

*IF* you are wrong, will *YOU* have a problem saying so? SO FAR ... SO FAR YOU HAVE NOT ONCE ADMITTED YOU WERE WRONG and it has been pointed on time and time again where you were wrong.

My money is on me being correct and you being wrong, AND YOU NOT BEING MAN ENOUGH TO ADMIT YOU WERE WRONG after finding out that you were wrong.

He identified that as the furnace vent.

Look at post 11 where I CONVIENENTLY QUOTED MY QUESTION TO HIM AND HIS RESPONSE. CAREFULLY READ HIS LAST POST, LAST LINE WHICH WAS RESPONDING TO MY QUESTIONS.

My question: "Duct tape dangling wonder what that's being used for. What's the other vent behind the WH & draft hood?"

His Answer: "Duct tape was holding the pipe insulation in place and the other vent was for the furnace."

So get your panties untwisted, and get a grip.

Like most post strings you miss the forest for the trees.

(I'll take a no pass bet you also missed the plywood board up to the left on the exterior, and have forgotten this is a NY poster.)

I expect your next performance will be equally inappropriate and full of excuses and explanations lacking any form sincere apology or ownership of your mis-behavior, and your continued remarks on this and other strings full of spite, venom, tantrums and ad hominem assaults.

EDITED TO ADD: Better yet REVIEW HIS POST #10. He selectively quoted my questions in the middle of his post, making it VERY CLEAR INDEED to WHAT HE WAS RESPONDING TO.

I repeat.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

He did?

I showed JERRY PECK, post #10, his (Fred Cleaver's) THIRD post on the string.

Mr. Cleaver participated three times on this string, so far. YOU DID NOT READ HIS MOST RECENT.

APOLOGIZE and ADMIT YOUR OVERSIGHTS AND ERRORS??? JERRY PECK???

But JERRY PECK won't because it is HE WHO IS LACKING IN THE "BEING A MAN" DEPARTMENT!

Fred Cleaver Guest

Sorry HG I did think you where talking about the pvc in the outside pic.

What your pointing to in the pic a metal support column.

sorry for the confusion.

I agree, the vent is over the draft hood.

Irrespective of what Jerry Peck will ALLOW or NOT ALLOW...

It looks to be the other way around, which is of course, an improper connection.

I showed JERRY PECK, post #10, his (Fred Cleaver's) THIRD post on the string.

Mr. Cleaver participated three times on this string, so far. YOU DID NOT READ HIS MOST RECENT.

APOLOGIZE and ADMIT YOUR OVERSIGHTS AND ERRORS??? JERRY PECK???

But JERRY PECK won't because it is HE WHO IS LACKING IN THE "BEING A MAN" DEPARTMENT!

sorry for the confusion.
    All this from a would You Post Your Real Name ?

* and you basically told Fred ( HE WAS THERE NOT YOU ) he did not know what he was doing or what He saw but you did.:

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

sorry for the confusion.

Apology accepted. Yes it did create misunderstanding/communication, since you quoted the question with your response and the questioned location was "behind the WH and draft hood".

Since as I said previously a larger diameter metal vent from a furnace reducing to smaller diameter PVC wasn't a practical configuration (for even a higher effiency condensing furnace) as I had further clarified before JERRY PECK ran amok, I suggested other possiblities.

The proximity to the opening which is presently boarded over to the left of the vent terminations on the foundation wall are of further concern for the vent terminations, especially the water heater's (if that is what it is terminating) location. Remediation may not be a simple matter considering proximity to that boarded area should it be an operable opening, and considering the proximity to the apparent Catagory 4 furnace vent.

Now if that was a boiler, not a furnace, remediation would be much simpler (for example replacing fired water heater with an indirect).

Edited to add: A remediation option might be to replace the water heater with a gas-fired tankless with a telescoping concentric direct vent.

Last edited by H.G. Watson, Sr.; 03-25-2009 at 09:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Stephens View Post
    All this from a would You Post Your Real Name ?

* and you basically told Fred ( HE WAS THERE NOT YOU ) he did not know what he was doing or what He saw but you did.:
    "Billy" My real name is my screen name - my legal REAL name. What's the fixation? If its good enough for the all the branches of the U.S. Government, States, and municipalities, and International travel, my service in the armed forces, employment, licenses, passport, and the tax men, its REAL.

What's your tax return say...."Billy"?

As for the other, I ASKED, HE ANSWERED. I based my response on HIS ANSWER TO MY QUESTIONS (which he even quoted in his response).

Fred Cleaver Guest

The proximity to the opening which is presently boarded over to the left of the vent terminations on the foundation wall are of further concern for the vent terminations, especially the water heater's (if that is what it is terminating) location. Remediation may not be a simple matter considering proximity to that boarded area should it be an operable opening, and considering the proximity to the apparent Catagory 4 furnace vent.
    The plywood you are seeing is what home owner used to fix basement window, old chimney is further left of that.

the house was full of problems.

"Billy" My real name is my screen name - my legal REAL name. What's the fixation? If its good enough for the all the branches of the U.S. Government, States, and municipalities, and International travel, my service in the armed forces, employment, licenses, passport, and the tax men, its REAL.

What's your tax return say...."Billy"?
    Yes My Tax Return Does Say Billy.
    * as well as U.S. Army.

No fixation from me.

Just puzzlement over one giant Pissing match.
    I visit this site to Learn not to Huff , Puff and Beat my Chest.

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

The plywood you are seeing is what home owner used to fix basement window, old chimney is further left of that.

the house was full of problems.
    Its (the window)'s proximity to the fuel-fired appliances' vents locations is of issue - as are the distance to grade.

sorry for the confusion.
    So, if I am reading Fred's post, the other vent outside is from a furnace and the vent inside that Watson was screeching about was actually a steel post?

And Watson has the gall to "accept" an apology from Fred when Watson screwed up ...
    [quote=H.G. Watson, Sr.;78229]Apology accepted. Yes it did create misunderstanding/communication, since you quoted the question with your response and the questioned location was "behind the WH and draft hood".

... and Watson STILL WILL NOT ADMIT HE WAS WRONG?

And I thought that crumb Watson was a piece of cake and no one wanted it, so it just gets dumped into the trash, and now I find that Watson is *not even* a piece of cake crumb, just a speck of dirt? Which gets put into the dirt bag.

No wonder the dirt bag won't admit anything as being wrong, dirt does not have any brains to recognize that. Dirt just lies, and lies, and lies, and, given enough dirt, the pile just gets bigger and bigger.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Jim Zborowski Guest

any way you look at it, it's wrong. by the way, I like the assisted suicide comment, Jerry.