Default Proper entrance for for water supply

Can anyone tell me the requirements for water supply piping coming into the house through concrete. Ex: if it was copper tubing could it be encased in the concrete or have to be in conduit? That type of thing for the various supply line types out there. Thanks very much in advance. Brian

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Proper entrance for for water supply

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Robertson View Post
    Can anyone tell me the requirements for water supply piping coming into the house through concrete. Ex: if it was copper tubing could it be encased in the concrete or have to be in conduit? That type of thing for the various supply line types out there. Thanks very much in advance. Brian
    Brian,

This is from the 2006 IRC and should most installation you are referring to: (underlining is mine)
    - P2603.3 Breakage and corrosion.
    Pipes passing through or under walls shall be protected from breakage. Pipes passing through concrete or cinder walls and floors, cold-formed steel framing or other corrosive material shall be protected against external corrosion by a protective sheathing or wrapping or other means that will withstand any reaction from lime and acid of concrete, cinder or other corrosive material. Sheathing or wrapping shall allow for expansion and contraction of piping to prevent any rubbing action. Minimum wall thickness of material shall be 0.025 inch (0.64 mm).

- P2603.4 Sleeves.
    Annular spaces between sleeves and pipes shall be filled or tightly caulked as approved by the building official. Annular spaces between sleeves and pipes in fire-rated assemblies shall be filled or tightly caulked in accordance with the building portion of this code.

- P2603.5 Pipes through footings or foundation walls.
    Any pipe that passes under a footing or through a foundation wall shall be provided with a relieving arch; or there shall be built into the masonry wall a pipe sleeve two pipe sizes greater than the pipe passing through.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Default Re: Proper entrance for for water supply

Thanks Jerry, thats what I was after! Brian