Default garage fire door

30 year old house.

The door from the garage into the house by way of the laundry room is a typical interior hollow core door with galvanized on the garage side. Hard to believe it would last very long in a fire, but I'm not sure how to evaluate it.

The 2006 IRC says solid wood, or steel, or "20 minute fire-rated".

I recommended replacement with a "proper fire-rated door", but mainly just because of a gut feeling, which I'd rather not rely on.

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1
    "There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com

Default Re: garage fire door

Arrrrgggg ...

(the title)

It *IS NOT* a "fire door".

Quote Originally Posted by John Arnold View Post
    The door from the garage into the house by way of the laundry room is a typical interior hollow core door with galvanized on the garage side. Hard to believe it would last very long in a fire, but I'm not sure how to evaluate it.

The 2006 IRC says solid wood, or steel, or "20 minute fire-rated".
    Why did you not just recommend what the code says, instead of recommending something the code does not say?

I recommended replacement with a "proper fire-rated door",
    You should have simply said 'replace with a door suitable for this use, such as: solid wood door not less than 1-3/8" thick; honeycomb steel door; or a 20 minute fire-rated door'

R309.1 Opening protection. Openings from a private garage directly into a room used for sleeping purposes shall not be permitted. Other openings between the garage and residence shall be equipped with solid wood doors not less than 13/8 inches (35 mm) in thickness, solid or honeycomb core steel doors not less than 13/8 inches (35 mm) thick, or 20-minute fire-rated doors.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Jerry, What makes a door a "20 minute fire door" could the galvanized on garage side make it this? Is 20 minute rating stamped on door somewhere and what if it's been removed? Just picking your brain.

Tom Rees / A Closer Look Home Inspection / Salt Lake City, Utah
    http://acloserlookslc.com/

Just for the record, and I'm sure most of you already know this, these fire doors also need a self closing mechinism. Usually, it's spring loaded hinges.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Rees View Post
    Jerry, What makes a door a "20 minute fire door" could the galvanized on garage side make it this? Is 20 minute rating stamped on door somewhere and what if it's been removed? Just picking your brain.
    A solid wood 1 3/8" thick door.

OR

A door with a label on it.

If the label is missing then you should say that you can not confirm if the door is fire rated for 20 minutes.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Quote Originally Posted by John Dirks Jr View Post
    Just for the record, and I'm sure most of you already know this, these fire doors also need a self closing mechinism. Usually, it's spring loaded hinges.
    Nope, no longer a requirement unless your local AHJ requires it.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Adding a little more to what Scott said. The label should also be on the frame because these types of doors (20 minute rated) are tested as a unit and must be labeled as such.

Having been tested, listed, and labeled as a 20 minute fire-rated door. The part of that is "labeled", if it is not "labeled" it is not a 20 minute fire-rated door.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by John Dirks Jr View Post
    John, John, John,

Are you not reading the above posts?

"these fire doors"?????

They are not "fire door", how many times does that need to be said?

If the door is labeled as a 20 minute fire-rated door, then, yes, THAT DOOR will have self-closing hinges as it is rated as an assembly of the door AND its frame and hardware.

However, none of the other options are required to be self-closing.

Like with "subpanel", "fire door" needs to be dropped from home inspector speak and home inspection reports, unless you are actually in a location which requires a fire-rated wall assembly and a fire-rated door, in which case then and only then is that a "fire door", more accurately a "fire-rated door".

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post
    A solid wood 1 3/8" thick door.

OR
    NOPE!

A door with a label on it.
    Yep.

If the label is missing then you should say that you can not confirm if the door is fire rated for 20 minutes.
    Which is why a solid wood 1-3/8" thick door is not a 20 minute rated door - it is not labeled, and if it is labeled, then instead of referring to it as a solid wood 1-3/8" think door you would refer to it as a 20 minute labeled door.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Carlisle View Post
    The label should also be on the frame because these types of doors (20 minute rated) are tested as a unit and must be labeled as such.

If it is a 20 minute fire-rated door, yes, it will be labeled and yes, it is tested as a unit, and it will have self-closing hinges.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Whaaack!

Thank you, Sir/JP! May I have another?

Whaack!

(repeat)

I feel like Bart Simpson at the black board: It is NOT a "fire door". It is NOT a "fire door". It is NOT a "fire door". It is NOT a "fire door".

I think I've almost got it...

It is NOT a "fire door". It is NOT a "fire door". It is NOT a "fire door"...

"There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com

.. ..

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Jerry, It's not a subpanel it's a__________?

Tom Rees / A Closer Look Home Inspection / Salt Lake City, Utah
    http://acloserlookslc.com/

Jerry, It's not a subpanel it's a__________?
    ... it is "a panel", or a "distribution panel", or a "loadcenter", or even a "remote panel", but it is simply just a "panel".

Now, if you are in one of those things shown at the top of my avatar, and you are looking at one of those things shown at the bottom of my avatar, then, yes, you would be looking at a "sub" "panel".

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com