imported_John Smith Guest

Default Handyman Plumbing

Thoughts on this installation? Double lavatory. I know its not right, but not sure how to accurately word it.
    First photo is sink at trap, second photo is other sink connected to common trap.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: Handyman Plumbing

Quote Originally Posted by imported_John Smith View Post
    but not sure how to accurately word it.

"Some one came home from the big box store and forgot to buy the trap, but they did have a bunch of extra slip joint fittings they were able to use and get it connected temporarily, then apparently forgot about it being temporary."?

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

imported_John Smith Guest

Sorry Jerry, I didnt give all the info. The first photo, the Ptrap is hidden by the toiletries. The distance in the plumbing from the sink shown on the left is > than 30". My Code Check indicates 30" is the max.

Not sure why they chose to go with all the crappy fittings instead of at least gluing the joints together.

If you have ever saw an older home with chrome steel fittings expertly installed, its a work of art. Unfortunately the artists appear to have thinned out quite a bit.

It really irks me when I use public facilities and some crappy plumber destroys beautiful chrome fittings with a pipe wrench. Wheres the craftsmanship?

I'm not sure that some of those 90 elbows are even quarter bends in the horizontal change in direction, plus, you don't want a tee with the side tap facing down, you want it installed where one flows through it down and the other tees into the side (when installed horizontal like that with the tee down, water can flow across the tee instead of down the drain), also, depending on where you measure the 30" from-to it may or may not apply. Additionally, that 30" is based on the proper 1/4" per foot slope, and that looks to be sloped greater than that, which will reduce the length allowed - depending on where measured to ...

That thing just looks really sloppy and horrible, and lucky to drain properly - if it even does.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

The way them lavatory sinks are plumbed is not correct. Each fixture must be separately trapped except kitchen sinks with up to 3 basins can be installed on a single trap.

Below is from the Illinois Plumbing Code book. Check with your local plumbing codes for clarification.

Section 890.410 Fixture Traps/Continuous Waste

a) Fixture Traps. All directly connected plumbing fixtures, except those having integral traps, shall be separately trapped by a water-seal trap, placed as close to the fixture outlet as possible. A kitchen sink with up to 3 basins may be installed on one trap if one compartment is not more than 6 inches deeper than the other and the waste outlets are not more than 30 inches apart.

Also the p-trap is not installed properly. They turned it around to make up for the length of the drain pipes which is not using a trap per the manufactures design.

Inspector 3500 Guest

That's a PoC installation.

Quote Originally Posted by Inspector 3500 View Post
    That's a PoC installation.
    I have to ask what is a "PoC" installation? I am assuming "Piece of Crap". If so I agree with you 100%

Inspector 3500 Guest

That's what it is..... On my inspection results computer entry thats what I put....if someone from the public ask what it stands for I tell them "piping out of code"....sounds nicer.

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Inspector 3500 View Post
    That's what it is..... On my inspection results computer entry thats what I put....if someone from the public ask what it stands for I tell them "piping out of code"....sounds nicer.

I used POC to a client once in a report and they got just a little pissy about my verbiage. I did tell them it meant Plumbing out of code but it was a piece of crap installation.

He got even a little more bent and I explained to him that it was his thought and my comment was the code remark not piece of crap. The guy got even worse and told me he was a Christian and did not appreciate my language.

Yes, it went back and forth a couple more times and I finally said "yea know what? It was a piece of crap installation and I agree with you in full" and hung up. His wife called me back later and apologized. She was actually chuckling because her husband gets in those situations all the time where he can say what he wishes explaining something but God forbid anyone else does.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Menelly View Post
    The guy got even worse and told me he was a Christian and did not appreciate my language.

His wife called me back later and apologized. She was actually chuckling because her husband gets in those situations all the time where he can say what he wishes explaining something but God forbid anyone else does.

Ted,

I was listening to a story on NPR this evening which made me think of something like that: Here we are in a country which preaches tolerance, yet the very ones who beat their chests about "being Christian" are the very ones who show THE LEAST tolerance for others who are unlike themselves.

Yesterday there was a piece in the paper about Iowa and the court saying it was unconstitutional to discriminate against people wanting to marry each if they are the same sex, then this big Christian preacher comes in and demands that all the people take those judges down and that the legislature make a law that only people like himself can marry ... oh, wait, only people of the opposite sex can marry, because that is what he believes in - not even considering that this country protects not only HIS RIGHTS to think that but the rights of the others to get married ... BUT ONLY HE is right, because, well, because HE IS A CHRISTIAN ... if only he would hold a mirror up and look at himself while he is having his clandestine sexual relationship with that other man ...

That type of crap happens all the time, over and over again, time after time ... and they just do not get it.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Ever watch the music video by Genesis called "Jesus, He Knows Me?"

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Kriegh View Post
    Ever watch the music video by Genesis called "Jesus, He Knows Me?"

No, but I saw the one with his brothers Juan, Julio, and Jorge, along with his sister Juanita.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

VICTOR DIMODICA Guest

Two sinks in a vanity require a 2" vertical waste stack.(MA.code). Each sink should have it's own trap and can be 1-1/2" and 5' from the vent. They should have put a wye at the wall or double tye with a cleanout. What a mess..The home store manuals must have showed them how to do it. When it leaks does the insurance pay.