Post Single strand aluminum wiring

I am familiar with the problems and hazards associated with single strand branch circuit aluminum wiring. Today's inspection had 2 circuits on single strand aluminum. Both circuits 230 volt on 30 amp breakers. One was for the water heater and one was for the electric furnace. All connections look good and these are single item circuits. I know that they allow stranded aluminum wire to be used for high voltage single item circuits, but I am not sure about this.

Similar Threads:
    Crawl Space Creeper

Richard Moore Guest

Default Re: Single strand aluminum wiring

What size were the conductors? I ask because they would need to be #8 and I don't believe that's very common (could be wrong there). Are you sure it wasn't tinned copper? Got photos, especially close-ups of the wires at the panel?

Yes they were #8 gauge wire and no they were not tin dipped. I see tin dipped wire on a regular basis. This was a 1979 built home.

They should have, I think, antioxidant paste on panel connections. I would call for a checkup by a qualified electrician. There's potential for a hot spot for sure with 30 amps!

Richard Moore Guest

OK. In that case, I've got nothing. 1979 should be one of the "newer" alloys but I really don't know if it would be OK or not. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Trent Tarter View Post
    Yes they were #8 gauge wire and no they were not tin dipped. I see tin dipped wire on a regular basis. This was a 1979 built home.

From the 1996 NEC (as far back as I have on my computer, I could go back further in books). (underlining is mine)
    - 310-3. Stranded Conductors.
    - - Where installed in raceways, conductors of size No. 8 and larger shall be stranded.
    - - - Exception: As permitted or required elsewhere in this Code.

Are those in a raceway?

- 310-14. Aluminum Conductor Material.
    - - Solid aluminum conductors No. 8, 10, and 12 shall be made of an AA-8000 series electrical grade aluminum alloy conductor material. Stranded aluminum conductors No. 8 through 1000 kcmil marked as Type XHHW, THW, THHW, THWN, THHN, service-entrance Type SE Style U and SE Style R shall be made of an AA-8000 series electrical grade aluminum alloy conductor material.

Both solid and stranded were allowed for #8 AWG.

To my knowledge, anti-oxidant paste was never "required" just always "good practice".

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

I believe that question was asked before on this board. Point being I think it was allowed for the type of installation you are talking about because it's a "home run". One being at the breaker and one at the appliance, nothing between. At least that's how I remembered it.

Mike Schulz License 393
    Affordable Home Inspections
    www.houseinspections.com