Jon mackay Guest

Default Vertically mounted 2' x 4' fluorescent light

Is there any restriction to mounting a 2' x 4' fluorescent fixture vertically and recessed in the wall?

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Vertically mounted 2' x 4' fluorescent light

Sometimes, yes.

But you would need to have the manufacturer's installation instructions and listing information to know.

I have called some out (with plastic lens hanging on them incorrectly because the fixtures were mounted on the wall) and the electrician and everyone said they were not a problem, I said "prove it, where are the installation instructions".

After about 30-50 were installed, the plastic started melting because they were not designed to be installed that way and the heat dissipation was not as intended, so the electrician finally go the installation instructions and, not, they were not allowed to be installed that way.

The ballasts create a lot of heat, which much be dissipated, and their design is to account for the ballast's location and position to allow for dissipating that heat.

However, ... some are allowed to be installed as shown ... but - what I'm wondering is, with that install horizontally like that, if that wall was not built out for it, then were the studs cut and notched for it? And is insulation up against the back of it? That looks like a 2x4 layin type and, no, those types are not designed or intended to be mounted like that, they are, as the name says, designed to be laid in metal ceiling system grids and supported from above.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Jon mackay Guest

Default Re: Vertically mounted 2' x 4' fluorescent light

Thank you Jerry, very useful information.