Thread: Ferrous Ochre

Mghazal Guest

Default Ferrous Ochre

Hi every one,
    I have been reading posts on the website for a while and I appreciate the valuable time and info put and discussed here.
    There is one subject that I could not find any post discussing it which is FERROUS OCHRE or FERROUS OCHER (Mineral deposits found in the French drain system).
    If you know of one please let me know or perhaps this post can be the one.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: Ferrous Ochre

Quote Originally Posted by Mghazal View Post
    Hi every one,
    I have been reading posts on the website for a while and I appreciate the valuable time and info put and discussed here.
    There is one subject that I could not find any post discussing it which is FERROUS OCHRE or FERROUS OCHER (Mineral deposits found in the French drain system).
    With that red/orange color, it looks like iron oxide is leaching into the water. Also the name Ocher is a type of iron oxide and Ferrous means iron. So I would logically think that is what you have.

Last edited by Scott Patterson; 03-28-2009 at 08:51 AM.
    Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Mghazal Guest

Thank you Scott for the reply.
    Actually the photo you have seen is taken from somewhere elese with an extreme situation.
    The photo I have taken from the inspection site is attached here.
    The concerns are from the following facts:
    - This house is situated in an area known to have Iron Oxide (Ferrous Ocher in Latin)
    - I have read an article about (Contagious Ferrous Ocher ??) where it grows into neighboring units.
    - There are different forms of Iron Oxide that have different colors other than Orange (RED)
    - The red coloration here is at the top and below it is a black color sludge.
    So after all that :
    Is it possible that this house soil is just getting contaminated or I should not worry about it or shall I recommend a LAB test.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Is it possible that this house soil is just getting contaminated or I should not worry about it or shall I recommend a LAB test.

To put yourself at ease, there is no harm done in testing the soil and water to verify what it is which is contaminating it.

Better to know there is no problem and not have to worry, or, know there is a problem and have to decide what your next options are, than to not know and be concerned about it every time you think about it.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

As Mr Jerry said there is no harm testing the water. I have seen where overhead sewer systems have had cracks in the line and was leaching raw sewerage in to the French drain system causing the black sludge in a sump pump pit.

Last edited by Ron Hasil; 03-28-2009 at 07:23 PM. Reason: Had to not call Mr Jerry an ass. So fixed the typo

Ron,

Hoping that was a "typo" ...

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Ron,

Hoping that was a "typo" ...
    Oh my.. sorry Jerry yes it was a typo and fixed now.

Mghazal Guest

Thanks guys, I believe I will indicate the possibility of Ferrous Ocher and advise him to get a lab test.

I hope we can find more detailed literature about this matter. Thanks again

Mghazal here is a link to University of Flordia that I have found a good read about ochre. I hope it helps you as well. CIR671/AE026: Iron Ochre And Related Sludge Deposits In Subsurface Drain Lines

Ron,

Thank you for posting that, it is always good to read good and useful information applicable to the question at hand.

Thank you.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Mghazal Guest

As usual great stuff, great infi.
    Thanks a million guys.

Mghazal Guest

Spelling mistake corrected:
    As usual great stuff, great info

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

The black film deposits sticking to the PVC looks to be biofilm.
    Sulfur reducing bacteria - black-ness of the material likely mostly iron sulfide. Manganese and Nitrates may also be present.

If you're not detecting a sulfur odor, perhaps iron reducing bacteria.

Not unlike what we'd expect to find in a septic drain field or where a sanitary sewer has a breach, or a contaiminated well.

Bacterial analysis caution against untrained acquiring samples some pathogens can make you very ill.

This article mentions some potential pathogens (but not all).
    Biofilm Remediation - Feature Articles - National Driller____

Last edited by H.G. Watson, Sr.; 03-29-2009 at 12:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by H.G. Watson, Sr. View Post
    Bacterial analysis caution against untrained acquiring samples some pathogens can make you very ill.

This article mentions some potential pathogens (but not all).
    Biofilm Remediation - Feature Articles - National Driller____
    That what they make gloves for!

Really it is not rocket science, just about anything a home inspector deals with in a home can make us sick. Use common sense and don't chew your finger nails and you should be fine.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Mghazal Guest

Actually this house is situated in a rural area and does have a septic tank adjacent to it.
    What I understand here is that there is a possibility that the septic tank is leaching near the French drains and that is why we see those black sludge deposits?

Ted Menelly Guest

Actually this house is situated in a rural area and does have a septic tank adjacent to it.
    What I understand here is that there is a possibility that the septic tank is leaching near the French drains and that is why we see those black sludge deposits?

My guess wood have been either or such a fertilizers in the ground and septic leach water could be coming back through the soil as well.

Just stick your finger in it and taste it That should tell you.

Mghazal Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Menelly View Post
    My guess wood have been either or such a fertilizers in the ground and septic leach water could be coming back through the soil as well.

Just stick your finger in it and taste it That should tell you.
    I saw some inspectors over here do that and this is something I could never do. LOL

Hi every one,
    Mghazal,

All the information you need (en français seulement) at link below:

Le Réseau de Protection du Consommateur

Click on *Association* on top of page, and choose*Association des consommateurs pour la qualité dans la construction*, under *Dossiers*, click on *Ocre ferreuse*.

Hope this helps,

Last edited by Marcel Gratton; 03-30-2009 at 10:09 AM.