Michael P. O'Handley Guest

Default Washington Inspectors: Licensing Starts in 90 Days

Attention Washington State home inspectors,

If you haven't already done so, you need to start getting yourself organized because you only have 90 days until the new state licensing law for home inspectors kicks in.

According to the Washington State Department of Licensing (WSDOL), after July 1st, 2009 every practicing home inspector in Washington state will need to meet the state licensing guidelines by the cutoff date for their particular category or be forced to close their businesses until they've met all state requirements. The new law states:

"Beginning September 1, 2009, a person shall not engage in or conduct, or advertise or hold himself or herself out as engaging in or conducting, the business of or acting in the capacity of a home inspector within this state without first obtaining a license as provided in this chapter."

Depending on how much experience they have, home inspectors in the state are classified into three categories:

1. Experienced Inspectors - Inspectors in this category must have been in the business at least two years and have completed at least 100 inspections as of June 12, 2008.

Inspectors in this category must apply for a license before September 1st, 2009 and will need to have taken and passed the state-mandated home inspector's exam and provided the state with proof of time in business along with a verifiable list of more than 100 inspections.

Inspectors in this category who haven't completed those requirements by September 1st, will be forced to close their companies and then complete all 120 hours of the state-mandated classroom training, complete 40 hours of supervised inspections with a licensed inspector, and then take and pass the state-mandated home inspector exam, before being issued a license and allowed to reopen their companies.

2. Less experienced inspectors - these are inspectors who were actively practicing inspections but hadn't been in the business more than two years or completed at least 100 inspections as of June 12, 2008.

Inspectors in this category have a window from July 1st 2009 until July 1st 2010 to complete all of the mandatory classroom training, supervised inspections and take and pass the state-mandated home inspector's exam.

Inspectors in this category that have not met all state-mandated requirements by the July 1st 2010 cutoff date will be forced to close their companies until they've met all state requirements.

3. Very new inspectors - these are inspectors who entered the profession after June 12, 2008.

As of July 1st, 2009, these inspectors are not allowed to practice home inspections until they've completed all of the state-mandated education and supervised inspection requirements, as well as taken and passed the state-mandated home inspector's exam.

According to the WSDOL, the initial application/exam fee is $300 and the cost of the initial license will be $680. Licenses will be good for 2 years and the licensing fees are expected to be reduced once the initial round of licensing has been completed.

There may be some wiggle room for inspectors in the second category that have attended non-state-approved inspector training courses. Depending on the course, the Department of Licensing might allow them partial credit toward the 120-hour classroom training requirement as long as they complete a state-approved makeup course; these will be handled by the state on a case-by-case basis.

Where licensing has been implemented in other states, some inspectors have resisted change and been slow to comply. Practicing inspectors who ignore this new law, or attempt to fraudulently obtain their license by submitting false information to the state, do so at their own risk; under state law the Director, Washington State Department of Licensing, has the authority to apply for relief by injunction without bond, to restrain a person from the commission of any act that is prohibited under RCW 18.280.140, and thus can legally shut down an inspector's company. In such a proceeding, it is not necessary for WSDOL to allege or prove either that an adequate remedy at law does not exist, or that substantial or irreparable damage would result from continued violation.

The Director also has the authority to issue civil infractions under chapter 7.80 RCW in the following instances:

1. Conducting or offering to conduct a home inspection without being licensed in accordance with state law.

2. Presenting or attempting to use as his or her own the home inspector license of another.

3. Giving any false or forged evidence of any kind to the director or his or her authorized representative in obtaining a license;

4. Falsely impersonating any other licensee; or

5. Attempting to use an expired or revoked license.

Any home inspector cited under these rules would need to appear in court to answer the charges and all fines and penalties collected or assessed by a court because of a violation of the law would be remitted to the Department of Licensing to be deposited into a special business and professions account.

Under state law, should WSDOL have a company shut down by injunction for failing to comply, both WSDOL and the Washington State Home Inspector's Advisory Licensing Board are immune from suit in any action, civil or criminal, based on disciplinary proceedings or other official acts performed in the course of their duties in the administration and enforcement of the new law.

To learn more about these new rules, visit the Home Inspectors' Licensing section at the Washington State Department of Licensing website or contact Rhonda Myers, Inspection Program Manager, at 360-664-6487 or email the DOL at: DOLINTHomeInspectors@dol.gov.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike O'Handley
    Your Inspector Inc.,
    Kenmore, Washington
    Phone: 425-298-8413
    Direct: 425-80604875
    E-mail: hausdok@msn.com

Similar Threads:
    Crawl Space Creeper

Ron Bibler Guest

Default Re: Washington Inspectors: Licensing Starts in 90 Days

Washington state sucks... Got to love the thinking out of Olympia.

These wack job have just about ran that state in the ground and now they will put the last bit of dirt in the hole...

With everthing going for the place. Evergreen trees, rivers full of fish, hunting and just a nice place to live. But going to be one place you just can't make a living...

Best

Ron

Richard Moore Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Bibler View Post

These wack job have just about ran that state in the ground and now they will put the last bit of dirt in the hole...

With everthing going for the place. Evergreen trees, rivers full of fish, hunting and just a nice place to live. But going to be one place you just can't make a living...
    Thank you Ron. That was really helpful. Someone posts an important informational piece for our state inspectors and you felt the need to offer than that? Did you run out of wall space down there for graffiti?

I guess we could argue about which economy is deeper in the dumpster (that would be yours), but what's the point?

To paraphrase from Luke 4:23, Whack job, heal thyself!

Last edited by Richard Moore; 03-31-2009 at 02:49 AM.

Wow, $680 for licensing.... that stings. Down I-5 here is Oregon it's only $150 for 2 years and $50/year for the Pest/Dry Rot license. I hope they do lower the fees. That's a bit out of line, it seems.

Ron Bibler Guest

Sorry Richard... My post was Directed at the WACK JOBS IN THE SATES CAP... I was a long time resident of Washington state. That place is my other home... But you should look at what is going on in your back yard... If no one stands up and says STOP the mad-ness then that what you will get MAD-NESS... (Wow, $680 for licensing) MAD-NESS...

Best

Ron

Post Re: Washington Inspectors: Licensing Starts in 90 Days

I am not to exited about the $680 dollar licensing fee. They say it will be about half of that the year after. I think that this mandatory licensing will be good in the long run. It will make it much harder to become a home inspector in Washington State. Hopefully this will help curb future competition and keep the bozo's from getting into the business.

Ron Bibler Guest

Hey Trent all they want is your money. I had my WDO With washington state back in 1988 and that was all they wanted back then... It would have been a joke if it was not for the money going out of my pocket at that time. I got nothing back form that License nor any help or info from the state.

I think it was around $ 75.00 Bucks back then...

Its just a money grab.... Sorry thats the way i see it...

Best

Ron

State licensing to curb competition??? I doubt it.

Erby Crofutt, Georgetown, KY - Read my Blog here: Erby the Central Kentucky Home Inspector B4 U Close Home Inspections www.b4uclose.com www.kentuckyradon.com
    Find on Facebook at: https://www.facebook.com/B4UCloseInspections

Steven Meyer Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Trent Tarter View Post
    I am not to exited about the $680 dollar licensing fee. They say it will be about half of that the year after. I think that this mandatory licensing will be good in the long run. It will make it much harder to become a home inspector in Washington State. Hopefully this will help curb future competition and keep the bozo's from getting into the business.

TRENT

You have just confirmed what I have said all along concerning licensing!! At least you are honest enough to admit the truth.

This licensing bill has NOTHING to do about consumer protection. Trent so aptly confesses, "will help curb future competition"!! Think that says it all!!

Of the three "requiremenmts" , the first does nothing more thasn PROTECT current (long term) inspectors.

two and three, are nothing more than to limit newer inspectors to stay in business, and exclude those who wish to enter the business.

The licensing fee up front cost at this point, is absurd!! A financial disincentive for newbees. "will be reduced in future years" When was the last time in recent history, the state of Washington EVER reduced taxes or fees????!!! The reduction, in thory, would come about with more people entering the business thus spreading the costs over more people, so that the licensing fee can be "self funding". Now just how is that going to work, when limiting (discouraging) entry into the business??? And with the loss of marginally profitable HI business people. I would conclude, that as you exclude new members into your little "club", licensing fees will remain high, and probably go higher.

Free enterprise no longer exists in Washington state, and being the most business unfriendly state continues.

Steven Meyer Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Erby Crofutt View Post
    State licensing to curb competition??? I doubt it.
    Suggest you read thr bill.

State licensing, in any form, limits competition.

If this was a consumer protection bill, outlining business parctices and liabilities, that would be tollerable. The consumer just got shafted, bu maintaining the status quo, which will limit competition, keep prices high, along with no gurantee of a quality inspection.

This is just state run and controlled unionism!!

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Meyer View Post
    TRENT

You have just confirmed what I have said all along concerning licensing!! At least you are honest enough to admit the truth.

This licensing bill has NOTHING to do about consumer protection. Trent so aptly confesses, "will help curb future competition"!! Think that says it all!!

Of the three "requiremenmts" , the first does nothing more thasn PROTECT current (long term) inspectors.

two and three, are nothing more than to limit newer inspectors to stay in business, and exclude those who wish to enter the business.

The licensing fee up front cost at this point, is absurd!! A financial disincentive for newbees. "will be reduced in future years" When was the last time in recent history, the state of Washington EVER reduced taxes or fees????!!! The reduction, in thory, would come about with more people entering the business thus spreading the costs over more people, so that the licensing fee can be "self funding". Now just how is that going to work, when limiting (discouraging) entry into the business??? And with the loss of marginally profitable HI business people. I would conclude, that as you exclude new members into your little "club", licensing fees will remain high, and probably go higher.

Free enterprise no longer exists in Washington state, and being the most business unfriendly state continues.

Ahh ole stevie boy
    You really don't have a clue, instead of thinking for yourself you resort to the same ole BS posted on the nazi BB , where the owner of that wannta be org supports non lic so he has a chance to stay in the business of certifing HI opposed to someone else.

All one has to do is look at questions posted by on-line certified inspectors on that nazi site from inspectors in non lic states, and questions from lic inspectors to see that lic. as min as some state requirements are, min state requirements are far better than instant online certs.or no regulation at all.

As far as restrictions, or consumer protection, if there is not any lic requirement's, how does anybody know how many are claiming to be a home inspector, or how many start daily with no HI training or knowelge of the profession.
    How can that provide the consumer protection?

Curb competition. Naa, lic just curbs wannta be's that think they know it all with out having to prove it, before selling their service or reprensenting our profession to the public.

Last edited by Dan Harris; 04-10-2009 at 10:23 AM.

Suggest you read thr bill.

State licensing, in any form, limits competition.

If this was a consumer protection bill, outlining business parctices and liabilities, that would be tollerable. The consumer just got shafted, bu maintaining the status quo, which will limit competition, keep prices high, along with no gurantee of a quality inspection.

This is just state run and controlled unionism!!

The consumer just got shaffted.
    Have you read the SOP? Or better yet do you even have a clue what SOP stands for?

Last edited by Dan Harris; 04-10-2009 at 09:54 AM.

Hi All,

A correction to what I'd posted above re. the length of time the license is good for.

I wrote that the initial license was good for two years but actually it is not. The way it's going to work will be similar to the way Washington State issues driver's licenses with the renewal date being keyed to one's birth date. In this case, licenses will expire on the inspector's second birthday after the license is issued.

So, someone who gets his license issued, say, a week before his birthday will need to renew the license in 53 weeks, versus someone who gets it issued the week after his birthday, in which case it will be good for just about two years. The renewal rate is still, as of this date, going to be $375.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Last edited by Michael P. O'Handley; 04-10-2009 at 10:48 AM. Reason: To fix my lousy spelling.

Steven Meyer Guest

DANNY BOY

I figured this would bring you out of your cave!!

Your good old mantra, licensing solves everything. Would hate to bust your little bubble, but there are some old timmer inspectors WITH LICENSES that have no clue what they are doing, and those "in the pockets" of realtors, who write "soft" reports, and turn a blind eye so as to not be a "deal breaker", when their loyality SHOULD be to the buyer. There is nothing in any licensing law that addresses this type of "cozy" wink, winkl, relationship with the realtors.

The consumer needs more protection from those types of inspectors than they do with the few that may be incompetent. Those that are lousy inspectors, will ultimately go out of business (That's called the free market place, tho good drives out the bad). Free enterprise, a concept that eludes you.

The realtor's lap dog, "will make the deal work types" will always have work.

The SOP outlines minimum standards, but does not gurantee a quality inspection, nor does it address the realtor/inspector relationship, nor does it address the fact that the client is your highest priorty.

The best deterent to a shoddy inspector, is the courts, a large judgement against the inspector, will definately drive him out of business.

Licensing is in no way a gurantee of the competence of the license holder.
    Virtually all of the trades are licensed, yet how many times have you come accross work done by a licensed trade person that is shoddy, or just plane wrong??!!

I do not follow the mantra of the "other board", I have disliked unions from the time I was a teenager and was forced to join the retail clerks union, before California became a right to work state. Further, I have always had a distrust of government, and subscribe to the Regan attitude, government isn't the solution, goverment is the problem. Bottom line for me, less government is better government.

If you can show me any licensing law that has kept out incompetent people, let me know. Doctors, Dentists, Lawyers, Stock Brokers, Electricans, Plumbers, general contractors, etc. are all "licensed", and they all have their fair share of problem members. Therefore, licensing solved nothing, just gives a sense of viladity to those that are incopmpetent!!

You can go back into your cave now.

Stevie.
    Using your arguments, If you were concerned about goverment enforcement , and the cost to the public, I would think you would be more successful in helping the public by trying to repeal all building code requirements, building inspections, and state enforcement of them, [ the things that add thousands of $s to every home and remodeling project] before trying to stop enforcement of home inspectors that expose the crooks that screwed the customer before them.

I'm going to my cave at my 1PM mfg. home inspection.

Last edited by Dan Harris; 04-10-2009 at 11:33 AM.

Steven Meyer Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Harris View Post
    Stevie.
    Using your arguments, If you were concerned about goverment enforcement , and the cost to the public, I would think you would be more successful in helping the public by trying to repeal all building code requirements, building inspections, and state enforcement of them, [ the things that add thousands of $s to every home and remodeling project] before trying to stop enforcement of home inspectors that expose the crooks that screwed the customer before them.

I'm going to my cave at my 1PM mfg. home inspection.
    Not fond of building insepctors, many of who, haven't a clue. It's also, amazing that a $100 dolar bill, "left carelessly on the kitchen counter" can get ya. There are many instances of building inspectors whio have missed major items, the result of which, the city denies any liability. There was a case in the Seattle area a few years ago, that the building inspector "missed" the fact that all the framing was done with utility grade studs, and this was a rather large condo project. It was not the building inspector who "discovered" this error.

Building code requirements are just the minimum. Just amazing, that homes built 80 or a hundred years ago (before codes) survive our earth quakes, houses built in the 50's on did not do so well. Same holds in the mid west, east coast, the old south, houses built BC (before codes) while many of their counterparts built under codes, are in shambpes.Many of the new codes that are added each year or so, are not a result of careful thinking (cost/benefit) but are rather instituded by the lobbying effort of the manufactures. It is easier, more cost effective for these manufactures to get a code mandate, than it would be to promote their product on the open market.

There are "crooks" as you indicate in every business endevor, but which is worse, the builder who cut corners, or the HI that knows it to be true, but glosses over it to curry favor with the realtor?

I would like to point out, that it is easier (and cheaper) to get a real estate license in WA. state, than it has now become to get a HI license. Who can do more damage? I say the realtor, who has a vested interest in that large comission, and weill led that unsuspecting buyer down the road of ruin. (Take our crurrent housing "crisis' where realtors got many into hoimes they could not afford, and assisted that buyer/sucker in to "cooking" the loan application!!)

Licensing should consist of:
    the name and address of the license holder.(to verify the person is who he says he is)
    Bonds and liability insurance to cover any screw ups by the license holder. I know that many will disagree on an insurance requirement, but lets be realistic, if someone really screws up, will he have the financial means by which to make it right (I don't think so) And if they did, why the hell are they working!!

A list of requirements (such as a SOP), so that if he overlooks , does not report on such items, he can be held liable for damages, and possibly fined by the state and or have his license revoked.

Now, that is consumer protection!! Anything more than that, is just a restraint of trade.

So Steven, are you going to get your home inspector license?

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Steven Meyer Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post
    So Steven, are you going to get your home inspector license?
    Was "licensed" under the "old system" At that time it was more geared to collecting the B & O tax, in this state.

Maintained my general contractor and other licenses in another state, as "inactive" so will reactivate there.

Not the licensing gig in Washington that I am doing that for. Had in mind moving to a warmer/dryer area for a long time. Now that my son has graduated from UW in June, which is what kept me in WA. state, I can now get out of Dodge.

It is the tax structure and run away spending of Olympia that has moved my time frame up. Got my property tax assessment, even thou values are DOWN 30%, my tax liability is UP 20%!! Go figure!! There seems to be no end in sight for our governor and legislator, to take from the haves and give to the have nots. I have worked to long and hard to get what I have, and no longer care to be forced to share that with others.

The state of Washingtin is "owned and operated" by the teachers union and the civil servants union! Even the cities and county seem to believe there is a never ending well of money to draw from. I just don't wish to continue being a contributor!!!

So, I bid farwell to: The Peoples Republic of Washington State.

PS I am not the only one considering change, many of my subs have gone out of business or are and contemplating a change. My only question to those in Washington, will Boeing be next??? Something to think about!!

Steven Meyer Guest

Best

Ron
    You've got that right!!! Great place to live, not a great place to make a living!!

Like you, I'm out of here.

Not the licensing gig in Washington that I am doing that for. Had in mind moving to a warmer/dryer area for a long time. Now that my son has graduated from UW in June, which is what kept me in WA. state, I can now get out of Dodge.

It is the tax structure and run away spending of Olympia that has moved my time frame up. Got my property tax assessment, even thou values are DOWN 30%, my tax liability is UP 20%!! Go figure!! There seems to be no end in sight for our governor and legislator, to take from the haves and give to the have nots. I have worked to long and hard to get what I have, and no longer care to be forced to share that with others.

So, I bid farwell to: The Peoples Republic of Washington State.

PS I am not the only one considering change, many of my subs have gone out of business or are and contemplating a change.
    Steven.. When you find that perfect place that is not raising taxes, where you won't be forced share what you have with others, or where contractors, or any other companies are not going out of business, be sure to let all of us know where it is.

Steven Meyer Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Harris View Post
    Steven.. When you find that perfect place that is not raising taxes, where you won't be forced share what you have with others, or where contractors, or any other companies are not going out of business, be sure to let all of us know where it is.
    There is no such place, unfortunately, government with its attitude "we know whats best", perimates to entire country. Government should provide basic services, nothing more, nothing less. And do so as econimically as possible. But that usually is not the case.

A corporation pays a tax in its income, then when what ever is left over is paid out in a dividend, it is taxed again. That is double taxation on the same income. I work all my life, save and struggle and live modestly, pay taxes on what I make, then when I die, the government taxes again money that has already been taxed. That, again is double taxiation.

Yup, the economy is in poor shape, the strong and smart will survive, there are no gurantees in life. Part of that survival is to seek alternatives, and one I wish to seek, is a state that is less greedy, and fiscaly responsible. And there are several.

Don't know what your state tax status is to day, but years ago, it wasn't that bad. I sold out my real estate interests there in 1996.

Washington state taxatioin, as I recall was the 8th highest in the nation, and we do not have an income tax, (YET).

You are more than welcome to pay as much in taxes as you wish (vote for). I choose to find any way not to. My house today is finally paid for, I am now "renting" it back from the county/city, and that rent (property taxes) now exceeds what my monthly mortgage payment was.

Live long enough, and this will happen to you, being taxed out of your house.
    One of our insightful state legislators came up with a grand option for the elderly, retired folks on a fixed income, "you can always take out a reverse mortgage"!!

You can go back to your room, now.

InterNACHI's free, online WDO course was approved by the Sate of Washington last week Washington State approves InterNACHI's free online WDO course. - InterNACHI

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa Endza View Post
    InterNACHI's free, online WDO course was approved by the Sate of Washington last week Washington State approves InterNACHI's free online WDO course. - InterNACHI
    Lisa,

I would be helpful if you were upfront and honest about your posts.

In the post above you did not state that it is ONLY approved for recertification, not for certification, which your post could be taken as meaning - I did so I questioned it and checked the link out: "Recertification Course Search Results: "

Any other limitations you would like to disclose to us?

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Sorry, this is my first day back to work since having my baby and while I was gone, dozens of new state approvals and accreditations (right column of How to become a home inspector - InterNACHI) came in. My fault. It is for re-certification, not newbees (although the post certainly isn't "dishonest" in any way).

InterNACHI is not geared toward newbees. We only target existing, veteran inspectors and so we really don't offer any initial, pre-licensing courses and never have. We let the other associations and schools cater to the newbees. We offer the advanced continuing education.

Last edited by Lisa Endza; 07-20-2009 at 01:19 PM.

Sorry, this is my first day back to work since having my baby and while I was gone, dozens of new state approvals and accreditations (right column of How to become a home inspector - InterNACHI) came in. My fault. It is for re-certification, not newbees.

InterNACHI is not geared toward newbees. We only target existing, veteran inspectors and so we really don't offer any initial, pre-licensing courses and never have. We let the other associations and schools cater to the newbees. We offer the advanced continuing education.
    Lisa, how many INACH members have more than 5 years in the profession? This should be fairly simple to obtain. If it is easier, how many of your members have held an INACHI membership for more than 5 years or even 3 years?

Glad you are back at work, I know it was hard to leave that little bundle of joy.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Steven Meyer

Once and for all will you back up your claims that licencing stiffles competition?

Ron Bibler Guest

I had a WDO Licensed in Washing State Back in 1989... The test was a Joke. I think it was 20 Q. T.F. TOOK ABOUT 10 Min.

They were only after the TAX money Then and they are only after it now.

This new H.I. Lic. is going to just open the door for Law Firms in the WASH. State.

I think it will take some time for the SOP. To get on track and for people to under stand what they are inspecting.

If I was working there now I would be about $ 500.00 per insp. for a 3/2 home.

Best

Ron

Last edited by Ron Bibler; 07-20-2009 at 01:07 PM.

Hi,

It won't take any time at all to get used to the Washington State Standard of Practice. It's not all that different from the standards of the major associations. Chances are, if an inspector belongs to one of the major association, and is already actually complying 100% with his or her association standard, than the inspector is probably in compliance with the state standard and the transition is very smooth.

The ones that it will impact the most will be independents that don't claim to subscribe to any particular association standard(s) and sort of have their own system; they'll need to learn to comply fully with the state standard. It's not hard to know if you'll be able to be in compliance by doing and reporting on exactly the same thing that you always have, just go to the DOL site and look at the SOP.

As for the WDO course, I don't want to burst Ms. interNACHI's bubble, but it is not approved for home inspectors for continuing education - only for renewal of one's pest certification. So, if a home inspector carries a second license as a bug guy, he can use it to count toward renewal all his bug inspection license but he may not use it (yet) toward completion of the CE requirement for home inspectors.

If interNACHI wishes the course to be approved for CE credit for home inspectors, so that it counts toward their home inspection CE credit, interNACHI needs to submit an application to DOL's home inspection manager. Once she gets it, if it meets the application criteria, she'll send it to one of the board members for review. The board member will either approve it or disapprove it, or might approve it with conditions and specify what interNACHI needs to do to bring the course into compliance with the requirements established by DOL.

One other important note - Experienced inspectors; I hear there are a bunch of you whose birthdays fall close to the deadline that plan to wait until after your birthday to get your license, because you don't want to have to pay for your first license and then have it expire next year in only 12 or 13 months. Keep in mind that if you do that and you miss the deadline that your status will automatically change from experienced inspector to inexperienced inspector and you'll then be required to get all 120 hours of in-classroom training, 40 hours of supervised inspections and then take and pass the tests by July 1st of next year. That would be a needless waste of your time, energy and money.

Just do what's needed to get your license and complete it by the deadline. Sure, this time around it will be tough but next time will be smooth sailing.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Thank you Michael. I don't want to burst your bubble, but all of our many advanced home inspector courses were already submitted to her several months ago. She immediately returned them all to us explaining that she was not ready to approve continuing education yet.

InterNACHI acquired the WSDA approval because we believed that home inspectors in Washington were required to be WDO licensed.

Nope,

Home inspectors in Washington state are only required to be licensed for WDO now if they intend to carry a WDO license. If not, they are allowed to identify wood rot and conducive conditions but have to refer bug issues to a licensed SPI just like in so many other states.

WSDA can no longer prevent a home inspector from doing a full SOP compliant home inspection here without having a structural pest inspector's license.

Resubmit, the approval process has been ongoing for months.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Michael P. O'Handley View Post

WSDA can no longer prevent a home inspector from doing a full SOP compliant home inspection here without having a structural pest inspector's license.
    Not sure if things will end like they are across the river here in Oregon but you basically won't work if you're not doing 'Pest/Dry Rot' inspections with your home inspections. Nobody will call two guys and pay two fees when you can get them both in one stop.

I agree with Matt and that goes for all ancillary inspections.

Hi Matt,

Well, let me point out that this post was initiated by me to inform Washington State home inspectors about important new developments that are going to affect their livelihoods, not to debate who in Olympia is competent or is trying to suck people's wallet dry.

I also didn't initiate it to provide a place for Ms. Endza to talk about a course that, because it's not even approved for home inspectors, has absolutely nothing to do with home inspections. Point of fact, all Ms. Endza is doing is using her post as a pretext to drop links back to interNACHI. Isn't there some kind of a prohibition against spam here?

As to your point, that consumers want one stop shopping and will be more likely to use the services of an inspector that, in addition to his home inspectors license, is also licensed as a structural pest inspector, so as to not have to contact more than one inspector, I don't disagree, nor do I condemn those inspectors that choose to hold both licenses. I was just pointing out that, when it comes to decisions that affect home inspectors in Washington State, WSDA's approval or rejection of a course designed for pest guys is irrelevant.

Neither topic - interNACHI's receipt of approval for their non-home-inspector-related course, and the subject of having a pest license, has anything to do with the subject of this thread - nor do Mr. Bibler's or Mr. Meyers' inane rants against politicians in Olympia.

Those who qualify as experienced inspectors here now have less than 45 days to complete all of the requirements that will enable them to obtain their license under the grandfathering rules. I certainly hope that they are paying more attention to the information in the initial post than they are to these attempts to distract readers from the point of the thread.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Last edited by Michael P. O'Handley; 07-21-2009 at 12:33 AM.

C'mon Mike. Washington has a higher percentage of home inspectors with WDO licenses than any other state. We acquired another approval for a free, online course. Is my post so off-topic as to be considered spam?

InterNACHI is not a home inspection organization. It is an inspection organization. We help our members perform commercial inspections, mold, radon, water, WDO, fire door, green, stucco/eifs, new construction, 4 point, thermal imaging, energy audits, and many others. "Home inspections" is but a small part of our operation.

As for dropping links back to nachi.org, unless I have to reference something, I won't. But do you really think that nachi.org, a 235,000 page website with 260 milion hits a year from around the world needs anyone "dropping links back" to it? I don't think so.

As per your instructions, I'll resbumit all our courses to Washington and see see if she is ready now. She told us last time that she didn't want the CE courses listed on the state site at that time so that they wouldn't be confused with pre-licensing courses. That seemed to make sense to me too.

Last edited by Lisa Endza; 07-21-2009 at 08:01 AM.

Ron Bibler Guest

I'm Sorry Michael... I not do tat no Moe.

I was a bad Boy

Best

Ron

InterNACHI is not a home inspection organization. It is an inspection organization. We help our members perform commercial inspections, mold, radon, water, WDO, fire door, green, stucco/eifs, new construction, 4 point, thermal imaging, energy audits, and many others. "Home inspections" is but a small part of our operation.

As for dropping links back to nachi.org, unless I have to reference something, I won't. But do you really think that nachi.org, a 235,000 page website with 260 milion hits a year from around the world needs anyone "dropping links back" to it? I don't think so.

As per your instructions, I'll resbumit all our courses to Washington and see see if she is ready now. She told us last time that she didn't want the CE courses listed on the state site at that time so that they wouldn't be confused with pre-licensing courses. That seemed to make sense to me too.
    Lisa Nachi is not a home inspection organization nor is it an inspection organization because it has no credibility, no verifiable testing, and is a marketing organization. Heck it cannot even pass the muster for ethical treatment of members. While you are here trying to promote it as the Gods gift to the inspection industry it remains anything but, and anyone with half a brain need only to look at the complete and utter stupidity and conflicts which are quite obvious. The actions and discussion prove conclusively that Nachi is nothing but a defunct marketing driven group.

If you want to be spokes person for Nick and his ship of fools, send the fool himself to do the explaining.

And contrary to so-called ESOP members who publicly display their concept of ethics I do not have cancer. Wishful thinking on Michael Larsons part and Jim Bushfarts desire. How can you ever hope to convey the message that Nachi is a body that is ethical and morally driven?

I don't know about others that visit this site, the reason I come to Home Inspection and Home Inspector Information For Property Inspectors is to better myself as a HI and learn the facts, truth on whats happening in our profession.

Now if I want to see an embarrasment to our profession, get useless certificiations, see lies about other HI's, see spam posts claiming that I can get free CE. only to find the free CE is useless to any body thats been inspecting for more than 30 days, or if some one took a 3 day HI training course.
    Find out that the free CE is worthless, be informed if I really want to get creditable CE I have to pay additional $s or pay to join the HI org. providing the free CE.
    If I wanted any of that crap, I would go to inspectionews.com

Phoenix AZ Resale Home, Mobile Home, New Home Warranty Inspections. ASHI Certified Inspector #206929 Arizona Certified Inspector # 38440
    www.inspectaz.com

Jeez,

A split topic feature would be so useful here.

OT - OF!!!

M.

Michael

That is why I don't frequent your forum, you split the topics.

Why would you object to splitting a topic, if splitting the topic keeps the discussion within the IP's intended topic area and creates additional discussions about other topics outside of that area, without diluting a thread and gumming up site search features? We don't delete them; we just create an additional topic area so that the IP's thread can stay on track and our search results won't be all gunked up with off-topic drift.

Rants about iNACHI being a public relations/marketing firm - which I agree is the case, by the way, and even Nicko the Sicko agreed that is the case in an email he sent me once - really have nothing to do with the information I was putting out when I initiated this thread; neither do rips on pols in Olympia or rants about hidden taxes and such, and certainly the thread topic has nothing to do whatsoever with what CE courses get approved anywhere because it has to do with initial licensing. (We do edit posts of link droppers, by the way. When we realize what they're doing, we do in and take out the code in order to defeat their attempt at skirting the rules.)

The purpose of my initial post in this thread was to put out information to keep inspectors abreast of developments so that they don't find themselves screwed at the last minute. All of these other topics do nothing but bury the useful part of the thread and make it more likely that someone trying to follow it will get discouraged, click off without finishing the thread, and miss an important piece of information that they do need.

That's all I'm saying.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Jeez,

A split topic feature would be so useful here.

OT - OF!!!

M.

Mike,

Invariably, when you come here you end up complaining that you can't run this site the way you want to.

I am sure there IS a split topic feature on this board, and that the ADMINISTRATOR - BRIAN could do so if he wanted to, however ...

... the way Brain manages this board is part of what makes it so successful with all home inspectors.

IF YOU don't like it, run your own board ... oh, wait, YOU ALREADY have your own board ... .

If you want to run a board and split topics, go back to your board and split topics, here we take it all as it all adds to greater knowledge without someone trying to control everything because they like it different than it is.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Michael

Unfortunately the information contained in your original post, which I agree was informational - has been hi-jacked by a seemingly inocuous post from Nachi.

The way I see it anything offered by Nachi should be examined very closely, given what most of us know about its operations and legitimacy. Here we have a spokes person for Nachi openly advertising their courses, which given the encompassing image of Nachi how can these courses or any other manner of offerings be seen as legit?

Don't get me wrong but its rather strange to me that Nachi is able to boast its success and other tripe, but really shouldn't they consider taking out a banner add on Inspection News if they want to market their courses and ply their wares?

Ooops, looks like the thought police called Liza on her earlier post describing what Nachi is. Its been edited out in post 34 above.

nterNACHI is not a home inspection organization. It is an inspection organization. We help our members perform commercial inspections, mold, radon, water, WDO, fire door, green, stucco/eifs, new construction, 4 point, thermal imaging, energy audits, and many others. "Home inspections" is but a small part of our operation.

Last edited by Raymond Wand; 07-21-2009 at 10:43 AM. Reason: Had to add more face icons!

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Mike,

Invariably, when you come here you end up complaining that you can't run this site the way you want to.
    Oh, Gee Jerry, like I never expected you to chime in and accuse me of trying to control this board. Where are all of these invariable complaints, Jerry? I'm just saying that people could be a little more courteous to initial posters and, if not, a split feature would be nice.

Besides, Jerry, if anyone can be accused of trying to control this board it's you. You have a way of relentlessly dogging people that you disagree with until they finally tire of your crap and throw in the towel. It doesn't even seem to matter to you whether they are correct or justified in what they say, you have to win the argument at all costs and that's why we in the business now use the word "peckish" to mean a pedantic person who has to have something to say about everything and insists that he's never wrong. Congratulations, you've become a vocabulary word.

I'm sorry that your Napolean complex forces you to want to be the center of attention and to constantly seek confrontation with people, but, again, your need to feel taller has nothing to do with this thread. Could you please, as a favor to everyone, bite me.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

I really don't understand why 3 of you above have accused InterNACHI of being a marketing firm for its members, as if that is something horrible. Inspectors need help with marketing. So of course we are going to provide that help. Is this news to you?

Lisa Endza
    Director of Communication
    InterNACHI

I really don't understand why 3 of you above have accused InterNACHI of being a marketing firm for its members, as if that is something horrible. Inspectors need help with marketing. So of course we are going to provide that help. Is this news to you?
    Male PMS!

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Scott,

Why do you think they call it "men"-opause? Now shut up and get me some Midol!

Oh, Gee Jerry, like I never expected you to chime in and accuse me of trying to control this board. Where are all of these invariable complaints, Jerry? I'm just saying that people could be a little more courteous to initial posters and, if not, a split feature would be nice.
    Mike,

If you would set your ego aside long enough, and I know that would be hard for you to do, you can re-read the posts above and see that nothing was said until YOU started telling us how YOU think this board should be done.

Sorry, Mike, but this is not your board, I was just pointing that out.

YOU run YOUR board the way YOU like, no problemo.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post
    Male PMS!
    Pre Marketing Stress ...

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Wand View Post
    Scott,

Why do you think they call it "men"-opause? Now shut up and get me some Midol!

How about "men" "o" "pause" as the men take time to pause be screaming "Get me some Midol!"

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Exclamation Re: Washington Inspectors: Licensing Starts in 90 Days

.... and now, everyone back on topic please!

Thanks!

View The List Of InspectionNews Member Benefits!

-----------------
    Sincerely,
    Brian Hannigan
    InspectionNews.net / InspectionReferral.com
    Helping Inspectors $ucceed Since 1997TM

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/InspectionNews
    Twitter: @InspectionNews

I don't know about others that visit this site, the reason I come to Home Inspection and Home Inspector Information For Property Inspectors is to better myself as a HI and learn the facts, truth on whats happening in our profession.

Now if I want to see an embarrasment to our profession, get useless certificiations, see lies about other HI's, see spam posts claiming that I can get free CE. only to find the free CE is useless to any body thats been inspecting for more than 30 days, or if some one took a 3 day HI training course.
    Find out that the free CE is worthless, be informed if I really want to get creditable CE I have to pay additional $s or pay to join the HI org. providing the free CE.
    If I wanted any of that crap, I would go to inspectionews.com
    Hi Dan,

I think you have a typo in this post-- read what you wrote in the first and last sentences....... You can change what you wish

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Whitmore View Post
    Hi Dan,

I think you have a typo in this post-- read what you wrote in the first and last sentences....... You can change what you wish

Brandon,

Dan wrote precisely what he wanted to ... read it again ... carefully this time. Took me a couple of times to catch it too.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Ron Bibler Guest

Attention Washington State home inspectors, Where licensing has been implemented in other states, some inspectors have resisted change and been slow to comply. Practicing inspectors who ignore this new law, or attempt to fraudulently obtain their license by submitting false information to the state, do so at their own risk; under state law the Director, Washington State Department of Licensing, has the authority to apply for relief by injunction without bond, to restrain a person from the commission of any act that is prohibited under RCW 18.280.140, and thus can legally shut down an inspector's company. In such a proceeding, it is not necessary for WSDOL to allege or prove either that an adequate remedy at law does not exist, or that substantial or irreparable damage would result from continued violation.

Mike O'Handley
    Your Inspector Inc.,
    Kenmore, Washington
    Phone: 425-298-8413
    Direct: 425-80604875
    E-mail: hausdok@msn.com
    This would harder for the state to do then you have posted.

Its not Karl Marx On State Regulation. they have proceeding that need to be fallowed... If this was the case you guys in the North are in trouble.

Have fun with all that

Best

Ron

OK Counselor,

That information is taken directly from the RCW. Unless you are the Washington State AG, I don't think you've got a heck of a lot to say about it.

Washington Inspectors - The intent of this thread is to ensure you are informed about the most recent aspects of your licensing rules as your deadlines draw nearer. None of us can afford to gamble our livelihoods based on armchair quarterbacking by folks from other states. If you haven't already done so, get on the DOL website, fill out your application, attach your required proof of experience and a list of at least 100 fee-paid inspections, and forward your packet ASAP to DOL. It will take about a week to get your notice of approval and then you'll need to schedule the tests. That will take about another week. Once you've taken and passed the tests, all you have to do is complete the last part of the licensing process and pay your fee prior to COB on the last day of August.

Don't drag your feet; get it done ASAP - time is short!!!

OT - OF!!!

M.

Last edited by Michael P. O'Handley; 07-22-2009 at 01:52 AM.

Blair Pruitt Guest

Best

Ron
    As a counterpoint to your opinion, Forbes magazine placed Washington no. 3 in their annual ranking of Best States For Business.

The Best States For Business - Forbes.com

Blair

Ron Bibler Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Blair Pruitt View Post
    As a counterpoint to your opinion, Forbes magazine placed Washington no. 3 in their annual ranking of Best States For Business.

The Best States For Business - Forbes.com

Blair
    Thats why Forbes office in the Bay Area

I just don't like the thinking out of Olympia.

I just don' Vote for the ones that come up with this stuff...

Forbes Puts Washington in Top 10 for Average State Tax Burden

Olympia Business Watch: Forbes Puts Washington in Top 10 for Average State Tax Burden

According to Forbes, Washington ranks as the 8th highest state for average state tax burden in the nation. We rank behind Vermont , Hawaii, Connecticut, Minnesota, New Jersey , New York and Massachusetts. Rounding out the top 10 are Washington, Wyoming and Pennsylvania.

The Forbes report was released at the end of March. It shows Washington's average tax burden per person is $2,553 compared to Vermont's $3,861, Connecticut's $3,596, Massachusetts' $2,953 and Pennsylvania's $2,223. Forbes states:
    "Federal taxes and worries about the IRS make sense in April. But as April 15 approaches, citizens in many places have quite a bit to worry about from their state governments as well. Based on U.S. Census Department numbers, Forbes calculated the highest individual state tax burdens based on property, individual income, sales, alcoholic beverages, tobacco, motor vehicles, hunting and fishing, motor fuels, death and gift taxes, as well as insurance premiums."

Specifically about Washington, Forbes says:
    "Thanks to California, the West Coast has a reputation for heavily taxing businesses. Washington, however, likes to spread the burden around,

" I think some one eles side something like that " What was the guys name...? Spread the Wealth Around...

making it the leading Western state for taxes. There are low property taxes in the state, and no personal income tax, but just try and buy something. Sales taxes--which come out to $2,181 per person--account for 85% of personal taxes paid."
    While some may use the high sales tax burden as fodder to reignite the effort to pass a state income tax, it is important to remember that 54% of the initial state and local taxes collected in Washington (including unemployment and workers compensation insurance) come from business.
    These are difficult times for Washington employers, families and those we elect to office. Carving up a smaller revenue pie is acrimonious and hard. Hopefully, we will position our Main Street businesses to lead us back to prosperity and the sooner, the better for all of us who want to work, live and raise our families here.
    Don C. Brunell, President, (DonB@awb.org)

Best

Ron