Thread: Drip edge

Default Drip edge

How would you write this up. I think the roofer thought that a fascia was to be installed on this open rafter end designed house. The shingles are drooping in areas.
    Wayne

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Drip edge

I would just tell them that they used the wrong flashing, but that flashing is not required at that location anyway's (some may disagree). Also, once they install a proper gutter system, it may help lift the shingles slightly.

Overall, I doubt that this installation will cause any problems, and it is better than inadequate overlap.

The flashing is the right one, but the installation does not allow the bottom edge to rest on anything allowing shingle droop.

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by wayne soper View Post
    The flashing is the right one, but the installation does not allow the bottom edge to rest on anything allowing shingle droop.
    Just write that the installation is improper and one partial fix would be to add that fascia. One high wind and there will be quite a bit of damage as it is now.

Yes, Thats what I recommended. Thanks Ted.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Menelly View Post
    One high wind and ...

That will not even take a "high wind" to do damage and peel the roof shingles back, that only needs one "low blow" for that to happen.

Ted is correct, just state it is a very incorrect installation.

Wayne,

Question for you: What is the required ... yes, required ... nailing for roof sheathing in your area?

I ask because most areas require that edge to be nailed at a spacing which would not allow "open rafter" designs.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

A.D. Miller Guest

Quote Originally Posted by wayne soper View Post
    How would you write this up. I think the roofer thought that a fascia was to be installed on this open rafter end designed house. The shingles are drooping in areas.
    Wayne
    Wayne: Send these as well.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Thanks AD,
    I can use those in the future. He's got bigger fish to fry at the moment with what was in the rest of the report.

That's what I get for posting that early in the morning.....

It's noy you Brandon, It's the DONKEY!