Harry Settle Guest

Default Retiring, again, new to everything

almost.

I am retiring next month from working at a Gas Utility business. I had an epiphany last night that I should look into home inspections here in northern Minnesota. Now I'm gathering as much information as I can.

Member Benefits1

Default Re: Retiring, again, new to everything

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Settle View Post
    almost.

I am retiring next month from working at a Gas Utility business. I had an epiphany last night that I should look into home inspections here in northern Minnesota. Now I'm gathering as much information as I can.
    Welcome Harry,

Lots of good Information Here ( check the Archives ) and ask questions.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

almost.

You and about 10K other people probably had the same idea. I wouldn't call it a epiphany.

Guy called me this morning wanting information on how to be a home inspector. I asked him what qualifications or experience he had. He said, "I've lived in a Home for years."

Rick

almost.

Are you sure it was not a nightmare you had last night!

Honestly, take a look at home sales in your area. Are home selling? How many homes are selling? How many other folks are inspecting homes within a 50 mile radius of your area? My market area has picked up a little just in the past few weeks, but it is still tough going even for those of us with years of experience.

This is also no longer a part-time job. It has turned into a full-time profession, just too much to learn with a great deal of liability to do it on a part-time basis. It is a great full time gig, but it takes a few years to see a good income and to know that you have made it.

Last edited by Scott Patterson; 04-03-2009 at 05:54 AM.
    Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

daniel nantell Guest

You are making the right decesision if you like playing a lot of golf Its a great retirement job , I play golf 6 days a week and Inspect 1 day a week, great tax write off, Just got back from Orlando from on Inspection world with a a little education, a lot of golf and a nice tax write off. Only In America.

Ted Menelly Guest

Aaron

I'm sorry. could you go over that again I just did not seem to grasp what you were trying to convey Sometimes you just are not to clear about explaning your opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by A.D. Miller View Post
    It has been shown that 10,000 hours are required to master any profession...
    Has someone been reading Malcolm Gladwell's "Outliers"?

"There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com

Harry Settle Guest

So, if I've got this right, this is another professional forum where the possibilities of a part-timer gets everyones hackels up. If I'm not welcome just say so and I'll take my business to the advertisers on this forum somewhere else.

You all have jumped to some conclusions about my intentions, abilities, capabilities, business aptitude and knowledge about basic engineering.

Thanks for the welcome.

Harry Settle Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Stephens View Post
    Welcome Harry,

Lots of good Information Here ( check the Archives ) and ask questions.
    Thanks Billy. I spent some time running through the various threads yesterday and I'm quite impressed with the level that this forum is running.

Harry Settle Guest

Quote Originally Posted by daniel nantell View Post
    You are making the right decesision if you like playing a lot of golf Its a great retirement job , I play golf 6 days a week and Inspect 1 day a week, great tax write off, Just got back from Orlando from on Inspection world with a a little education, a lot of golf and a nice tax write off. Only In America.
    I'm not a golfer. Once I took some prisoners out to do some work on a golfcourse. . . they got a big kick out of undercutting around the edges of the traps. My son and I are looking at running some inspections around the Northern part of the state HI and working into some asbestos inspections, no abatement.

Maybe if I could find a way to caddy the winter crowd at Palm Springs for the tips. . . hmmm

So, if I've got this right, this is another professional forum where the possibilities of a part-timer gets everyones hackels up. If I'm not welcome just say so and I'll take my business to the advertisers on this forum somewhere else.

You all have jumped to some conclusions about my intentions, abilities, capabilities, business aptitude and knowledge about basic engineering.

Thanks for the welcome.
    Harry, you need to chill a little dude....

Part time folks are welcome just as much as anyone else. The problem is that it is very very difficult to succeed in this profession as a part time inspector. Especially now that the market has gone in the crapper and home sales are really slow.

One reason I told you to check out the market in your area.

It will cost you around $5,000 to just start a home inspection business. This will pay for your training, testing, books, reporting software, some tools and your first years general liability insurance. I'm assuming that you have a computer and a vehicle.

Right now MN is a unlicensed state for home inspectors, but if you have plans of doing asbestos inspections/testing you might want to check. Most if not all states regulate this along with the EPA.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

A.D. Miller Guest

Quote Originally Posted by John Arnold View Post
    Has someone been reading Malcolm Gladwell's "Outliers"?
    John:

"Outliers" is a great book, but the info is from his earlier works.

Harry Settle Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post
    Harry, you need to chill a little dude....

Part time folks are welcome just as much as anyone else. The problem is that it is very very difficult to succeed in this profession as a part time inspector. Especially now that the market has gone in the crapper and home sales are really slow.

One reason I told you to check out the market in your area.

It will cost you around $5,000 to just start a home inspection business. This will pay for your training, testing, books, reporting software, some tools and your first years general liability insurance. I'm assuming that you have a computer and a vehicle.

Right now MN is a unlicensed state for home inspectors, but if you have plans of doing asbestos inspections/testing you might want to check. Most if not all states regulate this along with the EPA.
    Thanks for the reply Scott, the tone and information in your above comments are more like the helpful attitude that I note in the rest of the forum. Appreciate it greatly. People in various occupations are throwing around the "part-timer" comments with a venom, I agree that it is sometimes justified, but it has become a trigger word that doesn't go over well.

Minnesota is currently unlicensed, but I expect that this will change when they see another opportunity to collect more of my money. As far as training and materials; I plan on getting the most extensive, and what looks like the best training I can get. Tools, I already own most everything I will need to start, need a good moisture meter. Minnesota requires 500 hours of experience to inspect for asbestos, much of which I already have. My current job in the gas utility business, involves me interfacing with the local officials and building inspectors, we often hold inter-office training and keep each other apprised of conditions in rental properties.

What I am seeing right now that you and I will both find irritating is that out of a dozen local realtors, they are hiring only 1 guy for serious inspections and a couple of others when they need something slipped by.

BTW, talked to my son's father-in-law at dinner tonight, he's one of the local loan officers at one of the banks. He says that business is beginning to perk up in the home sales loan department. My wife works for a local C21 and says the same thing, people are comming back. (slowly)

Back to training for the certification testing. . . if i'm not comfortable with my knowledge level when it's time, I won't procede until I think that I am.

Let me ask you this, how many inspection could your wife send you in a year realistically or maybe from your son in law who does loans?

rick

Harry Settle Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Hurst View Post
    Let me ask you this, how many inspection could your wife send you in a year realistically or maybe from your son in law who does loans?

rick
    It's just another piece of marketing.

Harry Settle Guest

Harry: It seems that you took my comments written to Golf Boy to heart. So then, let us get this straight. Part-time inspectors, like part-time any other kinds of professionals, are not up to par (pardon the golf terminology; stupid game - I don't play it). But then, many folks do things on a part-time basis. So what? No big deal. It only becomes a big deal when you are a total schmuck like Daniel and regularly shoot off at the mouth about how you work one day and play golf for the next six days.

What this indicates is that Golf Boy: (1) Can get by on $350 per week income; (2) Lives in his Datsun; (3) Plays golf at the public courses; (4) Is not instilling much confidence in our profession in the eyes of the people he meets or the non-professionals who visit this forum; (5) Is ripping off whatever little clientèle he has developed on his 34.7 year climb to competency.

So then, if the 5 items above sound familiar to you, and the shoe fits, wear it. If not, do not "jump to conclusions" by assuming that I think one way or another about your part-time schleppings around. Do whatever you like in your part-time world. I am not there, so I do not care.

1. I take words seriously because they mean things.

2. Communicating on the internet is terrible, words don't always come out as intended.

3. The attitude is still in your message. "Part time schlepping around" You assume that part-time means less quality. I agree that some who come into things with no knowledge hurt the industry, but what about those that come in with a lot of knowledge and are just slowing down?? The words part-timer are almost always used in the bottom up context, as it appears you have written. When used this way it "always" appears that you fear for your bottom dollar.

4. Can you still get a Datsun?

I haven't had a part-time job since I was 16. The other two took up the rest of my life, so far.

But thanks for the reply, look forward to getting more info from you in the future.

Last edited by Harry Settle; 04-04-2009 at 06:21 AM.

Harry Settle Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Hurst View Post
    You and about 10K other people probably had the same idea. I wouldn't call it a epiphany.

Guy called me this morning wanting information on how to be a home inspector. I asked him what qualifications or experience he had. He said, "I've lived in a Home for years."

Rick
    I missed this earlier Rick. . . I think I know this guy!

Sadly I am sure that too many people think you just do a walk through and look for missing walls and stuff. How many times do you have to explain your cost analysis to people for just doing a "walk-through?"

Harry Settle Guest

Short note to all that have replied, so far:

I got a little jacked-up due to the perceived attitude and the term "Part-timer" being thrown at me. I am cooling off, a little, now and plan to try and enjoy my experience here. I think that you will find that I can stand on my own in most areas of Home Inspection.

I look forward to interacting with you all more in the future.

Thanks

A.D. Miller Guest

1. I take words seriously because they mean things.
    Harry: Agreed. And, when a comment is directed specifically at another person, that means that you are not being addressed. This was the case, in the beginning, until you decided that you wanted a piece of the part-time guilt.

2. Communicating on the internet is terrible, words don't always come out as intended.
    Harry: Agreed. There are no facial expressions or gestures to read.

3. The attitude is still in your message. "Part time schlepping around" You assume that part-time means less quality. I agree that some who come into things with no knowledge hurt the industry, but what about those that come in with a lot of knowledge and are just slowing down?? The words part-timer are almost always used in the bottom up context, as it appears you have written. When used this way it "always" appears that you fear for your bottom dollar.
    Harry: I do not need to assume that part-time means less quality. It just does. That is why I don' visit the same part-time doctors, lawyers, and CPAs that you do.

4. Can you still get a Datsun?
    Harry: Call JP. I think he has a couple of them.

I haven't had a part-time job since I was 16. The other two took up the rest of my life, so far.
    Harry: Was one of those argumentation?

Welcome, no matter what you think I said, or to whom.

I'm a part timer.

I don't agree that one has to do at least 300 inspections a year to be a decent inspector. I totally disagree.

I will say that the idea to become a home inspector was a great deal easier than the reality of actually doing it.

A.D. Miller Guest

I'm a part timer.
    John: I'm really proud of you.

I don't agree that one has to do at least 300 inspections a year to be a decent inspector. I totally disagree.
    John: Since you don't then, why of course, you would.

I will say that the idea to become a home inspector was a great deal easier than the reality of actually doing it.
    John: Now, on that, we can agree.

Harry Settle Guest

Harry: Agreed. And, when a comment is directed specifically at another person, that means that you are not being addressed. This was the case, in the beginning, until you decided that you wanted a piece of the part-time guilt.

Harry: Agreed. There are no facial expressions or gestures to read.

Harry: I do not need to assume that part-time means less quality. It just does. That is why I don' visit the same part-time doctors, lawyers, and CPAs that you do.

Harry: Call JP. I think he has a couple of them.

Harry: Was one of those argumentation?

Welcome, no matter what you think I said, or to whom.

Not argumentation, it was learning not to get into a war of the minds with an unarmed person. I think we should back off so that the moderators don't get pissed at us. See you around the watercooler.

Harry, you mentioned taking prisoners out on a golf course, were you a CO before working for the gas company?

Harry Settle Guest

Quote Originally Posted by David O'Keefe View Post
    Harry, you mentioned taking prisoners out on a golf course, were you a CO before working for the gas company?
    Had to run some brig-rats around once in a while when still in the Navy.

Bob Spermo Guest

Harry,

There is nothing wrong with being a "part-time" inspector. I knew plenty of "part time" fighter pilots in the Air National Guard that could fly much better than their full time active duty counterparts! Be sure you get excellent training, buy the correct tools, go out on inspections with an experienced inspector and study your market. Most inspectors get the majority of their work from past clients who pass on their name not from realtors. This takes 2 - 4 years to develope. Good luck!

Ted Menelly Guest

almost.

I have been inspecting for many long years. I moved to Texas pushing 5 years ago. It was literally like starting all over again in a new career. My forth year as in last August to the August before that I finally had a pretty darn good year and then the world went slightly in the crapper. What worked before this last August seem to turn around an does not work now. Bust slow. Busy slow. Slow, slower almost nothing, busy and now a little slow again.

In a way I envy you that you do not have to rely on a particular income because it appears you have a retirement in your pocket.

I think what some are conveying to you about the part time thing is......Hey, the world has temporarily slowed to a crawl and we schlep full timers that depend on this completely to make a living are scraping a little at the moment. To be quite honest with you the inspectors (in most areas) that are still doing a fairly steady flow of inspections have been around for the better part of ten years or more. It takes a long time to establish a large enough base to keep the flow going. Most of my folks I have inspected for since I moved here are still in there homes and with the market slowing the referrals from them are at a trickle.

Take your punches while they are coming. You sound like a fairly intelligent man and I am sure you will do what you can to better your knowledge in the profession. While doing so remember there are a lot of folks that this is there life, not a part time job.

As far as the three hundred a year, the rate I am going so far this year if it does not change will be much less than that.

So a minimum of 300 inspections a year is your benchmark for a decent inspector, Mr. Miller. You seem to have a solid assessment of this number. What would be your maximum number of inspections a year for a "decent" inspector. 400? 500? More?

I don't ever plan on doing 300 inspections a year. If you are doing that many inspections a year, you should raise your price and work less for the same money. A little time on the golf course, ski hill or fishing boat can be good for your attitude. But, if you enjoy work that much, more power to you.

Part time is no big deal. I'll probably do the same thing in my later years, depending on my health. I don't like it when someone with a retirement package that I'll never see as a self employed person undercuts me on price as part of their marketing.

Jim Robinson
    New Mexico, USA

Steven Meyer Guest

Some of you really have your tighty whites in a knot concerning "part timers"!!!

Think those of you that have this attitude are just just jealous that you are not also able to do so. Maybe you should have spent less and invested more for your retirement.

After 30 years as a general contractor AND home inspector, I now work part time, to supplement my retirement income (don't want to out live your money), and also have something to do & (to pay those outragious golf fees)!

You seem to feel that "part timers" will undercut your pricing just because they have other income. You are sooooo wrong. Why would I take less today than I did yesterday? Makes no sense. The beauty of part time is I can pick and choose, and if I lose a inspection, big deal, I am not that desperate like some of you seem be.

Even Doctors, Dentists, Lawyers, and many other professionals, reduce their office hours as they get to retirement age, and work "part time" Does that make them any less qualified because they do so?

Get a life, worry about the competition from the thousands that are entering the HI business full time, they are the next generation of your competitors, NOT the part timers.

We will see what your opinion of "part timers" when you get to the point of wanting to cut back and take more time off to enjoy life, but then, judging from your current concerns, you have probabl;y not saved for that day!

Pathetic

A.D. Miller Guest

I don't ever plan on doing 300 inspections a year.
    Jim: Good for you.

If you are doing that many inspections a year, you should raise your price and work less for the same money.
    Jim: That's a Mike Crowism. Raising one's prices is a business decision. If one wants business in my current market, raising one's prices would be tantamount to professional suicide. Keep going to those seminars where the speakers are preaching price raising while all the while working for peanuts in order to quash their competition. Or, like Mike Crow, they have "graduated" into fleecing the uninitiated and the gullible.

A little time on the golf course, ski hill or fishing boat can be good for your attitude. But, if you enjoy work that much, more power to you.
    Jim: I do enjoy my work. I also enjoy a couple of vacations per year.

Part time is no big deal. I'll probably do the same thing in my later years, depending on my health. I don't like it when someone with a retirement package that I'll never see as a self employed person undercuts me on price as part of their marketing.
    Jim: My definition of the term "part-time" describes a job that someone performs for wages while simultaneously performing another job for pay. Inspectors who enter the profession in this manner do not become proficient due to their lack of ability to focus on one job at a time. If they were competent in their original or main profession, what on earth would posses them to start another? If they weren't, I had rather not see them drag their incompetent asses into my profession.

Gradually decreasing the number of inspections one performs after years of full-time work in any profession does not constitute "part-time" in my way of thinking. It is just all the time you are willing to devote to your work.

The whiners on this forum who would prefer not to take that long look into the mirror and admit their lack of ability will cry every time the subject comes up. That makes me happy. Schadenfreude is the correct term for that particular indulgence.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Meyer View Post
    Some of you really have your tighty whites in a knot concerning "part timers"!!!

Think those of you that have this attitude are just just jealous that you are not also able to do so. Maybe you should have spent less and invested more for your retirement.

After 30 years as a general contractor AND home inspector, I now work part time, to supplement my retirement income (don't want to out live your money), and also have something to do & (to pay those outragious golf fees)!

You seem to feel that "part timers" will undercut your pricing just because they have other income. You are sooooo wrong. Why would I take less today than I did yesterday? Makes no sense. The beauty of part time is I can pick and choose, and if I lose a inspection, big deal, I am not that desperate like some of you seem be.

Get a life, worry about the competition from the thousands that are entering the HI business full time, they are the next generation of your competitors, NOT the part timers.

We will see what your opinion of "part timers" when you get to the point of wanting to cut back and take more time off to enjoy life, but then, judging from your current concerns, you have probabl;y not saved for that day!

Pathetic
    Meyers. How many inspections have you done?
    Last I heard you were ticked off that your state was going to require you to prove that you know something about the HI profession, and you were ticked off that you were required to take HI courses to perform inspections in your state.

OBTW: I understand, washed up has been builders, that turn to wantabe home inspectors are very welcome at walmart, as part time front door greaters, and cart chasers

Last edited by Dan Harris; 04-05-2009 at 05:48 PM.

Dan, I think the professional term is "cart wranglers".

Jim Robinson
    New Mexico, USA

Gradually decreasing the number of inspections one performs after years of full-time work in any profession does not constitute "part-time" in my way of thinking.

Not even always that.

I reduced the number of inspection I did each year over the last 8-10 years I was in business before I retired, my average number of inspections dropped to below 100-150 for the last 3-5 years, and to less than 70 the last couple of years.

Not because I was cutting back on inspections, but because I was spending more and more and more time on inspections, and instead of doing 2-3 inspections a day, I was spending 2-3 days on an inspection.

You've got you open your eyes up to whatever niche market you want to create.

Instead of doing 2 $500 inspections per day, I was doing 1 $2,500-$3,000 inspection over 2 days.

Which inspection business model gave the most liability?

4 houses in 2 days or 1 house in 2 days?

I only had 1 roof to inspect, 1 structure, probably 4 a/c systems average, 1-2 water heaters, 1 pool, 1 attic, etc., and I had time to actually spend time inspecting, looking, and documenting. And that was my average, I had many houses which were 3-4-5 or more days, with a couple 7-8 day inspections.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post

4 houses in 2 days or 1 house in 2 days?

I only had 1 roof to inspect, 1 structure, probably 4 a/c systems average, 1-2 water heaters, 1 pool, 1 attic, etc., and I had time to actually spend time inspecting, looking, and documenting. And that was my average, I had many houses which were 3-4-5 or more days, with a couple 7-8 day inspections.
    I look at it as a toss up.
    Miss, or have the customer think you missed one major item, I'm thinking the customer with unliminted $s will often spend the money on an attorney first, opposed to trying to work it out, since most attorneys require a large retainer before taking a case.

A.D. Miller Guest

You've got you open your eyes up to whatever niche market you want to create.
    JP: Agreed. However, when times are tough, the tough work out of niche.

JP: Obviously, strictly statistically speaking, the more inspections one does the greater the liability window. Having said that, the more inspections one does, the more client contacts one makes, and the mor referrals on receives.

A.D. Miller Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Robinson View Post
    Dan, I think the professional term is "cart wranglers".
    Jim: Hobby horse wranglers. All hat and no cattle.

A.D. Miller Guest

Not argumentation, it was learning not to get into a war of the minds with an unarmed person. I think we should back off so that the moderators don't get pissed at us. See you around the watercooler.
    Harry: So then, arm yourself.

Saddle up that hobby horse, ride on down to the links, pull out your shootin' iron and blast away at those nasty little holes in the ground.

Don't worry about the Hann and his Foo Dogs (the moderators). This is not that other, PC and Polite Forum for Tyro Inspector Tea Sippers.

JP: Obviously, strictly statistically speaking, the more inspections one does the greater the liability window. Having said that, the more inspections one does, the more client contacts one makes, and the mor referrals on receives.

I was well aware of that, however, in that high end market, all you need is one good talker referral at the country club and you are in with everyone.

In one large high end subdivision I started out with an inspection for a past client from another subdivision, he referred me to a couple of others, one of which turned out to be the "good talker referral at the country club" and I spent 3 years inspection homes in that subdivision of $750k-$3mil homes, even picked up a couple of builders who had me do quality control inspections for them. Those were my "cheap starter homes" .

Last edited by Jerry Peck; 04-06-2009 at 10:13 AM. Reason: speelin'
    Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Steven Meyer Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Harris View Post
    Meyers. How many inspections have you done?
    Last I heard you were ticked off that your state was going to require you to prove that you know something about the HI profession, and you were ticked off that you were required to take HI courses to perform inspections in your state.

OBTW: I understand, washed up has been builders, that turn to wantabe home inspectors are very welcome at walmart, as part time front door greaters, and cart chasers
    HORSES' ASS

Was that you I saw at Wal Mart??? Saw that you were having a little trouble with that cart, but then it was full of alumnium cans. Must be your weekend job, so how much did you get at the recycling center???

Washed up contractor, not quite, business down (as it is for everyone) but steady.

Have done inspections since the early 80's, and it has never been my core business.

I have no problem with complying with the new washington licensing BS. I SIMPLY DO NOT LIKE THE INTRUSION OF GOVERNMENT IN MY BUSINESS OR LIFE. Unlike you, I count on myself to generate business, not the government to limit entry into a vocation/job/profession, to limit competition, just to "gurantee" me my fair share of the pie. It is sad to see that you need government intrusion (limiting supply) as a part of your marketing plan.
    It is obvious that you rely on government to limit competition, thus enhancing your chance of getting an inspection!.

Quit giving Wal Mart a bad name, we all know you shop at the Salvation Army thrift store.

What are they getting per pound at the recycling center in your area? Maybe you can get the government to limit competition in that endevor, wouldn't want any newbees to enter the equation. I can just see it now, STATE PASSES LICENSING LAW FOR DUMPSTER DIVERS!!!!

A.D. Miller Guest

I was well aware of that, however, in that high end market, all you need is one good talker referral at the country club and you are in with everyone.
    JP: Schmoozologist.

Don't worry about the Hann and his Foo Dogs (the moderators). ..
    What moderators? All this time I've been moderated and didn't know it?!

"There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com

A.D. Miller Guest

John: The Hann is pure California: liberal moderator.

John: The Hann is pure California: liberal moderator.

John,

Not to worry, Aaron got up on the wrong side of his crack pipe this morning.

Brian does not moderate this board, however, as the administrator and the owner of this board, he does step in an let people know when they have crossed the line in the sand and, if that keeps happening, he does, therefore, retain the power to banish those who are unwilling, or unable, to control themselves within the VERY BROAD acceptability allowances Brian gives us.

Those VERY BROAD acceptability allowances are what has made this board so popular and so successful.

This board does not have the rigid control freakishness of another board when if one sips their tea too loudly they will be glared at into submission, nor does this board have the freeforall fighting which goes on in another board. Brian has a successful formula, therefore it success. Occasionally a bully comes in and tries to control the board and make it like he wants it, demanding that Brian banish others, even suggesting to other members that they complain with the report button other posts while ignoring his own posts which are worse, but, eventually, that other should tone down some and then become a contributor to this board.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

A.D. Miller Guest

Aaron got up on the wrong side of his crack pipe this morning.
    JP: I am still looking for the right side of this damned thing. It did not come with instructions.

This board does not have the rigid control freakishness of another board when if one sips their tea too loudly they will be glared at into submission
    JP: Nice touch there.

even suggesting to other members that they . . . should tone down some and then become a contributor to this board.
    JP: I would never.

Debra Monte Guest

Congrats on your retirement. Yes, you can become an inspector if you still want to work, but for yourself. I retired last year from the Fire Department of NY and went back to school and became a licensed home inspector. I started my own business recently, marketing myself and inspections are now picking up.