Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

Default Career Day at My Son's School

Our 5 year old son is in Kindergarten this year and I volunteered to speak at his school's career day this past Friday. If any of you have the opportunity to do something like this, I would recommend it. But I have to admit I was struggling to come up with the verbiage to use in explaining what I do that would not be confusing to the 5 and 7 year olds I spoke to.

I brought in transparencies of some pictures I thought they would get a kick out of and I brought in a lot of the toys-of-the-trade we use every day in our jobs. They really liked the telescopic ladder, mositure meter, and laser thermometer. I had 20 minutes per session for three sessions and didn't have enough time to get through anywhere close to everything during each session because I underestimated the kids' ability to talk at will and steer things off track. But all in all, it was a great experience.

Similar Threads:
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: Career Day at My Son's School

Nick,

I did one of these a few years back at an elementary school and I didn't even have kiddo's there.

One of my clients asked if mind doing it.

Like you said its hard explaining the HI inspection process to 6-7 yr. olds.

Things changed when I pulled out the laser thermometer though. The conversation then switched over to they wanted to know what I thought if that "red light" had hit a dinosaur in the eye.

It was all downhill from there.

rick

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Hurst View Post
    Things changed when I pulled out the laser thermometer though. The conversation then switched over to they wanted to know what I thought if that "red light" had hit a dinosaur in the eye.

It was all downhill from there.

rick
    I can hear them saying something like that Rick. One kid kept asking me if something could blow up when I was showing them the overhead transparencies.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Hurst View Post
    The conversation then switched over to they wanted to know what I thought if that "red light" had hit a dinosaur in the eye.

Many years ago (early 60’s) I did that sort of presentation at the request of my daughter’s teacher and it was when we were living in a very affluent area. When I explained to my daughter’s fourth grade class that the bank owned their houses, not their father they thought I was the second coming of Lucifer. Poor little tikes couldn't get their minds around what a home mortgage was. (but I’m sure they do by now!)

Jerry McCarthy
    Building Code/ Construction Consultant

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Ostrowski View Post
    Our 5 year old son is in Kindergarten this year and I volunteered to speak at his school's career day this past Friday. If any of you have the opportunity to do something like this, I would recommend it. But I have to admit I was struggling to come up with the verbiage to use in explaining what I do that would not be confusing to the 5 and 7 year olds I spoke to.

I brought in transparencies of some pictures I thought they would get a kick out of and I brought in a lot of the toys-of-the-trade we use every day in our jobs. They really liked the telescopic ladder, mositure meter, and laser thermometer. I had 20 minutes per session for three sessions and didn't have enough time to get through anywhere close to everything during each session because I underestimated the kids' ability to talk at will and steer things off track. But all in all, it was a great experience.

And you have had a kid for five years ???????? Never underestimate the little guys.