Default ladder stabilizer

Do ladder stabilizers ever get in the way? Are there any that have a quick release to remove or fold down feature?

What are your experiences with them?

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: ladder stabilizer

Mine has a quick release. It comes in real handy, even sometimes with my folding 12 foot ladder. It can help me get to a main roof from a sloped lower roof by almost hanging the ladder from the upper roof. Sounds crazy, but I'm not a big risk taker. I only do what feels safe.
    The only problem is you can't put it on the extension ladder without it being extended some already, which can be awkward.

"There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com

John, do you know what brand your stabilizer is? I would like one with a quick release.

Can you switch it from one ladder to another?

I'm pretty sure it's a Werner, and it easily and quickly can be removed from one ladder and put on another. You just push the latch and slip if off. It fits on both my 28' extension and 12 foot folding ladders.

"There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)

Looks like this.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

I'll get me one of those. Yeah. Thanks John.

$43.79 from Amazon.com Free shipping too. Sweet!!!

Amazon.com: Werner AC78 QuickClick Stabilizer: Your Store

Michael Thomas
    Paragon Property Services Inc., Chicago IL
    http://paragoninspects.com

Michael,

Does he charge by the minute, how about mileage, does he help with the roof too?

Seems to me he is blocking too much of the ladder for me.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by John Arnold View Post
    ...It comes in real handy, even sometimes with my folding 12 foot ladder. It can help me get to a main roof from a sloped lower roof by almost hanging the ladder from the upper roof....
    Wouldn't you know it, just a few days after posting that, I was trying the trick described above and the standoff/stabilizer twisted on me and almost left me stranded on the upper roof. I'm going to try one of those steel ones that Michael Thomas posted.

John Dirks, I PMed you about it.

It is a bit heaver, but it's SOLID, fer''sure.

If the roof is above 4/12 or above. and you can get the ladder up high enough to use it as illustrated in the picture I posted the ladders is not only held clear of the gutter but is very stable, I don't even bother to tie off wern using that standoff unless wind is an issue.

Also works well with my Xtend & Climb, BTW.

Michael Thomas
    Paragon Property Services Inc., Chicago IL
    http://paragoninspects.com

Guys we don't get paid enough to be taking chances of "climbing to a second story from a sloped roof by hanging a stabilizer off a gutter line." As a firefighter I will take risk when I have to save lives. As a HI I will climb any roofs that I can safely access from the ground but those that are only accessible from another roof line are inaccessible in my book. Almost all of us had near misses or times where we have said I am glad that climb is over but what if you had fallen? Who is going to pay your mortgage? Do you have extended health care? How are you going to pay all the medical bills when they come due? It has happened and will happen again because someone took a risk or was careless.

Be safe!

//Rick

Rick Bunzel
    WWW.PacCrestInspections.com
    360-588-6956

I saw this on another MB. I might get me one of these.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Quote Originally Posted by David O'Keefe View Post
    I saw this on another MB. I might get me one of these.
    I got those but haven't had a chance to use them yet, except fooling around in my yard.
    They definitely add some weight to the top. You can't install them without extending the ladder some first.