A.D. Miller Guest

Default This Looks Like a Good Idea

Inspection Referral

Ted Menelly Guest

Default Re: This Looks Like a Good Idea

Good idea. Noe all they have to do is remember to open them after the fact.

Kevin Barre Guest

Maybe it's just me, but when a product manufacturer can't even get the basics of proper grammar and punctuation correct, (on roughly a 6th grade level, I'd say) I find myself questioning every claim they make.
    For instance, tell me if this quote from their ad makes sense:
    Attic and crawl space ventilation is needed to prevent dry rot, mildew build up and overall ventilation of the home.
    What this says is that "attic and crawl space ventilation is needed to PREVENT overall ventilation of the home."

Huh? They are saying that crawl space ventilation is needed to prevent overall ventilation of the home!

Frankly, I didn't even read everything about the product since the text that I did read was so obviously poorly written.
    Admittedly, it's been a long day and I'm feeling a bit cantankerous, but I can't take the product -- or the manufacturer's claims -- seriously until the manufacturer at least hires someone to clean up the more egregious mistakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Barre View Post
    Attic and crawl space ventilation is needed to prevent dry rot, mildew build up and overall ventilation of the home.
    What this says is that "attic and crawl space ventilation is needed to PREVENT overall ventilation of the home."

it's been a long day and I'm feeling a bit cantankerous
    Looks good to me too, to and two. Settle down, Kevin. It's a new product, patent pending, no photos yet, and somebody has whipped up a webpage, probably never reads what he/she writes, we see it every day.

We forgived bad, even atrocious grammar in instruction books for Chinese products because they is cheep. Now we are all broke.

There were some good articles in JLC or Fine Homebuilding about some of the houses in the San Diego hills that were designed to withstand wild fires. They had closed soffit vents, and some other design functions that ended up working pretty well. This type of crawl space vent is probably a good idea for areas like mine as well.

Jim Robinson
    New Mexico, USA

In our area when we had an apartment complex burned down not to long ago, they changed the code quickly to have the perforated soffit changed to solid where two units share the same wall. The fire was jumping from one attic to the next.
    I guess it will take a fire to spread from crawl vents before they mandate that one.

Mike Schulz License 393
    Affordable Home Inspections
    www.houseinspections.com

I have been wild land certified firefighter since 2004. Most of the time its the fire getting into the attic versus the crawlspace thats gets the home burning. But in wildfires you get all kinds of crazy winds blowing brands around. There are no sure things but some companies do sell wraps http://www.firezat.com/images/wholehouse400.jpg

When you see the fire making a run at something the only thing you can do is get out of the way..

//Rick

Rick Bunzel
    WWW.PacCrestInspections.com
    360-588-6956