Dave Creighton Guest

Default Help with a FHA Inspection

Hi everyone- I hope there is someone that can help me out with a question. I am looking at purchasing my first home. There is a 3 car detached garage with an apartment above it that will not be used as part of our living quarters. There is some mold in the garage that can be very easily taken care of once I own the house. Does an FHA inspector check the interior of the garage? The house is in great shape and will pass with no problems, but I am worried about the garage. As I said, it is detached from the house. Any help I can recieve would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Help with a FHA Inspection

Yes, he will check the garage and if mold is present you can be assured he's going to call it out.

Saying "The house is in great shape and will pass with no problems" is like putting a curse on the house as most on here will agree. That sounds like Realtor talk.

rick

Ted Menelly Guest

Yes

The biggest thing is that there is a living area in the garage which makes it a living area of the home.

An inspector cannot leave a structure out of his report on a property he inspects if it has electric, water living area, etc etc etc. FHA looking at the report (If they do) sometimes they only want a termite report, will also consider this part of the habitable area of the home. If he is an "FHA Inspector" then FHA is looking at it all.

All I can say is ......Go get some bleach. Wait a minute....I did not say that. I think it was the Blackstone Merlot (one of their first bottles) saying that because I would never say that out loud.

FHA appraisers, much like home inspectors, are often very different in what they comment on. I've seen them walk by massive problems and freak out about a piece of chipped paint off a window sill.

Ultimately, there's no way to say for sure what they'll comment on.

Dave Creighton Guest

Thanks everyone for your input. What I was planning on doing was going over before the inspector comes and rip out the 1 piece of drywall (on the wall) that is effected and replace it along with the insulation behind it. Then spray some bleach around just to make double sure.

Again- thanks to everyone for their replies. That helped out a lot.