Default Flashaholism: The Early Warning Signs

The first step is to admit you have a problem...

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Crawl Space Creeper
    "There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com

Default Re: Flashaholism: The Early Warning Signs

Are you suggesting the flashlights are actually flasks?
    Its like those phony beverage cans (shave cream, Coca Cola) that are actually cans you can hide your money/valuables in.

Quote Originally Posted by John Arnold View Post

John,

When you going to join the Big Boys and stop hiding the rest of them?

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Ted Menelly Guest

He cannot help it he is a closet flashaholic

Michael Larson Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    John,

When you going to join the Big Boys and stop hiding the rest of them?

Jerry,

I'm sure you know that it is not uncommon for flashaholics to under report their actual consumption.

Hi, my name is John, and I'm a flashaholic.....

Oh no! My wife was right......

It would take me a half hour just to find all of my flashes

I have to confess... I have several styles and sizes stuffed in draws, and workbench, toolbox and inspection kit. I particularly like spot lights, the rechargeable type!

I am so hooked I have had to seek medical help, the doctor prescribed a cessation patch which I place on my forearm.

You light up my life.....

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Larson View Post
    Jerry,

I'm sure you know that it is not uncommon for flashaholics to under report their actual consumption.
    Ok, I'll admit I have quite a few other ones stashed around the house. The ones shown are just my everyday "professional" ones that I take with me on the job.

Step #2 - I acknowledge I have no control over my problem and I surrender to a higher (candle)power.

"There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)

I have a problem too. I have 4 mag chargers that I would really like to get rid of, but have a lot invested in them.
    I have picked up a couple smaller ones that are pretty bright, but I just hate replacing batteries.
    I may have to go to a smaller one that uses rechargeable batteries. But then, I will own, yet more flashlights.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Does anybody use the ones that you can put on your head? I don't have on at this point, but there have been times in attics & crawls when I thought it would be nice to be able to use both hands.

Clarksville Home Inspection
    JW Goad
    TN License #307 | KY License #2402

Yes, I have one and well worth having.

Last time I rummaged around the house to collect all my headlamps I could only find 7. I was teaching some skills that evening outside and wanted all the students to have access to a headlight.

I use them while camping. I keep meaning to put one in the tool box for attics and crawls, they just never seem to migrate from the backpack to the work box.

Yes, they would be useful for general lighting and way finding. They may not be bright enough for good detail pictures in a crawl.

I use the 3 LED headlights from Walmart for $12. They have a 6 light as well for a few bucks more. It may be bright enough to use as the only light in a crawl.

"The Code is not a peak to reach but a foundation to build from."

I have a visor light that I use on a ball cap in crawls. I never like only one light since it seems the best rechargeable always goes dead at the least opportune times, like the back side of a dark crawl. Since crawls around here are usually full of cobwebs and such, the ball cap does help keep some of the funk and critters out of your hair, that is if you have any.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Mike Truss Guy Guest

Talking Re: Flashaholism: The Early Warning Signs

Quote Originally Posted by John Arnold View Post
    I also carry a laser pointer for pointing to defects on the ceiling.

Anyway, if you have kids you can never find one with working batteries in the place you left it. And IMO "C" cells are the worst battery choice. A "C" costs the same as a "D" and it just feels like bigger is better. For me it's either AA or D or I don't use it. I retrofitted my Minimags with an LED/push-button switch kit. Now I burn far less AA's. Nice.

Ted Menelly Guest

I have a small LED back up flashlight but I would never go into a crawl without my ultra stinger. You need a serious light in serious places.

From the posted pictures, it seems the problem may be the piece of crap Maglites you are using. When using an inferior product, people always seek better or more.
    Buying 'Streamlight' products should resolve any issues and leave more money available for pastries.

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

Quote Originally Posted by Markus Keller View Post
    From the posted pictures, it seems the problem may be the piece of crap Maglites you are using. When using an inferior product, people always seek better or more.
    Buying 'Streamlight' products should resolve any issues and leave more money available for pastries.
    Yeah, the Maglite is basically for whacking raccoons.
    My current favorite, however, is the smallest one, which is a
    Fenix Flashlight .
    You don't even know it's in your pocket, but it's really bright and has some other tricks up its sleeve. Half price at batteryjunction.com.

Quote Originally Posted by John Goad View Post
    Does anybody use the ones that you can put on your head? I don't have on at this point, but there have been times in attics & crawls when I thought it would be nice to be able to use both hands.
    Yep, couldn't keep it on my head though. Attached it to a bump cap but the bump cap wouldn't stay on my head either. SO, I got a X-sport helmet with an adjustable chin strap, and mounted the light to it. Works great, stays in place, and the helmet can really taking a whacking and keep on ticking. BUT - the helmet and light are so heavy it really takes a lot of neck muscle to keep the old noggin up. Maybe I'll just have to use my natural Halo

The above statements are expressed solely as my opinion and in all probability will conflict with someone else's.
    Stu, Fredericksburg VA

I have to take some issue with Markus's attitude toward maglites. I've had the Magchargers for 15 or 16 years and really the only complaint I have is the weight.
    The light is very bright, I think it's 80K candlepower, pretty mush the same as Streamlights, give or take a little.
    The batteries last forever.
    You can focus the light beam.
    But they are heavy.

To me it's kind of like calling a vintage muscle car a piece of crap because it doesn't have 4 wheel disc brakes.

John, that Fenix looks like a nice light. The Streamlight version is the Scorpion uses the same battery. We have one as a backup.
    Matt, my issue with the Maglite's is that I have never found them to be reliable enough. Right now I still have 4-6 buried in the basement that stopped working. I kept having to buy more to replace the ones that stopped working. I purchased my primary, daily use flashlight, the Streamlight Polystinger in July of 2000. Never had a piece of crap Maglite last more than a few months.
    Of course maybe it's just me.

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC

Matt, my issue with the Maglite's is that I have never found them to be reliable enough. Right now I still have 4-6 buried in the basement that stopped working. I kept having to buy more to replace the ones that stopped working. I purchased my primary, daily use flashlight, the Streamlight Polystinger in July of 2000. Never had a piece of crap Maglite last more than a few months.
    Markus,

The only problems you can really have with them is either the bulb burning out, or the switch failing. The switches seem to fail every couple of years for me. Maglite has a lifetime warranty on their product. All you have to do is drop them off or mail them to a service center for free repairs. Maybe I am lucky as I have an authorized service center nearby. Heck, they've even replaced the bulbs for free when making other repairs. Never been charged for replacing damage that I have caused either (such as broken lenses).

I'll stick with my lowly maglites--- I traded my Ultra Stinger for another Mag...........

"Never had a piece of crap Maglite last more than a few months."
    Markus,I have to guess that maybe you are buying the cheap maglights that use regular batteries, and the the rechargable?
    BUt even so, I have several in my workshop and garage that I have had for 20 + years. I have lost a few when I forgot about them for a year or so, and the batteries leaked.

But I've had those 4 Magchargers for a very long time and outside of a bad switch every few years. they have been a workhorse. I have to say it must be you.

Edward Loughran Guest

At Lowes I got a LED LENSER. Cost about $50.00. Runs on 3 AAA. Side by side it will out shine my 3 D MAGLITE. The lense will focus and does not have that dark center spot. I have used MAGLITE's for years, so I'll see how this new one works.

Dave Gilstrap Guest

I always rely on my trusty polystinger by streamlight. I have the ultra stinger that i use in attics and crawlspaces with a headlight that I got at a REI sports store. I have two mag lights and never use them. I tried a LED light and did not like it so I went back to my poly stinger. I just love it.

Mike Truss Guy Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Markus Keller View Post
    ...piece of crap Maglites you are using...
    Next you'll be trying to tell us that Ford makes better cars...

mike , ford great trucks, crap cars

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC

I have the Wally World LED head light. Batteries last along time. Great for when you are navigating through the crawl space and don't want to use up your spot light. Been in crawls when big light started to get weak that's when I decided to buy the head lamp. Now I carry a mini mag on my side my million rechargeable and head lamp.

I have 3 mini mags, 2 full size mags (never use), 2 rechargeable black and decker pistol type million luminous that are the best for crawls.
    Best part about them is if the battery craps out or I leave it behind (done that several times) or break it they are cheap to replace.

I also wave down planes with them

Mike Schulz License 393
    Affordable Home Inspections
    www.houseinspections.com