Default How far do you go?

House is in an area where the standard setback is between 8 and 10 feet.
    And yes I know we are not zoning or code officials.
    But we are familiar with the local standards.
    As you are walking behind the home you realize that the home has been extended out to sit directly on the property line.
    Looks like what was an added shed at the rear has now turned into the rear half of the kitchen.
    What do you say to your clients?

OREP Insurance

Default Re: How far do you go?

Quote Originally Posted by wayne soper View Post
    House is in an area where the standard setback is between 8 and 10 feet.
    And yes I know we are not zoning or code officials.
    But we are familiar with the local standards.
    As you are walking behind the home you realize that the home has been extended out to sit directly on the property line.
    Looks like what was an added shed at the rear has now turned into the rear half of the kitchen.
    What do you say to your clients?

Just what you said, and add that they need to check with the building department for permits, inspections, CO, whether or not it needs to be torn down or if a variance can be obtained.

It is 'most likely' going to cost someone a whole bunch of time, effort and money to correct that (meaning 'including getting it approved by variance') and all of that *needs to be done before your client buys it* ... or not ... their choice ... but you are telling them that in a no holds barred manner and telling that that if they get caught with it like that or go to sell and it is brought up - *YOU MADE THEM AWARE OF IT*, heck, I'd even consider getting them to sign or initial the report at a section like that, otherwise their attorney will say 'You should have made sure they understood what you were saying and not just have hidden it in your report.' You can respond 'No sir, I've got it signed, sealed and delivered and they signed off on the 'I don't care' line right there. So here is a baggie of sand I carry around with me to give to attorneys like you.'

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Steve Miskinis Guest

That is an item that needs additional investigation by a proper technician being the local building depertment, put it in the summary, or go and check for the permit yourself to cover you.

Thanks guys, My base rule is do whatever it takes to protect my client. Nice to know we are on the same page.
    Wayne Soper