Ryan Busch Guest

Default outlet above h2o ???

OREP Insurance

Default Re: outlet above h2o ???

I don't think there's a problem there. It's better above the water source than below it. As it is, if a leak developes the water will drain down away from the receptacle.

If it were close by anywhere below the water source, theres always a chance that water could trickle down the cord and into the receptacle.

archivoyeur Guest

How about GFI?
    Personally, I hate mixing water and electricity. I can't even use my jet tub without a nice bottle of wine first...

"Laundry and wet bars. GFCI protection is required for receptacles located within 6 feet of a laundry, utility room, or wet bar sink [210.8(A)(7), 210.52(F)]. There are no exceptions to this rule, so even a receptacle for a clothes washer must be GFCI protected if it is within 6 feet of the sink"

Branch Circuits - Applying GFCIs and AFCIs

Fred Warner Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Busch View Post
    I do not think this is ok looking for info?

http://www.inspectionnews.net/home_i...1&d=1238888761
    The installation you have pictured looks OK to me. (Assuming all other code provisions are met.)

Quote Originally Posted by archivoyeur View Post
    "Laundry and wet bars. GFCI protection is required for receptacles located within 6 feet of a laundry, utility room, or wet bar sink [210.8(A)(7), 210.52(F)]. There are no exceptions to this rule, so even a receptacle for a clothes washer must be GFCI protected if it is within 6 feet of the sink"
    That is not required to be GFCI protected unless there is a sink within 6 feet, and if that receptacle is changed out to a single receptacle for laundry uses, then GFCI protection would not be required anyway.

Which is not saying that GFCI is not allowed or not a good thing to install, just that GFCI is not 'required' - that said, though, I have always recommend installing GFCI protection when water is nearby.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Warner View Post
    The installation you have pictured looks OK to me. (Assuming all other code provisions are met.)
    I agree with Fred, as long a "looks OK" means "meets minimum code", installing GFCI protection would definitely make it 'look okay'.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Assuming that is not within 6' of a sink, in an unfinished basement, or garage it is ok as per the most recent nec code.

In the 2008 NEC all 15 and 20 amp receptacles in unfinished basements,bathrooms, garages,outdoors, crawl spaces, kitchen counter tops and anything within 6' of a sink or wet bar.
    The provision for using a single outlet in place of a GFCI has been eliminated from The 2008 NEC.

Last edited by ken horak; 04-05-2009 at 06:54 AM. Reason: correct spelling