Jeffrey L. Mathis Guest

Default Turnbull fused disconnect

I have an older home (inspection) with a Turnbull brand fused disconnect with 2 125 amp fuses. Do I call that a 250 amp disconnect? I think 125.
    Thanks

JLMathis

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Turnbull fused disconnect

125 amp.

125 amps goes in one phase conductor, through the panel, and out the other pass conductor - each phase conductor has a 125 amp fuse, so either one will blow at 125 amps and you lose power.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

On older wiring installations it is never a good idea to guess how things are hooked up. Normally the installation would indicate a 125 AMP service.

However, I've seen more than a few of these old services where both fuses feed from the same hot leg because the service originally had (and may still have) only one hot feed from the utility.

I've also seen these old services where the second fuse was actually installed in the grounded conductor, or neutral.

You could have a standard 125 AMP 240 volt service, a 250 AMP 120 volt service, or an illegally fused 125 AMP 120 volt service.

Keep in mind these 125 AMP fuses may be on a meter rated at 60 Amps. This is a common situation.

The voltage between the two fuses is necessary to answer part of the question unless 240 volt appliances are being used without problems.

Last edited by Bill Kriegh; 04-16-2009 at 10:03 AM.

John Steinke Guest

What does the lable say? The rating of the disconnect is completely separate from whatever fuses may be in it. In most cases, the disconnect is rated for the largest CORRECT fuses that can be used in it.

Quote Originally Posted by John Steinke View Post
    What does the lable say? The rating of the disconnect is completely separate from whatever fuses may be in it. In most cases, the disconnect is rated for the largest CORRECT fuses that can be used in it.

John,

Sort of correct.

If you have a 250 amp rated disconnect with 125 amp fuses in it, you have a 125 amp disconnect (which was the term the original poster used).

In your defense, though, you would have a 250 amp RATED disconnect, but that was not the question.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com