Default wavy vinyl siding

This is about wavy siding on new home. Could nailing too tight be the main factor or maybe just thin siding? What, if anything do you say in your report about wavy siding? If you unlock two panels and see it nailed too tight, that means it has to be redone, correct?

Similar Threads:
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: wavy vinyl siding

Quote Originally Posted by John Dirks Jr View Post

Could nailing too tight be the main factor
    Yes, ( as well as siding could be cut too long , improper room to expand and or heat damaged.

What, if anything do you say in your report about wavy siding?
    Not installed per manufactures Instructions ( Voids Manufactures Warranty or Heat Damaged find and correct the cause.)
    If you unlock two panels and see it nailed too tight, that means it has to be redone, correct?
    Yes.

Last edited by Billy Stephens; 04-16-2009 at 04:59 PM. Reason: removed thin siding
    It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

Thanks Billy. I'd rather learn and make mistakes here than on the job. I'm not afraid to admit it. I'm always learning and my confidence is steadily growing.

Quote Originally Posted by John Dirks Jr View Post

I'd rather learn and make mistakes here than on the job.

I'm always learning
    That's why I visit this site.

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)

I like inspecting vinyl siding. It's one siding type that you can actually see behind. Carry one of these: Amazon.com: Wiss Siding Removal Tool: Home Improvement

Just make sure the siding is not old/ brittle if you plan on using it.

Wavy Vinyl siding can be caused by improper nailing but there is a known manufacturing cause as well. Some manufacturers have had periodic problems with the mix and waviness can occur, they call it "oil canning". It is more common on darker colors that lighter colors or at least it is more visible.

Jeff Zehnder - Home Inspector, Raleigh, NC
    http://www.jjeffzehnder.com/
    http://carolinahomeinspections.com/

Post Re: wavy vinyl siding

Those are nifty tools. I have one myself, but have never made it a practice to pull siding and check the nailing. Depending on the temperature, you can often tell if the nailing is too tight by trying to slide a section of siding. I would recommend replacement, as over driven nails will damage the siding and eventually cause problems with the siding coming loose.

Randall Aldering GHI BAOM MSM
    Housesmithe Inspection
    www.housesmithe.com

The siding was not nailed too tight after all. I was able to slide every piece I tested.

Jim Zborowski Guest

I personally wouldn't pull siding to look behind it. However, if you do use a "zip" tool, be sure the outside air temp is warm enough, vinyl siding does crack, or worse yet, large chunks may break off. Although it's not hard to replace, it may be nearly impossible to match the grain and color. I have seen where entire sides of a home had to be replaced for that reason. Me? I wouldn't want to pay for it.

Steve Maurer Guest

I was contracting for a couple decades before I got into Home Inspection...and built many buildings for myself...Vinyl siding is just cheap and flimsy. After it sees a few heat cycles it will can take the shape of the sheathing and the really cheap stuff almost always get wavy. As far as an inspector I feel like to do a lot of valuable things during an inspection which are out of and above the scope but I have never pulled siding apart. I think sliding it is fine and won't hurt a thing but pulling it apart to inspect the method or frequency of nailing is not something I would recommend any inspector do. Where has anyone seen inspecting siding to this depth recommended by any school or organization? Just curious...

I think sliding it is fine and won't hurt a thing but pulling it apart to inspect the method or frequency of nailing is not something I would recommend any inspector do. Where has anyone seen inspecting siding to this depth recommended by any school or organization? Just curious...
    I've never gone to an inspection school, so I can't say for sure whether any would teach doing this. My guess would be that they would not, as they probably teach minimalist inspection techniques.. Pulling siding goes well above and beyond the scope of the inspection. Sometimes I start to see things that make me suspicious. If I know that I can pop a piece of siding loose without causing damage, I will do so. I usually do this to check flashing at a window.

For anyone that does not feel comfortable doing this, do not do it. I've installed and repaired enough of it to feel comfortable I guess. Up to this point, I have not caused any damage.................

You can always just pop edges free and peek in without pulling siding to check nailing techniques, etc.

I pull the vinyl siding form under at least two windows on every home Inspect that has vinyl. Even new homes.
    I have been calling out lack of window flashings in the bottom corner of the windows that is suppose to overlap the nailing strip of the panel under it so water will be divert to weeps in the bottom of the panels. You be amazed at how many homes doesn't have that feature.

For years hard board siding crews that where switching to vinyl without reading on how to install it.

Mike Schulz License 393
    Affordable Home Inspections
    www.houseinspections.com

branden wilson Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Maurer View Post
    I was contracting for a couple decades before I got into Home Inspection...and built many buildings for myself...Vinyl siding is just cheap and flimsy. After it sees a few heat cycles it will can take the shape of the sheathing and the really cheap stuff almost always get wavy. As far as an inspector I feel like to do a lot of valuable things during an inspection which are out of and above the scope but I have never pulled siding apart. I think sliding it is fine and won't hurt a thing but pulling it apart to inspect the method or frequency of nailing is not something I would recommend any inspector do. Where has anyone seen inspecting siding to this depth recommended by any school or organization? Just curious...

good to see someone who knows what they're talking about. vinyl siding is an extremely temporary product that is unrecyclable and nonbiodegradable. vinyl has been reffered to as " the modern day asbestos" because it was in every home in america before we admitted how toxic it is. inspectors should be calling it out like they would asbestos. there is nothing that can be done with old vinyl except bury it in the ground (the old out of site, out of mind theory) which it then leeches toxic chemicals into the ground.

there is a very old hbo documentary called "blue vinyl" that takes a look at the entire vinyl industry and it's extremely toxic nature. everyone should watch this, it is truthful and very interesting.

Welcome to Blue Vinyl

by the way, inspectors are at the for-front in perpetuating the lies created by marketing campaigns. i believe inspectors have an even larger responsibility to sort through all the marketing and the hype to find real, honest, proven TRUTH. don't just be another bob villa

http://www.showcasewindows.com/Websi...fact_sheet.pdf

vinyl siding is an extremely temporary product that is unrecyclable
    It's 100% recyclable

good to see someone who knows what they're talking about
    Somebody needs a little more study time :-)

Mike Schulz License 393
    www.houseinspections.com

branden wilson Guest

could you please give us some sort of facts to prove your claim? if i'm wrong, i'm wrong but i disagree untill i'm proven otherwise. here's even a mainstream perspective for you.....Healthy Building Network: PVC Plastic

have you seen blue vinyl?

The new fad now is be green, reduce your carbon footprint, blah blah blah. The material is recyclable and can be used in hundreds of products. Just need people to impalement that!

What about Styrofoam foam, The telephone in your hand, the computer on your desk, The TV, the floor covering in your house, the voc, in your paint............list goes on, Get my drift

Did you click the link on my last post...

Mike Schulz License 393
    www.houseinspections.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Schulz View Post
    Just need people to impalement that!

Warning! Danger! Impalement Hazard approaches!

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Schulz View Post

The material is recyclable ...
    And Many Companies do.

Fryman's Recycling - Recycle Vinyl Siding | Industrial Plastics | PVC | Window Profiles

LOL Jerry I get impaled all the time.

Mike Schulz License 393
    www.houseinspections.com