Thread: 2/12 Roof Pitch

mathew stouffer Guest

Default 2/12 Roof Pitch

Is this a 2/12 pitch or less?

Thank you
    Mat

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: 2/12 Roof Pitch

Quote Originally Posted by mathew stouffer View Post
    Is this a 2/12 pitch or less?

Mat,

Talking about the cricket with the 4 pipes through it?

Could be 2:12, 2-1/2:12, or even 3:12.

There are 10 or 11 ridge caps which are likely around 5" exposure, making that ridge 50" to 55" long give or take, so I'm going to say 54" as that is a nice round number of 4-1/2 feet.

That ridge at the short gable end looks to be 10" to 12" tall, maybe even 14" tall.

If those numbers are close to correct, then 54" / 12 = 4.5 X 2 = 9" height for a 2:12 slope.

If those numbers are close to correct, then 54" / 12 = 4.5 x 3 = 13-1/2" height for a 3:12 slope.

If you don't carry a level or slope gage with you, you can measure the run of the slope along the adjacent ridge and the height at the end of that ridge, then a quick calculation will tell you the slope: 2:12 = 8" height in 4 feet of run.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

That's the kind of roof, I see if from the ground, and I feel like I have to walk it or walk away knowing there is a good chance I missed something.

But.. did you have to go up one of those steep sections to get there?

Michael Thomas
    Paragon Property Services Inc., Chicago IL
    http://paragoninspects.com

Richard Moore Guest

Mathew, I don't know if this actually helps as angles in photos can be deceiving, but...I rotated your 2nd photo until the various ridges seemed level and then overlaid a 1:12, 2:12, 3:12 guage on it. If I had to go from that I would suspect you are closer to 2:12 than 2½:12. I've found the best and simplest method when I want to call and document inadequate slope, is a 12" level and a tape (see 2nd photo) although I'm sure some of the fancy electronic levels would also work nicely.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

A.D. Miller Guest

Mathew: It could be less than 3/12, but is a moot point. That installation is allowed with the proper underlayment. Without tearing it up, which I doubt you are willing to do, how can you know? Simply state something like, "the slope appears to be less than what is allowed for tab shingles without special underlayment material which cannot be verified without deconstructing the roof, which is beyond the scope of this inspection. We strongly urge you to have this area further investigated by a roofing contractor who is certified by the shingle manufacturer to ascertain proper installation".

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Moore View Post
    I've found the best and simplest method when I want to call and document inadequate slope, is a 12" level and a tape (see 2nd photo) although I'm sure some of the fancy electronic levels would also work nicely.

Richard,

Having used similar methods: 9" torpedo level, 24" level, angle slope protractor (like this: Angle finder tool for roof pitch or for finding angles of anything set on level or straight anything), to the SmartTool SmartLevel ( https://www.locatorsandsupplies.com/...Product_ID=916& ), I've found that the one which works best is ... ... the one I happen to have closest to me.

I like the SmartLevel and have a 24" one, I also have a 10" Sears Digital LaserTrac electronic level ( Craftsman 10 in. Digital LaserTrac® Level - 48292 at Sears.com ) which was a whole lot cheaper than the SmartLevel and does the same thing.

To get the most accurate reading from 'on the roof' you need to be able to measure at least from tip of overlap, to tip of overlap, to tip of overlap so as not to get the thickness of the shingle in the measurement.

You can also measure the slope of the roof sheathing when in the attic, ir you remember to do so and have your level and tape measure up there with you.

You can also get a good measurement off the underside of the rake drip edge as it is straight in line with the roof sheathing.

But, yes, measuring the top of the shingles are you show let's you know what is it close to. I've measured many from the top which showed 5-3/4", 6-3/4", 3-3/4" in 12 slope only to confirm elsewhere that they were really 6, 7, 4 in 12 slopes. The shingles can throw the measurement that far off when measuring the top.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

A.D. Miller Guest

You can afford to drop this one off the roof:

Amazon.com: Johnson Level & Tool 750 Pitch and Slope Locator: Your Store

Aaron,

Thanks, this ( Amazon.com: Johnson Level and Tool 700 Magnetic Angle Locator: Your Store ) is the one I was trying on find on the internet, it is like the one I have (I have two sizes of it).

Any of those are too short by themselves, but stick them to a level or straight edge long enough to span the lower edges of three shingles and you can get a fairly accurate reading.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

A.D. Miller Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Aaron,

Thanks, this ( Amazon.com: Johnson Level and Tool 700 Magnetic Angle Locator: Your Store ) is the one I was trying on find on the internet, it is like the one I have (I have two sizes of it).

Any of those are too short by themselves, but stick them to a level or straight edge long enough to span the lower edges of three shingles and you can get a fairly accurate reading.
    JP: I screwed mine to a 3-foot piece of 2X2 red oak with the pitch scale facing up so I don't have to consider the degrees. Before they came out with this one I used their angle device and had all of the pitches laminated to the back for reference.

Attached Files Attached Files

Haag Education

Unbreakable.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Luttrall View Post
    Haag Education

Unbreakable.

Jim,

Try this, much less expensive, quite similar, 5th item up from the bottom.

CertainTeed Roofing: Contractor's EDGE

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Jim,

Try this, much less expensive, quite similar, 5th item up from the bottom.

CertainTeed Roofing: Contractor's EDGE

Try this. Drill small hole in the pivot point of your speed square and thread a bead chain through the hole. Read the slope directly from the "COMMON CUTS". The picture I attached is at a 12:4 angle. Works best in the attic or on the bottom of the rake board but you can sight the roof from a distance and get very close.

4:12 ... but who is paying attention to details anyway ...

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

4:12 ... but who is paying attention to details anyway ...
    It depends on wether you look at it from your reft or light!

mathew stouffer Guest

Thanks guys. Mike, yes I had to walk the roof, I crawled onto it from a window.

Frank Suchodolski Guest

Nevermind the slope of the roof, as was said, shingles are OK to 2/12 with the right underlay. But the installation of the white PVC vents and their flashings is 1. too close to the ridge, 2. too close together 3. installed one of them sideways and 4. they have cut the ABS plumbing flashings for the install. If that isn't leaking, it's a miracle!!!

Frank Suchodolski Guest

this is what I use, slope and pitch finder. Less than $20 at Home Depot.

Mike Truss Guy Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Suchodolski View Post
    this is what I use, slope and pitch finder. Less than $20 at Home Depot.
    I have the same one. I think it's even cheaper than that. Here's one for $10.49. They reads degrees one way, and roof pitch if you flip it over.

Johnson Level Angle Finder, Angle Gauge, Model 750 (usahardware.com)

I see the new ones are magnetic. Ooooo. They're made by Johnson, but that doesn't mean you should use them to measure the angle of your Johnson. I mean unless that's a personal problem you have.

A.D. Miller Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Truss Guy View Post
    I have the same one. I think it's even cheaper than that. Here's one for $10.49. They reads degrees one way, and roof pitch if you flip it over.

Johnson Level Angle Finder, Angle Gauge, Model 750 (usahardware.com)

I see the new ones are magnetic. Ooooo. They're made by Johnson, but that doesn't mean you should use them to measure the angle of your Johnson. I mean unless that's a personal problem you have.
    MTG: $5.99 at Amazon. Buy two.