Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: How to test for chinese drywall

Please allow me to straighten you folks out on the proper technique for testing Chinese drywall. Per EC Jerry’s directions perform his suggested operation up to the point of removing a small section at the horizontal joint. However, for a comprehensive test it is best to soak the drywall in a solution of rose flavored water for approximately 6 minutes followed by consuming (yes eating) the drywall sample. If you become hungry in less than 4 hours it will confirm that indeed it was Chinese drywall. Simple but effective…. You’re welcome.

Hard to believe how far adrift this thread ran and I’m somewhat stunned by both the logic and moronic rhetoric about politics, race and religion it engendered. Guess we still carry those terrible weights on our back and after all this time… what a shame.

Crawl Space Creeper
    Jerry McCarthy
    Building Code/ Construction Consultant

Micha,

According to ASHI the EPA still dosen't have any proticals for "Testing Chinese Drywall" or believe there are any health problems associated with it how can the testing you recommend do any thing better than the visual inspection? I work in Florida and am concerned that we could be exposed as inspectors to something which could create further liability.

Tom McKay
    Melbourne, Florida
    Cretified ASHI Inspector

Jerry McCarty,

Thanks for your participating in the thread, your might get an answer to your complaning if you went back and read what you contributed.

Tom McKay
    ASHI Certified Inspector

Thomas, enlighten me?

Jerry McCarthy
    Building Code/ Construction Consultant

Jerry McCarthy,

There were others including mtself who corrupted the thread just read from the start and you can figure it out. I have had other questions you all could help with but am hesitant due to the unnecessary rhetorick.

Enough said, I do thank thoes who made positive contribution.

Tom McKay
    ASHI Certified Inspector

Default Re: How to test for Chinese drywall

Quote Originally Posted by Micah Toll View Post
    There is a great, inexpensive Do-It-Yourself testing kit available to test for Chinese Drywall that does not require cutting out chunks from your wall. Check out Chinese Drywall Tester Kit

Chinese Drywall Tester Kit
    Worthless.

There should be a ban on selling worthless junk to unsuspecting folks who are in need - should be something akin to robbing candy from children.

People who hawk those things are part of the problem.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

There is a test protocol under consideration by the CPSC and about ready for approval, however, only a very few are doing it that way.

A sample of drywall is taken and sent to a lab (note: "a lab" does NOT mean "Pro Lab" or any lab like that, it means "REAL laboratories"). An "elemental test" is done on the sample, which means the sample is tested down to its elements and documented as to which elements it contains and how much of each. Elements as in the Periodic Table of Elements and what they are combined to make.

That test, and only that test, will be accepted to document what elements are contained in the sample.

Those lab test ARE NOT CHEAP and not for the faint of heart who are gullible enough to fall for yet another Pro Lab hype.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Jerry,

I do refer to the CPSC who is heading up the EPA request to establish a proticol for testing drwall, they apparently are requesting much more information. I don't think a protical is eminent due to a very small sample. The resulting complaints have prompted the CPSC to follow three tracks.

1. Evaluate the relationship with the drywall and reported health symptoms.

2. Evaluate the relationship between the drywall and electrical and fire safety issues in the home.

3. Tracking the origin and distribution of the drywall.

The Florida dept of Health (DOH) has established a web sit for homeowners where they can get nformation about Chinese drywall and things they can look for to determin if they might have it; they do recommend hireing a professional inspector etc. to to inspect for destinctive corrosion. Go to www.doh.state.fl.us/environmental/community/indoor-air/inspections.html.

Hope this is helpfull!

Tom McKay
    ASHI Certified Inspector

Micah Toll Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    There is a test protocol under consideration by the CPSC and about ready for approval, however, only a very few are doing it that way.

A sample of drywall is taken and sent to a lab (note: "a lab" does NOT mean "Pro Lab" or any lab like that, it means "REAL laboratories"). An "elemental test" is done on the sample, which means the sample is tested down to its elements and documented as to which elements it contains and how much of each. Elements as in the Periodic Table of Elements and what they are combined to make.

That test, and only that test, will be accepted to document what elements are contained in the sample.

Those lab test ARE NOT CHEAP and not for the faint of heart who are gullible enough to fall for yet another Pro Lab hype.

Jerry,

That's great for Mr. and Mrs. Millionaire, since they have the thousands and thousands of dollars it would take to test every sheet of drywall in their home by that method. But wouldn't it be great if there was an inexpensive way for the average Joe to test each sheet in their home, by themselves, without cutting out pieces of drywall? Wouldn't a basic test that can can confirm whether or not their house may contain toxic Chinese drywall be helpful for them? Wouldn't it be nice to be able to check all over the house, instead of just removing switch covers to check the small percentage of drywall sheets that actually come in contact with a switch box? And wouldn't it be nice if there was a test like this that was reviewed and approved by some governing body of authority? Well wait no more Jerry, because it's here! Chinese Drywall Tester Kit.

The kit has been reviewed and approved by the Florida Attorney General's Office, so you don't have to worry about it being a scam, as you say. I'd be happy to send you the proof, if you so wish, so you don't have to spend your time worrying about it. This is the real deal: an effective, at home Do-It-Yourself test kit that has been independently verified by a Government Office. Check it out, a simple and affordable solution that can provide thousands of people their peace of mind is finally here. I sure hope you enjoy, Jerry!
    -------------------------------
    www.ChineseDrywallTesterKit.com

William Levy Guest

Hi All

ESML labs has some specific tests available also lab with xray defraction analysis can look at the S compounds

Mark Levy @ Associated Environmental Consulting Group, LLC MLevy@aecenv.com has some insurance client defined protocols

Our lab test results for closed chamber sulfide emanation are inconclusive and we have not had any samples large enough to test for 226Radium that is reported to be in some of fly ash waste material used.

Cheers

Bill

William Levy
    Associated Radon Services

Joe Svehla Guest

ok skip the testing.. if im looking at the back of the drywall what ami looking for.

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Svehla View Post
    ok skip the testing.. if im looking at the back of the drywall what ami looking for.

thanks
    Joe,

Google Chinese Drywall Markings. Florida Dept. of Health has many photos and advice.
    * sorry could not get page link to connect.

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

Daniel Leung Guest

As I posted on the Chinese Drywall Experiment thread in April 2009:

Combined with many inspectors' suggestion, here is a toxic drywall inspection do-it-yourself:
    * Was your home built after 2000?
    * Have a strong sulfur smell (like a rotten-egg smell)?
    * Have breathing irritation or headaches while at home?
    * Have corroded copper coils in air-conditioner or discolored copper waterpipe (or copper electrical wires in receptacle)?
    * Have "KNAUF" in black ink, or "CHINA" in red ink, or "ASTM36C" stamp on the back or edge tape of your drywall? (if no visible drywall back in house, look inside the attic to see the back of ceiling)

If none of above, sleep well!

For more information, please read www.ChineseDrywall.com
    Florida Dept of Health - Hazard Assessment of Copper Corrosion and Air-Conditioner Evaporator Coil Failures Possibly Associated with Imported Drywall / Premature Copper Corrosion in Residences Possibly Associated with the Presence of Imported Drywall from China

For those still interested NPR had a segment on today about chinese drywall.
    Federal testing inconclusive - imagine that
    Chinese won't give a commitment to do anything about it - imagine that
    Florida governor pissed ...
    I'm sure you can probably find a replay on an NPR website. Sounded like government buck passing and unwillingness to commit because of the likely results and costs. I suspect lobbyists were working hard.

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

Quote Originally Posted by Markus Keller View Post
    For those still interested NPR had a segment on today about chinese drywall.
    Federal testing inconclusive - imagine that
    Chinese won't give a commitment to do anything about it - imagine that
    Florida governor pissed ...
    I'm sure you can probably find a replay on an NPR website. Sounded like government buck passing and unwillingness to commit because of the likely results and costs. I suspect lobbyists were working hard.
    Markus,

I heard it too.

They also added additional information should be available next month.

They discussed a "recall" and the improbabilities of it due to the complexities involved - you can't just "drive it down to the dealer and have them replace the defective part" (they did not put it that way, those are my words).

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Lisa Endza
    Director of Communication
    InterNACHI

ALLEN CATTERTON Guest

Any concern regarding safety, insurability, or the ability to occupy a home is listed in my inspection report. Any instance that is outside the InterNACHI SOP or which I am not exclusively and fully trained and certified to perform is noted regarding such concerns. I directly disclaim Chinese or odorous drywall in each inspection agreement which is signed by both the buyer and the inspector. Otherwise the liability is overwhelming and the potential for lawsuits is tremendous. Certifying the existence or non existence of Chinese or odorous drywall in a structure is outside the normal parameters of a home inspection. My E & O insurer would drop me like a lead balloon if they find I am acting outside my area of expertise and would probably walk away from any lawsuit in which I was found liable. So I call it out, as far as any findings or suspicions and always-always recommend further evaluation by a trained technician.

Glen Beveridge Guest

Angry Re: How to test for chinese drywall

The issue with tainted products imported from China is clearly a huge problem with more to come and be discovered. This is the result of a World Economy that is overwhelmingly supported by the Congress. Corporations have and will continue to increase their porfits with the Congress complimenting their wishes. Our Government's foundation is based on "We the People" and should not be "We the Corporations." Trade deficits have and will continue to grow until finally all we will manufacture in this country is corn. We can all complain, however, until some type of regulation, quality control and assurance is considered and eforced on all imported items that should be paid for by the firms who bring them in. Now if this were the law, would it be cheaper to import or just manufacture here? GE, Wal Mart as well as most of the other monopolies would not stand for that type of logic. FOX News would have a field day with that. Imagine what would happen to a U.S. based manufacuter if they sold tainted dry wall?

Steven Stafford Guest

The lab I use for Mold testing and supplies has a great web site. I cut and pasted a copy of an article they posted this week. I thought you guy's might be interested.

Category:
    Press Release
    Publish Date:
    10/28/2009
    Link:

Author:
    Paul Cochrane
    Defective Drywall from China may also be Contaminated with Bacteria and Fungi
    EMSL Analytical offers multiple testing solutions for imported drywall.
    Westmont, NJ, October 28th, 2009

During the last year there have been numerous media reports about imported Chinese drywall causing unpleasant odors, damaging building materials and causing illnesses. On Sunday an expert on building inspections announced at a conference in Orlando that the defective drywall is also full of bacteria and fungus.

According to some reports the defective drywall is in as many as 100,000 homes nationwide. Up until now most drywall problems were related to the presence of iron disulfide (FeS2 pyrite). Hydrogen sulfide (H2S), carbonyl sulfide, sulfur dioxide (SO2), and carbon disulfide (CS2) have also been suspected as culprits.

The building expert reported that the bacteria in the drywall is most alarming and isn’t found in drywall manufactured elsewhere. According to the speaker the bacteria is feeding on organic matter in the drywall and that in return is producing the sulfur gases that have been reported to cause health problems and material corrosion in homes across the country.

EMSL Analytical, one of the nation’s premier environmental and materials testing laboratories, has been actively involved in testing suspect drywall. EMSL Analytical developed a procedure that can accurately compare certain sulfur gasses contained in suspect drywall samples versus control samples. The laboratory can also provide complete bacterial and fungal analysis of any drywall samples to determine if microorganisms are present.

“This latest report of additional problems with Chinese drywall should make homeowners take notice,” reported Joe Frasca, Senior Vice President at EMSL Analytical. “If you suspect your home was constructed with the defective material we suggest you have the drywall tested to determine if it is causing problems in your home,” he continued.

EMSL Analytical is a national leader in materials and indoor air quality testing services. For more information about drywall testing or other testing needs please contact EMSL Analytical at (800)220-3675, visit Testing Lab - Asbestos, Mold, Lead, Microbiology, Radon, MRSA, Environmental, Industrial Hygiene, Materials, Chemical, Forensics, Metallurgical, Food, Water, Soil, Air, Dust, PLM, PCM, TEM, SEM, Hexavalent Chromium, ASTM, Contract, Independent, Accre or email info@EMSL.com.

About EMSL Analytical, Inc.
    EMSL Analytical is a leading, national provider of environmental and materials testing services and products to professionals and the general public. The company has an extensive list of accreditations from leading organizations as well as state and federal regulating bodies.

Just showed up on Bill Gates msn.com
    Toxic drywall? Goodbye, insurance - MSN Money

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Damon McCarty View Post
    Just showed up on Bill Gates msn.com
    Toxic drywall? Goodbye, insurance - MSN Money

Well

Insurance companies provide insurance for mishaps and disasters in your home. As they say. They are not warranty companies. Unfortunately the builders had no idea that the drywall companies were buying bad drywall products from supply houses. It may land on the builder but it does go back to the manufacturer. The drywall company had no idea they were buying bad drywall and the supply house had no idea they were buying bad drywall.

It goes back to the manufacturer in China. What can be done....who knows.

I noticed on the comments that it was an attack on the insurance companies. They did not buy the bad drywall affecting everything in their homes. If the insurance companies paid out every drywall claim they would be bust and no one would be insured. Do you think that everyone paying for their home to be insured should go with out because some folks bought homes affected with Chinese drywall because a manufacturer of a good is not standing behind their product?

I am not an advocate for insurance companies at all but are all those folks kidding about their claims all getting paid out by the big, bad, mean insurance companies.. That will never happen and they will never be held to it.

Talking Re: How to test for chinese drywall

No, I do not think that everyone paying for their home to be insured should go with out because some folks bought homes affected with Chinese drywall because a manufacturer of a good is not standing behind their product?

All I was doing was post what I saw on msn.

Drywall Report Still Inconclisive

From Florida Today Oct. 30, 2009

"Federal studies released Thrusday cannot yet definitively link imported Chinese drywall to health problems or corrosion of pipes and wires the thousands of homeowners have been reporting for nearly a year.
    The Consumer Products Safety Commission, which is leading the multi-agency investigation said it needs to further study the matter before it can consider a recall, ban or other solutions to help affected homeowners.
    Additional results from ongoing studies were due to be released next month.
    "The expansive investigation and sientifiec work that has been done and continues to be carried out is all aimed at providing answers and solutions." Lori Saltzman, a director in the CPSC's Office of Hazard Identification and Reduction, said Thurssday.
    "No connections have been made yet."
    Saltzman said the agency, which has so far spent $3.5 million on studies, has recieved 1,900 homeowner complaints during one of the largest consumer products investigations in US history.
    "We inderstand the problem has literally driven people from their homes," she said.

Homeowners were frustrated by a lack of answers from the CPSC.

An Associated Press analysis of shipping records found that more than 500 million pounds of Chinese made gypsum board was iimported between 2004 and 2008 - enough to have built tens of thousands of homes.

The federal test results released Thursday largely confirms what prior testing had found, such as that the material emits "violatile sulfer compounds." The multiple agencies investigation, including the CPSC, the Enviromental Protection Agency and Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, acknowledged the reported health symptoms are consistent with some sort of conamination. But the culprit is unclear.
    The Chinese government is assisting with the investigation."

It appears to me that the federal agencies involved are over their heads on this one. We tax payers again are paying for studies of problems which go unsolved but do perpetuate the continuation of these federal bureaucratic agencies ie. the CPSC and the EPA. To have spent $3.5 million and taken a year to come up with nothing is unacceptable. Just an other government "boondoggle". I will bet there are independant studies which have isolated the issues. I also wouder what roll the Chinese government has taken in assisting the investigation.

Tom McKay
    ASHI Certified Inspector

$3.5 million
    They have just begun to milk the system. Numbers are not high enough to get an answer.

Mike Schulz License 393
    Affordable Home Inspections
    www.houseinspections.com

Lisa, don't you have some self serving comment?

Ken Martin Guest

Could it be this simple? This drywall has a corrosive effect on copper. How about inserting small pieces of copper wire in very small holes drilled in the drywall. Results should be fairly quick. Holes could be easily spackled. Homeowner could do this test themselves. Total cost should not exceed $10. This could be done in almost every sheet in the house.

This in addition to a/c coil check (as all air in house recirculates through the air handler) would allow homeowner some confidence. Inspectors would not make any money, but also would not become liable for results.

I realize that these tests are not "officially sanctioned" by anybody, but maybe common sense will prevail.

I have been told by several "Building Officials" and a few lawyers that as of yet, there is no accepted way to mitigate this problem. Even if you gut a house back to the studs and bleach them, filter the air, etc....you would still have to disclose that the house was possibly contaminated with Chinese drywall at the time of resale.

Just my thoughts, from SW Florida, with no political or religious stated or implied.
    Ken

Lisa Endza
    InterNACHI

Hi Folks,

I happened to come across this thread and wanted to respond. I admit that I didn't read all of the posts, so if I'm being redundant, well I appologize.

EDI (Exterior Design Institute), is offering a course and certification on testing Chinese Drywall. They also have a test kit that is available once you are certified. The kit nor the course is very expensive and is a great service to add to your business. It is a very simple procedure, done in the field. I also understand that there is a shortage of certified inspectors in this field.

Click here

If you mention my name you get a free glass of wine with your dinner.

Last edited by Steven Turetsky; 11-19-2009 at 03:30 AM.
    Steven Turetsky, UID #16000002314
    homeinspectionsnewyork.com
    eifsinspectionsnewyork.com

Steven's post
    Hi Folks,

I happened to come across this thread and wanted to respond. I admit that I didn't read all of the posts, so if I'm being redundant, well I appologise.

EDI (Exterior Design Institute), is offering a course and certification on testing Chinese Drywall. They also have a test kit that is available once you are certified. The kit nor the course is very expensive and is a great service to add to your business. It is a very simple procedure, done in the field. I also understand that there is a shortage of certified inspectors in this field.
    InterNACHI partnered with EDI and InterNACHI members can take EDI courses at EDI-member prices.

Lisa Endza
    InterNACHI

Sounds like a heck of a deal.
    Pay nick $289.00 to save $20.

I guess you guys will never get it.
    This board is for inspectors to discuss inspection issues, not a place to be plastered with free advertizing, and scams.

Phoenix AZ Resale Home, Mobile Home, New Home Warranty Inspections. ASHI Certified Inspector #206929 Arizona Certified Inspector # 38440
    www.inspectaz.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa Endza View Post

InterNACHI partnered with EDI and InterNACHI members can take EDI courses at EDI-member prices.
    And Now Back To Your Regularly Scheduled Program.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

Well said Dan!

Michael Thomas
    Paragon Property Services Inc., Chicago IL
    http://paragoninspects.com

Ted Menelly Guest

Thanks Michael

Michael,

Very good information, as Ted said - thank you.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Joseph Weissglass Guest

Chinese drywall testing involves analyzing samples for known markers that are indicative of defective drywall. Although several less expensive alternatives are being marketed, FTIR and XRF are the future of accurate drywall testing.

Unequivocally, FTIR and XRF testing have been proven by the Consumer Products Safety Commission to be the most reliable drywall tests, boasting a reliability of 98% and 99%. These tests analyze drywall samples for carbonate sulfide and strontium respectively.

Testing

Each of these tests provides nearly perfect accuracy. A drywall test that utilizes both technologies in tandem overcomes any sampling contamination and allows for a complete picture of the home's composition. Drywall compound, or mud, can show up in FTIR analysis as a false positive for drywall. That compound, however, does not affect XRF Chinese drywall testing.

Why aren't all inspectors offering Chinese drywall testing that includes FTIR and XRF?
    These technologies are not new. FTIR has been the backbone of material analysis for quite some time. This technology is readily admitted in a court setting as evidence. Several labs in the United States even offer to analyze drywall samples as part of a test. The problem is that, in this setting, each sample costs $150 to $200 for analysis on just one of the two machines. Analysis on the second will involve another $150 to $200. An average home contains upwards of 150 boards of drywall. With that in mind, comprehensive Chinese drywall testing would involve $45,000 in testing fees alone. Add to that the cost of collecting samples and the insurance policy premium, and testing could cost $50,000.

Obviously, that is not price that the vast majority can afford. That cost is not a feasible option.

What does FTIR testing involve?
    FTIR, or Fourier Transformed Infrared Spectroscopy, relies on the measurement of infrared light that either passes through or is reflected by a sample. The resulting spectrum is compared against a library of known molecular fingerprints. No two compounds will produce the same results under FTIR analysis, creating a powerful tool for identifying unknown compounds at a molecular level.
    As it relates to Chinese drywall testing, FTIR is used to identify carbonate sulfide, a marker that the CPSC has identified as unique to defective drywall.
    FTIR has been central to laboratory analysis for nearly seventy years. This technology is well establish and is respected and accepted within a court room setting. The fact that this technology is so credible and well established further reinforces its use for such high stakes testing.
    What does XRF testing involve?
    XRF, or X-Ray Fluorescence, drywall testing involves bombarding a sample with X-Rays and measuring the effects. Each element produces a different energy under this condition and the results are used to identify the various compounds in a sample.
    As it relates to a Chinese drywall test, XRF is used to identify strontium, which the CPSC has identified as a unique marker of Chinese drywall.

Who determined that these technologies are reliable for this testing?
    The Consumer Products Safety Commission (CPSC) has concluded in their most recent report that these technologies are the most reliable Chinese drywall testing equipment.

"Using both FTIR and XRF measurements of carbonate and strontium, respectively, was therefore determined to be the most sensitive and specific marker of imported drywall."
    --Draft Final Report CPSC Drywall and Indoor Environmental Quality Assessment. November 18, 2009. Pg. 104 of 128.

"Results from this study indicate that the concentrations of Strontium measured by XRF and carbonate ion (carbonate) using FTIR, determined that drywall can be used in combination to reliably identify suspect drywall."
    --Draft Final Report CPSC Drywall and Indoor Environmental Quality Assessment.November 18, 2009. Pg. 1 of 128.

Read more about Chinese drywall testing.

Darlington Guest

The classical signs for chinese drywall are rotten egg smell, failing A/C coils, blackening and corrosion of metal, but the visual inspections can be unreliable at times. Therefore, it is better to go for XRF testing is the best way for Chinese Drywall Testing!!

Go to Chinese Drywall Advisors for details about testing and inspection.

Therefore, it is better to go for XRF testing is the best way for Chinese Drywall Testing!!
    You might want to read this A Caution on Using XRF Alone for Identification of Problem Drywall - InterNACHI

Lisa Endza
    InterNACHI

Darlington Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa Endza View Post
    I agree that using XRF alone for identification of problem drywall is dangerous, but chinese drywall advisors only features non-destructive X-Ray Fluorescence (XRF) testin. Check for your self : Chinese Drywall Inspection - Chinese Drywall Advisors

Quote Originally Posted by Darlington View Post
    I agree that using XRF alone for identification of problem drywall is dangerous, but chinese drywall advisors only features non-destructive X-Ray Fluorescence (XRF) testin. Check for your self : Chinese Drywall Inspection - Chinese Drywall Advisors
    I would not count on that web site as an authority on Chinese Drywall.

XRF was like a bright flare leading the way with non-destructive testing, then results of erroneous XRF testings began to surface and research went into why, and the why is why XRF testing for Chinese Drywall was no longer being promoted as the testing method ... i.e., the flare went out.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

just heard that it is now in Texas. Comming in from Mexico and the no longer put a name or any markings on it.

Billy Zane Guest

I really have to wonder if your persona is simply a board based interest magnet, as it was your IGNORANT post which motivated me to join and post. I was young once too, so here's a break..

And why the bold and caps? Especially when your post is so ridiculous?

THE ONLY REASON for crappy manufacturing of goods in China is that the corporations contracting the work over there as so damn cheap that they don't care who they harm to make a bottom line. And sadly, the only increase in profits goes to a small few would-be parachuters at the top.

1. Did it ever occur to you that goods produced in China are produced by the SPECIFICATIONS that are set up by the corporation manufacturing the product?!?!?!

2. Or how about, if they even spent a couple of bucks placing proper management in place over there to oversee the workmanship...!!?!

Crappy Chinese products are CRAPPY because the US Corps having them manufactured over there want it that way. PERIOD. Then they go and use a continental divide to explain a defense for this? Its ignorant people like YOU that allow this to flourish and keep letting the corporations off the hook. If the dog food was poisoned, or the drywall is contaminated, the one to blame is the one that directed the construction and purchase. Or the one that re-sold the product in the US, or where ever, PERIOD. Too much lenience is afforded companies getting away with stocking stuff on their shelves with some kind of "veil of protection" that should not exist.

The corps making and buying these products like the disconnect with China as a FALSE EXCUSE to resell garbage... You always get what you pay for...

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Currie View Post
    I’ve read somewhere that testing only ‘some’ of the drywall or ripping only ‘some’ out to look for the name is not necessarily effective, since many builders will purchase drywall from several sources – meaning that any single house may contain more than one ‘type’ of drywall in it (you may end up testing or ripping out only ‘good’ drywall).

The article also stated that as few as three sheets could be enough to affect an entire home and that tearing out all of the drywall and replacing it may not be enough to solve the effects since the chemical corrosion has already taken place, which means it will continue corroding metal components – wiring, plumbing, structural components like joist hangars and nails (even galvanized), still, after the drywall has been removed. As a result, the article suggested that the only true solution is to bulldoze any houses proven to contain Chinese drywall (signs of corroded wiring, rotten egg smell, sick occupants, etc).

If I come across the article again I’ll post it here. . . .

HOW MANY TIMES DO ‘WE’ NEED TO BE POISONED OR HARMED BY INFERIOR CHINESE PRODUCTS BEFORE OUR GOVERNMENTS DECIDE TO PROTECT US??? LEAD IN PAINT USED ON CHILDREN’S TOYS, TAINTED MILK, HARMFUL CHEMICALS IN CLOTHING and FOOTWEAR, CORROSIVE GASSES IN DRYWALL . . . WHAT’S NEXT????

THEY DO NOT FOLLOW ANY QUALITY GUIDELINES OR HEALTH AND SAFETY REQUIREMENTS THEREFORE PEOPLE WILL CONTINUE TO BE HARMED,ALL FOR THE SAKE OF SAVING A FEW DOLLARS HERE AND THERE.

THE ENTIRE WORLD SHOULD BAN THE IMPORT OF CHINESE GOODS.

THIS IS SAD!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12