Post Pex on ground in crawlspace

I know it's common sense to adequately support water supply pipes in the crawlspace. My question is does code allow the main water supply to be routed on the ground. The main water supply is Pex and it's laying on the ground for about 20 feet. Also is it code that all water supply pipes be insulated.

Similar Threads:
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: Pex on ground in crawlspace

Quote Originally Posted by Trent Tarter View Post
    My question is does code allow the main water supply to be routed on the ground. The main water supply is Pex and it's laying on the ground for about 20 feet. Also is it code that all water supply pipes be insulated.

Not where you are at in Washington State, needs to be 6" below the frost line. Any and all parts above that are required to be protected from freezing by insulation, heat tape, or both.

From the 2006 IRC. (underlining is mine)
    P2603.6 Freezing.
    In localities having a winter design temperature of 32°F (0°C) or lower as shown in Table R301.2(1) of this code, a water, soil or waste pipe shall not be installed outside of a building, in exterior walls, in attics or crawl spaces, or in any other place subjected to freezing temperature unless adequate provision is made to protect it from freezing by insulation or heat or both. Water service pipe shall be installed not less than 12 inches (305 mm) deep and not less than 6 inches (152 mm) below the frost line.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com