Default first one of these I've seen

I guess it looks better to the neighbors? And protects the pvc from uv.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral
    "There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com

Default Re: first one of these I've seen

Hey! That's cool!

Of course, though, it probably came with a large base flashing to get installed to the roof deck and someone just trimmed it to fit over what was existing.

Did that look "modified" or "made that way"?

I can see that blowing off in a hurricane, even a tropical storm.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by John Arnold View Post
    I guess it looks better to the neighbors? And protects the pvc from uv.

Most of the PVC I see through roofs now adays is always painted.

But in saying that I have seen PVC from the 70s sticking through the roofs that have had zero affect on them. Now, that will prpotect that boot, maybe, from drying out, cracking and leaking. Now in the hot attics I have seen PVC joints snap from just bumping into them.

A couple of concrete tile roof I have inspected the attic area on where they tie vents together with one running across to the other have just snapped off as well. I have always thought the high heet temps have a greater affect on PVC than sunlight.

Nice booties though

That might have had a pump attached to the end of it in the past.

Russ Gregory Guest

Howdy all, I am a new member here and I have a question. I am a Fire Sprinkler contractor and I have been kicking around the idea of installing fire sprinklers on the exterior of roofs at the peak and of course there is no code about it in NFPA that I can find. Of course there is no code that says you can't either. In very high fire danger areas it could really come in handy. I have spent the last 20 years in the commercial arena so I hope this is not a stupid question.

Quote Originally Posted by Russ Gregory View Post
    Howdy all, I am a new member here and I have a question. I am a Fire Sprinkler contractor and I have been kicking around the idea of installing fire sprinklers on the exterior of roofs at the peak and of course there is no code about it in NFPA that I can find. Of course there is no code that says you can't either. In very high fire danger areas it could really come in handy. I have spent the last 20 years in the commercial arena so I hope this is not a stupid question.

You mean like these, right?

Roof Top Sprinkler Systems

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Russ Gregory Guest

Actually I was thinking of running pipe along the pitch with open sidewall fire sprinklers running the length. As a sprinkler contractor I would have to use fire sprinklers. I tried calling my local fire department here today but couldn't get a hold of anyone. It is amazing that this hasn't been done before in the industry.

Back to the original post, does the opening meet the required diameter?

Dylan Whitehead

Quote Originally Posted by Dylan Whitehead View Post
    Back to the original post, does the opening meet the required diameter?
    I didn't measure it. Looks pretty close in the photos. There were problems much much bigger than that, like some of the most extensive termite activity I've ever seen, including mud tubes in the attic.

"There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)

John,

If they got mud tubes in the attic, you can just about be assured that the walls below are structurally unsound esp. if around the bathroom areas.

rick

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Hurst View Post
    John,

If they got mud tubes in the attic, you can just about be assured that the walls below are structurally unsound esp. if around the bathroom areas.

rick
    The amazing thing is that I only found one damaged band joist, even though the amount of mud/shelter tubes was enormous on other joists, subfloor and basement stud walls. These termites seemed much more interested in getting from point A to point B rather than eating wood. However I did include a strong warning about hidden damage.