Default I like the ride home

I was looking forward to the ride home today. A bit of evrything.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral

Ted Menelly Guest

Default Re: I like the ride home

Is Vancouver Island big enough to have a North and South as well as an East and West Vancouver Island??

Just kidding. They actually have houses out there?? Seriously, just kidding.

Please tell me that is not you norm home inspection.

Nice truck!! as for the rest. Hillbilly comes to mind. I guess they migrate.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Menelly View Post
    Is Vancouver Island big enough to have a North and South as well as an East and West Vancouver Island??

Just kidding. They actually have houses out there?? Seriously, just kidding.

Please tell me that is not you norm home inspection.
    Ted, the North Island is a 3 hour drive for me, thus I confine myself to the South. The highway runs up the inhabited East coast, to cover the West you'd need a fishboat or a chopper, and I'd have to charge for travel @$900/hr.

About the house, no, we have nicer crawls with concrete floors and heat, slabs or basements just like the other civilized nations. I wanted to share my funnys from this place, hey, we got termites too. My clients learned something we already know - All that glitters is not Gold.

I estimate 25G spent on facelift, new windows, doors, electrical, new kitchen, 2 completely new baths, new laminates and tiles, SS appliances. New roof, stucco, perimeter drains, new back deck, "easy to show".

For the ride home, the little giant hangs on clamps under the frame.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Mike Truss Guy Guest

Lightbulb Re: I like the ride home

Quote Originally Posted by John Kogel View Post
    I was looking forward to the ride home today. A bit of evrything.
    What are people's opinions on using concrete blocks on their sides as intermediate beam support pillars? Something does not seem right about that. The bearing capacity of a block on it's side can't be much - I'm thinking maybe 1/4 of the capacity of a block put in vertically.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Truss Guy View Post
    What are people's opinions on using concrete blocks on their sides as intermediate beam support pillars? Something does not seem right about that. The bearing capacity of a block on it's side can't be much - I'm thinking maybe 1/4 of the capacity of a block put in vertically.
    We see this all the time, especially under mobile homes. A block on it's side won't sink into the mud the way a block right side up will. So to be correct, there needs to be a concrete pad first, and that's too much like work. Has anyone seen a sideways block fail from the load?

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by John Kogel View Post
    We see this all the time, especially under mobile homes. A block on it's side won't sink into the mud the way a block right side up will. So to be correct, there needs to be a concrete pad first, and that's too much like work. Has anyone seen a sideways block fail from the load?
    Yes I have, and plenty. They do not even give the blocks ratings for load on there side. They are quite simply not designed to carry the loads on their sides.

In saying that you can see that those blocks have been there for a while and are still doing their job. But also in saying that it is like seriously bad wiring in a fifty year old home where the house has not burned down yet. It could have burned the first week or in the 51rst year.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Truss Guy View Post
    Opinion: VERY BAD.

Solution: Remove and replace with proper FOOTING (not just a concrete pad) at the proper depth (below frost line), then replace with new concrete block laid up properly with mortar, then fill cells to provide proper bearing for framing above.

Yes, I have seen them fail too.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com