Default New Truck/Car - What would you buy

I have a 10 year old Expedition that I love but is getting long in the tooth. I was planning on trading it in next year but with the automaker incentives and now that the government is considering a $5K trade-in credit, I am ready to get off the fence.

Here are my requirements: Must get more than 20mpg average (the 13.5 my expedition gets really hurt last summer) 2) Must store my Little Giant Inside (it rains here way too much and whistling noises eliminate roof rack option) 3) AWD option is a plus 4) 0-60 in less than 15sec a plus 5) decent handling a plus. 6) Last but not least an American base manufacturer is a plus (hey those guys are desperate and will give you a smoking deal)

What does everyone think?

//Rick

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1
    Rick Bunzel
    WWW.PacCrestInspections.com
    360-588-6956

Default Re: New Truck/Car - What would you buy

It depends on all your other needs. Expeditions seat up to 7 people.

A 2-door compact pickup with a bed cap would meet all posted requirements but would not seat the same number of people.

If it is a work only truck, a compact pickup with manual tranny and a bed cap could be a great choice. If the vehicle must do double duty as the family car to haul the kids and gear to all events, than you must look at other options.

I am driving a Dodge Dakota Quad Cab with a cap. Little Giant fits in the back but the kids are in high school and are a bit cramped in the back. 4.7 liter V8 has plenty of get up and go but at 14 mpg, not so much fun.

For a few grand more, I could have purchased a full size pickup with larger passenger compartment and same or better fuel economy. Trying to keep the current vehicle running a bit longer with the hopes business picks up so can replace.

"The Code is not a peak to reach but a foundation to build from."

I've been driving a Ford Explorer Sport Trac now for a few years and it is a work horse.

Hadn't had any problems with it at all. (Typical Brake pads and oil changes)

It has room to seat 4 comfortable if needed. Of course I keep the back seat filled with tool bags, etc....

Read bed would hold most type ladders HI's use. Of course your not going to put a 24ft. in it.

My sons call it a "butch" truck, whatever. It works for me. It just hit 100K miles on it and runs like a charm.

If I picked up something else right now, I'd consider maybe the Hummer 3.

My son has one and it has a ton of room on the inside and they are not that expensive as most might think.

rick

Michael Larson Guest

Rick,

I think it's important or you to show your support for the Obama administration and his recently acquired Auto company.

I would suggest going with the OB-1 as it is very green and backed by the full faith and credit of the USA with a full nose to tail warranty.

If gas mileage were no issue, I would opt for an extended cab full size Chevy Silverado with a bed cover, just because I like driving trucks.
    But in the real world, gas mileage is an issue and I drive a Scion Xb.
    I originally bought it more for a marketing hook so people would recognize and remember me since I had just moved and had to start from scratch.
    I found though that the Xb is one of the easiest vehicles I have ever worked out of, just handy. I started out with a roof rack and then figured how to make my Werner ladder (like a LG) fit inside out of the weather. Upper 20's on MPG while driving it hard to around 30 if I am gentle on the throttle. I carry everything I need inside with room for a front seat passenger or with the ladder on the roof rack, room for 4. Cheap initial price and great resale potential.
    Great on ice and snow with zero repairs.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

What about a Tahoe Hybrid?

Tahoe Hybrid - Car and Driver panned the Tahoe Hybrid. For the extra cost you would have to have it over 10 years before you see payback with todays gas prices. Obviously we are going to see prices head back toward $3 a gallon and that will shorten the breakeven point but to what?

Secondly, I would never buy a first gen hybrid. Obviously the US automakers are still challenged in this area....

//Rick

Rick Bunzel
    WWW.PacCrestInspections.com
    360-588-6956

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

I've been very happy with my GMC Envoy Denali. I have the 8 cyl for the power (tow) and have always done better on the milage then the sticker promised (well, except when I lead foot it around with fast starts - has great power 0-15). Usually tool around in 2wd but can flip to auto/awd or awd on the fly. 4wd with locking diff a plus when needed esp. when North. Performs fine on 97 oct. not a bit below though.

Preferred the all leath interior and options to the Chevy version.

With the "G" now backing up the warranty (generous) program (bought in to extended with GM) I'm even happier .

I opted (had to hunt) to NOT have the navigation OR DVD stuff - attractive nuisiance for break-ins. Tomtom or similar works better. Onstar turn by turn works fine through 6 CD change radio as well. Can't begin to tell you how much I've ended up using the compressor .

Last edited by H.G. Watson, Sr.; 03-31-2009 at 12:37 PM.

The Chevy Traverse is a smaller SUV. Not bad and it is made down the road from me! Only issue is that they start at about $30,000 and average around $35,000! I still can not understand why GM made a brand new car for that price and it only gets 18/24mpg.

I will be in the market for a new vehicle as well soon. I really do not want to spend more than $20,000 for it and I want to downsize from my F-150. The Ford Escape is not bad and is on my list.

Most likely I will by a "new" used car from Car Max or a similar dealer. I just have a hard time paying top dollar for a work vehicle that depreciates 25% in the first two years.

The Hyundai and KIA SUV's are also on my list. They are made in the USA..

If everyone would take a look at where all of the parts come from in their American cars you would see that they are really international cars. I think a good percentage of GM parts come from Canada and Mexico.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

I'd stay away from Carmax and the arbitration anti-class action clause on their deals.

GM was giving vehicles away with employee pricing and rebates a year ago. If you can find what you're looking for certified and negotiate extended warranty on top with low miles you can really make out 40m+ vehicle with 15m miles on it 7 years bumper to bumper, free towing & loner for $18m including tax & extended on the whopper of a certified program on select models (similar to the Cadillac program when they bumped it). The terms and conditions of the cert programs vary depending on the month. There should be boat-loads of the 08's coming off-lease and competing against the employee sale/rebates on the stock 08s and 09s sold last late-summer/early fall (where with some xtra pressure at the end of August you could whomp them on a 44m sticker for 22m + tax out the door.

I do miss the old XLs (disc 06) .

Better milage perhaps on the cross-over SUVs but couldn't stand their lack of power and low-rider profile personally - I won't hike off road with tools and ladder, fine perhaps for some citified territories.

Lotus Elise. Who cares if it's impractical. Telesteps would fit in just fine and the other tools, well you probably really don't need them anyway.

Most important, you would look and feel cool.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

Some of those crossover SUV-wagon type things look pretty nice. Lincoln makes one (I think it's an MKS) that's AWD, has nice large wheels/tires for good handling and gets pretty good mileage. One of my regular agents drives one and raves about it, particularly how well it does in the rain/snow. Ford makes it also with less bells and whistles.

Ron Bibler Guest

You should get out and test drive each one. thats what i did and the Toyota Tacoma was hands down the best truck on the market. I get around 22 mpg around town. 4 full doors with the sport pack... One very nice truck... after looking and test driving the Tacoma was the truck for me.

Best

Ron

personally i Use a WV Jetta Wagon 1.8 Turbo 24mpg 205 Hp

Little giant strapped to the roof - everything fits in back

Pick up my 3 kids after school - no problem

Next vehicle - chevy HHR with a roof ladder rack

Still looking for my Volvo V70 AWD

Gusee it depends on your prioritys and wallet...lol

I've had my Chevy HHR panel for 2 years now.
    55,000 mi. no problems, 30 plus mpg city and freeway combined.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar Alquist View Post
    Lotus Elise. Who cares if it's impractical. Telesteps would fit in just fine and the other tools, well you probably really don't need them anyway.

Most important, you would look and feel cool.
    I like your thinking.

Either that or an H-6 if you are on the scale of thinking bigger is better.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Gunnar,

Or this, more my style.

YouTube - Jaguar XJ 220

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

How about the Ford Super Chief concept truck?

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Ted Menelly Guest

Shoot

Buy a ford. So far its the only one that is not sucking tax money up.

Either that or

What I'd really enjoy driving?

39 Studebaker

rick

Ron Bibler Guest

Say Rick I was thinking about a 55Chev NOMAD Somethime back before i got the toyota. but For the day to day work driver I need to put the key in and go.
    But i would love to drive one around. The last 55 Chev 210 I had was a bit of a drag in some ways. like every time i would go to the store i would park in 3 spaces and I was always look back to see if the car was gone ...

I still do that with my bike...

Best

Ron

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Hurst View Post
    What I'd really enjoy driving?

39 Studebaker

rick
    Or This

Question Re: New Truck/Car - What would you buy

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    I like your thinking. Either that or an H-6 if you are on the scale of thinking bigger is better.
    Or this, more my style.
    YouTube - Jaguar XJ 220
    I thought you were kidding with the H6 until I looked it up. The real benefit of the Elise is that it starts for under 50K. Actually affordable.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar Alquist View Post
    I thought you were kidding with the H6 until I looked it up.
    Cool, huh?

When I was in South Florida a dealer down there had them on the showroom floor and parking lot.

The real benefit of the Elise is that it starts for under 50K. Actually affordable.
    Have to agree there, what with the Lotus Elise being 1/10 the price of the Jaguar XJ 220, but, hey, to some people ... that $500k IS "affordable".

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

I'd get a Dodge Grand Caravan (used to be Plymouth Grand Voyager). Though I'd probably go for used with about 20,000 on it. Let somebody else suck up that drive it off the lot depreciation.

Seats 7 when you really need it to but I pulled out the back seat and put my LG17, WGML 12 footer, and my tool box back there along with some other junk I haul around with me (folding chairs for the old folks, etc.) Still seats 4, though it seldom does.

Drove the first one for about 10 year and 300,000 miles.

This one is the second. It's about nine years old with about 260,000 on it. I did have to replace the driver's seat on it because it broke and wouldn't recline anymore. About $75.00 at the junk dealers for a nice new looking seat.

Last time I checked it's still at about 22 MPG combined city and highway.

It just kinda glides down the interstate at about 80 MPH. I mean 70, really!

Last edited by Erby Crofutt; 04-01-2009 at 05:54 PM.
    Erby Crofutt, Georgetown, KY - Read my Blog here: Erby the Central Kentucky Home Inspector B4 U Close Home Inspections www.b4uclose.com www.kentuckyradon.com
    Find on Facebook at: https://www.facebook.com/B4UCloseInspections

My 97 Toyota T100 is still going strong. It only has 170K on it, so it's probably good for a few more years. I don't think I have had anyone in the back seat EVER. It's only a work truck, so I can keep it as cluttered as I want inside.

The two guys that have worked for me had a Scion and a Honda Element. I would have either one of those, except the Honda gave my guy some problems.

As far as CarMax goes, I have had excellent results with them, including having them fix something that my mechanic found on the car after I bought it. They didn't even hesitate, and gave me the choice of them fixing it, or paying for my mechanic to do the work.

Like Scott said, it's hard to tell where a car is made any more. I don't think any car is fully made in one country. I don't mind buying a japanese car, after all, the salesman lives in my town, the owner of the dealership lives in my town, the mechanics and support staff live in my town. There is a Japanese company in the Knoxville area that makes components for cars and employs hundred of locals. The parts go into both American and foreign cars.

Not really a clear line any more.

I'll probably be looking in 3 or 4 years, unless I just rebuild the engine.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Cool, huh?

When I was in South Florida a dealer down there had them on the showroom floor and parking lot. Have to agree there, what with the Lotus Elise being 1/10 the price of the Jaguar XJ 220, but, hey, to some people ... that $500k IS "affordable".
    Yah, but not many inspectors around here could afford the insurance (or speeding tickets) for one of those, much less the car payment.