Thread: Chinese Drywall

Stephen Meyer Guest

Default Chinese Drywall

There was some discussion on this earlier, however it was in the local news.

steve

Similar Threads:
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: Chinese Drywall

I have an asian friend that has imported some commercial equipment from China.

He says that no way could some drywall installing company or builder arrange to have any of that delivered here. The quanities required are astronomical and that very likely leaves only the drywall manufactures here with the means to order up that much.

This is going to be the biggest disaster in the history of residental building unless they find some way to encapsulate the stuff on the top, bottom and edges. Even then it will cost too much. Hmmm, maybe a bailout is in the works......

It's funny... I just saw this as 'Breaking News' on the Fox News webiste over the weekend... nothing like really being the first to cover a story. I think it was at least 3 months ago I read about it here.

Maybe we could just grind it up and start shooting it at the Somali pirates.

A while back I was contacted about my research on chinese drywall and this link was just sent to me. Tennessee has a coal ash/sludge problem over near Knoxville. You can read about it at this link.
    Natural Health News: TVA Coal Sludge and Health Risks

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Sidney Holmes Guest

Cool Re: Chinese Drywall

China drywall is imported into the country by buyers to make a profit. We have had problem with children toys having lead. Now our construction material is a new problems. Where is the large amount for this china drywal located?

Last edited by Sidney Holmes; 04-16-2009 at 07:24 PM. Reason: not checked

Post Re: Chinese Drywall

Could it be that we are reaping the fruit of our collective greed? What a waste.

Randall Aldering GHI BAOM MSM
    Housesmithe Inspection
    www.housesmithe.com

A charlatan multiple posting the same crap on each thread - DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY of this crap.

(Deleted out quoted post as it has been removed by the Administrator and this post is no longer necessary and I certainly do not want to inadvertently advertise for them.)

Last edited by Jerry Peck; 05-14-2009 at 05:18 PM. Reason: see edit reason in post
    Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Brad Russell Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post
    A while back I was contacted about my research on chinese drywall and this link was just sent to me. Tennessee has a coal ash/sludge problem over near Knoxville. You can read about it at this link.
    Natural Health News: TVA Coal Sludge and Health Risks

We're not 30 miles from that. Really a shame. The volume is something like 40 times what spilled from the Exxon Valdez. They did a really, really good job of keeping the story to a minimum.

I'd also be interested in hearing about your research on Chinese drywall. We're doing a good bit as well and have come up with some interesting ideas.

Last edited by Brad Russell; 05-13-2009 at 06:28 AM. Reason: spacing

So we all now know that chinese drywall is a problem. Anyone know how to identify it in a visual inspection other than looking for tarnished/deteriorated copper at evaporators and inside electrical panel boxes? Hardly conclusive. Any testing that can be done? Would it show up by IAQ testing? I understand some inspection companies in Florida claiming to be able to identify it for a fee are under investigation for misrepresentation and possibly fraud. So what is the best thing that we can do, as HI's, to protect and best advise our clients in this matter? At this point I'm telling them I cannot identify it (by happen chance maybe-but that's a long shot I'm not willing to take).

Tom,

The best way if to look at the back side of it in the attic where there is no insulation.

Then on the ceiling side in the attic by moving insulation.

Then cut large sections out and look for the name (Knauf and China)/

Testing is a rip off and will likely tell you nothing to hang your hat on, but the testing places (some I really hate to even call 'labs') will gladly take your money.

Find the name and take a photo - that is the best way and the only sure way.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tom McDonnell View Post
    So we all now know that chinese drywall is a problem. Anyone know how to identify it in a visual inspection other than looking for tarnished/deteriorated copper at evaporators and inside electrical panel boxes? Hardly conclusive. Any testing that can be done? Would it show up by IAQ testing? I understand some inspection companies in Florida claiming to be able to identify it for a fee are under investigation for misrepresentation and possibly fraud. So what is the best thing that we can do, as HI's, to protect and best advise our clients in this matter? At this point I'm telling them I cannot identify it (by happen chance maybe-but that's a long shot I'm not willing to take).
    As Jerry said, testing is really not the answer. Take a look at what I have compiled, I have it on my blog:
    Real Estate Blog - How to tell if you have Chinese Drywall in a home

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Brad Russell Guest

There are several visual indicators of Chinese drywall. Any of the following have been seen on known Chinese drywall:
    Yellow and Blue side tape
    Knauf printed on the board
    Tianjian printed on the board
    China printed on the board
    ASTMC36 printed on the board

I disagree that all testing methods are a scam. While there are many tests that are not valid, especially those heating the drywall to high levels, there are a few methods that can detect the contaminants.

Because much of the Chinese drywall is not marked, other methods of identification can be necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Russell View Post
    there are a few methods that can detect the contaminants.
    Brad,

Can that test state that it is "Chinese drywall"?

No.

Only that there "MIGHT BE" contaminants (as related to "good" drywall and its contaminates - EVERYTHING in the house is "contaminated" with "contaminates", it is not a "clean" environment to build in, and factories are not "clean" environments either. I've been in what are known as "clean rooms" and those would have no place in a manufacturing plant for drywall, other than their lab where they did their testing, certainly not the entire manufacturing line.

The promoters of those tests are advertising 'testing for Chinese drywall'.

The only way that would work would be to take the results of the materials being tested and compare them to suspect areas in China where the materials may have come from, and then eliminate other areas of the world.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Kenneth Reed Guest

Scott....great blog on the Chinese Drywall. Mind if I use it on my website as an informational link?
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Kenneth Reed View Post
    Scott....great blog on the Chinese Drywall. Mind if I use it on my website as an informational link?
    Ken
    Yes, please use it as you wish.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Russell View Post
    There are several visual indicators of Chinese drywall. Any of the following have been seen on known Chinese drywall:
    Yellow and Blue side tape
    Knauf printed on the board
    Tianjian printed on the board
    China printed on the board
    ASTMC36 printed on the board

I disagree that all testing methods are a scam. While there are many tests that are not valid, especially those heating the drywall to high levels, there are a few methods that can detect the contaminants.

Because much of the Chinese drywall is not marked, other methods of identification can be necessary.
    Well, I would be careful on some of those items that you have listed:

Yellow and Blue side tape can not be seen most of the time. Also USG & Celotex used Yellow and Blue on some of their drywall products.

The Made in China print is a good indicator, but not all of the drywall from China has proved to be problematic.

The ASTMC36 is an indicator that you might have a problem, but it has also been found on good drywall. So I do not recommend using this method.

If ASTMC36 is in Blue ink or Made in China is in Blue ink it might be OK. The drywall with the blue ink does not seem to have the same problems as the drywall with the Black ink.

The major problem with the testing methods is that it only tells you what you have at that location. It will not tell you about the entire home. Untill a whole house scanning method is devised that is cost effective and reliable this about all that we can do.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Brad Russell Guest

Scott,

you are correct. That's why I said that those have been seen on contaminated Chinese drywall samples. That does not mean that sample is contaminated, but means other samples with those markings were identified as contaminated drywall samples.

Jerry,

I still have to respectfully disagree. There is an analysis method that provides a Congruent or Incongruent result, meaning the sample either does or does not conform to known Chinese drywall reference materials. That analysis method has been used in some form for 70 years and is routinely used in court cases and crime labs to detect materials and their organic and some inorganic compounds. The techonology is used to detect illicit drugs, detect counterfeit currency, and is used in the pharmaceutical industry to guarantee the purity and congruency of every raw material imported into the EU for use in drugs.

I understand your point, but there is a testing method that is valid and definitive for people that need or want it. There are a couple other testing methods that are valid, but I am only well versed in one at this time. I do enjoy the discussion and look forward to further pushback, as that's how things improve.