Thread: Cost estimator

Default Cost estimator

I'm looking for a good construction cost estimator site or software. What would you recommend? Thanks.

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1
    Tom Rees / A Closer Look Home Inspection / Salt Lake City, Utah
    http://acloserlookslc.com/

Smile Re: Cost estimator

When the Hurricanes hit Florida a few years back, I worked with some PA's (Public Adjusters) working up Estimates. The program I used was National renovation & Insurance repair. Cost me about $ 75.00 and comes with an easy to use CD. Had a interrogation under oat with Citizens insurance to defend my pricing and came out well. I also have a construction background and that helped.

Joseph, Palm Bch County, Fl.
    HomeSafeSouthFlorida.com

Default Re: Cost estimator

Sorry, name of publisher for National Renovationis Craftsman Book Company.

Joseph, Palm Bch County, Fl.
    HomeSafeSouthFlorida.com

I've bought various cost estimator books over the years and given them away. I've never been able to use one and bid a job at a proper price. Other contractor's I gave the books to also couldn't make them work. Maybe myself and all the guys I know are just dense (definite possibility)
    Since I've spent years bidding jobs I can figure most costs out from experience or a phone call. However, the following may help you.
    Usually twice a year, spring/fall, I send out bid sheets for major trades to various contractors that I know. If there are major market fluctuations (copper a couple years ago) I'll send another one out to get updated pricing.
    The bid sheet is one page of typical rehab line items that a contractor would do. I fax or email, they fax. email back, or meet for lunch. Upon delivery I write them a check for $75.00
    For them it's a tank of gas? and a reason to get a handle on their pricing for themselves. Some guys have actually thanked me for the idea, others won't take the check. Some want a gift cert instead.
    For me it's good street pricing. It's a win/win
    I do a lot of building assessments and have to include rehab costs to substantiate whether the project is feasible or not. I need realistic street level numbers.
    I usually send out 3 at a time. That way the cost of 3 plus business expenses is essentially covered by the revenue of one HI.
    Hope this helps someone, Markus

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"