Thread: Finders Keepers

Default Finders Keepers

You never know what you're going to find up on a flat roof.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1
    "There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

Default Re: Finders Keepers

This was one of my favorite finds John.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Ostrowski View Post
    This was one of my favorite finds John.
    Gives a new meaning to "tarred and feathered".

"There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)

Clint White Guest

Since you mentioned it.....

I have found some really cool old stuff in the attics of many of the older homes I have been in....but I never had the stones to take any of it.....

Not anything that anyone probably even cared about and always covered in about 3 inches of dust...but still I never have kept any of it.

How about you guys?

Is it really finders keepers when it is obvious that it is discarded, unclaimed, or 50+ years old??????

Clint

How about you guys?

Is it really finders keepers when it is obvious that it is discarded, unclaimed, or 50+ years old??????
    Absolutely not.
    Whatever is there belongs to the current owner and should pass to the new owner with the property.
    It is part of the property, not lost in the woods.
    Character is what you do when no one is watching.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

On a termite inspection about 15yrs. ago I found a 30-30 Winchester rifle Buffalo Bill Special Edition in a gun bag in the crawlspace.

The lady who owned the house was in the room watching me going through the floor access panel and was just freaking out that I was going under the house. As soon as I went under the home, I noticed this gun bag stuck between the floor joist and the girder beam. As I was coming back up latter I asked the lady about the gun.

She had no clue about it and suspected it might have belong to the previous owner or to her ex husband. But she really did not know who.

She said to get it out of her house cause she had kids and did not want any guns at the house. I asked her what to do with it and she said its yours if you want it.

To protect those kids, I said sure and I've had it ever since. Its never been fired and is in mint condition.

No other treasures.

rick

My classic roof photo

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post
    My classic roof photo
    I love it!

Clint White Guest

My classic roof photo
    Did you wipe your feet before you got on the roof, or before you went down

Chuck Weaver Guest

Now thats southern hospitality, Scott.

Quote Originally Posted by Clint White View Post
    Since you mentioned it.....

I have found some really cool old stuff in the attics of many of the older homes I have been in....but I never had the stones to take any of it.....

Not anything that anyone probably even cared about and always covered in about 3 inches of dust...but still I never have kept any of it.

How about you guys?

Clint
    For all but a very few dishonest types, the answer is "NO WAY" ... that "stuff" was not yours and is not yours.

Now, we do have a member here called Diamond Tony who feels the opposite, and he is called Diamond Tony because he admitted, no, bragged, about find a diamond ring and taking as 'well, it must not have belonged to anyone'.

Diamond Tony will probably come on here and change some details, but we had another discussion about a contractor doing so remodeling on a house and finding cash stuffed in the walls, and the contractor kept it saying "finders keepers" - the owner of the house sued the contractor and won, but Diamond Tony said he would have done the same as the contractor and kept it.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

My classic roof photo

Scott,

As you can see, they did not want to upset anyone so they installed the two mats in opposite directions, so they could welcome you going up the roof or coming down the roof.

Just typical Southern Hospitality, that's all ... Got me some fired fish, swamp cabbage and hush puppies here, got plenty, y'all is welcome to join us fer dinner.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Clint White Guest

I wonder if that is a picture of a Home Inspectors Roof?

I keep finding all these "welcome" mats just laying around on my inspections....It doesn't appear anyone needs them and I have a leaky roof....

Quote Originally Posted by Clint White View Post
    I wonder if that is a picture of a Home Inspectors Roof?

I keep finding all these "welcome" mats just laying around on my inspections....It doesn't appear anyone needs them and I have a leaky roof....
    No, not a home inspector. If I recall, the guy was a computer nerd at MCI (Bernie Ebbers company). When MCI crashed and burned he had to sell and move with a new job. This was back in 2004 in Madison, Mississippi.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Kevin Barre Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Scott,

As you can see, they did not want to upset anyone so they installed the two mats in opposite directions, so they could welcome you going up the roof or coming down the roof.

Just typical Southern Hospitality, that's all ... Got me some fired fish, swamp cabbage and hush puppies here, got plenty, y'all is welcome to join us fer dinner.
    OK...I'll bite. (So to speak.)

Just what is "swamp cabbage?" I'm a Southerner, and I have never heard that term.

(Nor have I ever had any "fired fish" -- although I assume that's just a typo. )

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

Don't know, but maybe not a typo. Could be fired as in fishin with explosives. Kaboom....fish float to surface.

The heart of a cabbage (sabal palm, possibly others) palm (tree/plant) = swamp cabbage. I believe the dish (to be "swamp cabbage") has to be boiled up with some rendered fat & browned bits from cured pork usually fat back, pig jowels, bacon or sausage. Some do it creamy (milk based) some do it browned - some spice it some don't.

Last edited by H.G. Watson, Sr.; 04-03-2009 at 09:29 PM.

Yep ... typo ... FRIED fish ...

Swamp cabbage, ... never went for it myself, but that neighbor taught my Dad which trees were the right trees and which size made the best swamp cabbage, then they would cut the trees down, bring them back and cut the heart of the tree out as that was what the swamp cabbage was made from.

HS571/MV038: Cabbage, Swamp ? Sabal palmetto (Walt.) Lodd ex Schult. & Schult.f.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Found these yesterday in the attic of a foreclosure. They are some of the really old ones, without all the plastic.

Sure my grandsons when a bit older would enjoy them, but they are not mine so I left them for the buyer.

rick

Smile Re: Finders Keepers

Is that a new type of screen for the roof drain?....lol

those Tonka's are really precious and may be worth a lot of bucks to collectors.

Honesty is wonderful... God Speed