daniel nantell Guest

Default re; joining a national organization and local Ass.

I recently sent a e-mail to find out what it would it cost to join a local Home Inspectors Ass. and I was told it would cost the same joining the National. My question is at doulble the price, would be the advantageous of belonging to both, would it be cost effective. thanksl

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: re; joining a national organization and local Ass.

Quote Originally Posted by daniel nantell View Post
    I recently sent a e-mail to find out what it would it cost to join a local Home Inspectors Ass. and I was told it would cost the same joining the National. My question is at doulble the price, would be the advantageous of belonging to both, would it be cost effective. thanksl
    I get asked this quite frequentaly since I'm involved locally with our State chapter and also a national member.
    When asked this my reply is what are you looking for from an association?
    When newer inspectors ask this I will aften recommend attending a few local meetings to get a feel for what the local chapter has to offer with continued ed. see if you fit in with the members ways of doing business, and promoting our profession to the public.

As far as joining a national association, there are major differences, I always suggest before spending any money, research the assoc. and look for one that represents your way of doing business, and more importantly the way you want to be represented by the leaders and members of the org to the public on a national level.

Inspect AZ

Last edited by Dan Harris; 03-27-2009 at 10:10 AM.

Some locals require that you belong to the national in order to join. I think belonging to the local is a good benifit. It always lifts me when I go to the local meetings and interact with the other inspectors.

Also, nationals require anual CEU's. You get CEU credits for attending the local meetings.

I say, join both.

We have a state association. You must belong to the state association to join a local chapter. There are 8-10 chapters across the state so you don't have to drive hours to attend. My local chapter has technical presentations at each monthly meeting. Members attend state licensing board meetings and report back to the assoication what the board is up to. I have met other inspectors who have sent jobs my way when they were too busy.

The state association funds a lobbyist who is in theory influencing law makers to be favorable to Home Inspectors.

There is only one National Association that holds meetings in my state. I attended a meeting last month and there are only 60 members state wide. They meet 1+ hour drive one way from my house. The members tend to have a decade or more experience. They offer technical seminars at meetings. Members tell me that the national website drives at least enough business a year to to cover the cost of the dues. Members tell me
    that prior to joining, customers specifcially requested membership and did not hire then because they were not members. They immediately joined to conserve business.

I am a member of a different national association because I get a free membership because I belong to my state association. That org offers no local training or meetings but has some on-line training and chat room. It is free and I can include the logo on my marketing materials so customers can see I belong to a national org. It has never driven any business my way. But it is free.

Associations should provide you a tangible benefit: training, improve the industry, networking with other home inspectors, drive customers to you, provide credentials. Why would you join a club that does not provide a tangile benefit directly to you?

"The Code is not a peak to reach but a foundation to build from."

Mitchell Meeks Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Harris View Post
    I get asked this quite frequentaly since I'm involved locally with our State chapter and also a national member.
    When asked this my reply is what are you looking for from an association?
    When newer inspectors ask this I will aften recommend attending a few local meetings to get a feel for what the local chapter has to offer with continued ed. see if you fit in with the members ways of doing business, and promoting our profession to the public.

As far as joining a national association, there are major differences, I always suggest before spending any money, research the assoc. and look for one that represents your way of doing business, and more importantly the way you want to be represented by the leaders and members of the org to the public on a national level.

Inspect AZ
    I am still thinking about whether I want to joint an association but I am pretty sure I do not want to join an Ass. (hehehe)

Quote Originally Posted by daniel nantell View Post
    Some local/chapters are on the expensive side, you have to look at what you are getting for the fee. Some have monthly dinner meetings and that is part of their fee.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com