Default Gray 2 prong to 3 prong adapters

I don't know if I read this somewhere or if common sense has just lead me to this conclusion but aren't these adapters with the metal clip useless on a straight two wire system?

The little metal clip that extends off the bottom is undoubtedly intended to be pinned under the coverplate screw which is then bonded to a metallic box, correct?

I've called this out as incorrect so many times before I found myself wondering today when or where I first got my impression of these things. What do you guys have to say when you run across these?

On a side note: I especially like the ones in an older kitchen that connect a power strip to an old crusty outlet. The power strip of course contains a coffee pot, microwave, refrigerator and marijuana grow lights, etc, etc.

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Gray 2 prong to 3 prong adapters

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Fellman View Post
    I don't know if I read this somewhere or if common sense has just lead me to this conclusion but aren't these adapters with the metal clip useless on a straight two wire system?

The little metal clip that extends off the bottom is undoubtedly intended to be pinned under the coverplate screw which is then bonded to a metallic box, correct?
    Correct on both accounts, but (from another thread ) ...
    but, seriously, isn't there a point where we just inspect what is there?

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

The good news is the lack of a bathroom door won't kill you.....

Matt,

Just pointing out that on one thread you are suggesting ignoring a big old missing bathroom/toilet room door which would make the return air taken from the bathroom, and on this thread ...

... you were finitely pointing to a specific small part and examining it instead of addressing it as 'clothes washer not grounded and plugged into a non-grounded receptacle outlet' (or whatever appliance you found it at) which would address the 'killing fields' you are mentioning as being the difference.

Not sure that I would want toilet room air to be pumped into the kitchen while cooking - not sure of what deaths that would cause, no, but it could sure make things nasty.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

I've never seen a master bathroom open directly to a kitchen.... and I also haven't seen self-closers on master bathroom doors to keep the toxic odors you speak of contained in a bathroom and/or out of a kitchen.

The point is a dangerous wiring installation is more important than a missing crapper room door, no matter how many code sections you can underline or bold. Just because two things are in the code doesn't make them of equal importance.

They're not completely useless. They do tend to keep folks from breaking the ground prong off the cord end...............

The point is a dangerous wiring installation is more important than a missing crapper room door, no matter how many code sections you can underline or bold.

"The point is" (was, this was my point) that in one post you were shooting down a 'big' item as being 'let it go, just inspect what is there' and in this post you were delving into the finer details an adapter plug without 'letting it go and inspect what was there'. You also should have noticed the 'wink' and 'big grin' , and, if not, you can still go back and see them ... 'smiley face' .

The problem *IS NOT* the finer details of that adapter plug - the problem *IS* the 'ungrounded appliance and ungrounded circuit to that appliance'.

THAT "was the point".

THAT adapter plug *IS NOT GOING TO KILL ANYONE* ... the ungrounded appliance and ungrounded circuit may.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Kriegh View Post
    They're not completely useless. They do tend to keep folks from breaking the ground prong off the cord end...............
    I keep one in my tool bag for testing ............ 2-prong outlets.
    The middle light of the tester lights up, demonstrates for client power, lack of a ground.
    I file the wide prong of the adaptor down so I can test the old razor-only transformer, at least report it's working, (then recommend upgrade to GFCI.)
    Oil furnaces in Mobile homes have 2-prong outlets for fan-only mode.

I never see them grounded to the centre screw on an outlet. I see a lot of ungrounded power bars - students. Good thing Laptops have isolated power supplies.

Quote Originally Posted by John Kogel View Post
    I never see them grounded to the centre screw on an outlet.

John,

The only thing that bracket does when attached to the cover plate screw is to hold the adapter in place.

If the receptacle is not the grounding type, then the strap is almost a sure bet *not grounded either* in which case that screw only holds the adapter in place.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

I always figured that clip was meant to ground to the metal plate screw for the small window of two prong outlets (around 1960) where there was 2+1 but the ground just went to the metal box. Or, for BX cable where the box was grounded but the outlets are just two prong.

I still carry a two prong 'wiggie' and often confirm this wiring by going from 'hot' to the plate screw. And, of course, there are ground wires (albeit skinny ones) in the panel.

I always figured that clip was meant to ground to the metal plate screw for the small window of two prong outlets (around 1960) where there was 2+1 but the ground just went to the metal box. Or, for BX cable where the box was grounded but the outlets are just two prong.
    Back then, the metal spiral wrapped sheath on AC cable (BX) *was not allowed to be used for* an equipment ground. It was, however, required to be "grounded". Thus, with AC cable connected to a metal box (also required to be "grounded") was not suitable for the installation of a 3-wire grounding type receptacle, and thus the metal screw was also not suitable for attaching that grounding ear to as the AC cable (BX) was not allowed to be used for that purpose.

I still carry a two prong 'wiggie' and often confirm this wiring by going from 'hot' to the plate screw. And, of course, there are ground wires (albeit skinny ones) in the panel.
    I found what worked best for me on those was a voltage sniffer, I could also tell which prong/slot was 'hot' and which one was not.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

My partner just taught me a cool trick with the voltage sniffers. Sometimes, you get a hot reading from both openings in an outlet but if you cover the one you're not testing with you finger it prevents that everytime.

Another one is with those dryer outlets that you can't get a tester into because the holes are too deep. Stick your screwdriver in the slots and then use you sniffer on the blade of your screwdriver. Of course, being carful. I actually wrapped my screwdriver in electrical tape, just leaving the tip exposed, to prevent me from being shocked if I happen to hit it with something live while the shaft is resting on my hand.

Another one is with those dryer outlets that you can't get a tester into because the holes are too deep. Stick your screwdriver in the slots and then use you sniffer on the blade of your screwdriver. Of course, being carful. I actually wrapped my screwdriver in electrical tape, just leaving the tip exposed, to prevent me from being shocked if I happen to hit it with something live while the shaft is resting on my hand.

Matt,

Do this instead: Take a short piece of 12 AWG solid, grab the conductor with a pair of pliers, slide the insulation toward the other end about a 1/2" or so, leaving about a 1/2" of so of copper exposed on that one end, and the extra 1/2" or so of insulation hanging off the other end. Now bend the excess insulation back over the insulated conductor and tape it there. Then wrap that in tape to make sure it all stays good and secure.

If you are going to stick *something* into the receptacle, stick that in, NOT ... not your screw driver.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post

Matt,

Do this instead: Take a short piece of 12 AWG solid, grab the conductor with a pair of pliers, slide the insulation toward the other end about a 1/2" or so, leaving about a 1/2" of so of copper exposed on that one end, and the extra 1/2" or so of insulation hanging off the other end. Now bend the excess insulation back over the insulated conductor and tape it there. Then wrap that in tape to make sure it all stays good and secure.

If you are going to stick *something* into the receptacle, stick that in, NOT ... not your screw driver.

Have you been talking to my mother?

Ted Menelly Guest

Have you been talking to my mother?
    My screw driver blades have protective coating on them already. I love it because whenever using screwdrivers and something is hot that should not be it can be a life saver.