Default Jacuzzi Tub Protection

Did an inspection on a two-year old "new" construction today. Master bath has a Jacuzzi tub. Now, it is my understanding that a Jacuzzi tub of this age should have its own separate GFCI breaker in the panel OR a GFCI reset, say inside an adjacent closet or something.

In this case, the Jacuzzi and the bathrooms vanity outlets (inlusing a GFCI outlet) were connected together and terminated at one single breaker in the electrical panel.

Is this correct, or should the tub has its own dedicated breaker protection?

Note, the right photo shows the Master Bath breaker (second from top on left). It controls the two outlets and the Jacuzzi.

Greg

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: Jacuzzi Tub Protection

Most likely the installation instructions called for a dedicated circuit for the tub.

How many amps was the tub rated for on the nameplate?

Cool Re: Jacuzzi Tub Protection

Nameplate concealed behind a skirt that is caulked close (still ok in this area). I don't cut caulk.

In a way, it is protected by being in line with the working GFI, however, I still don't know that this is correct as I believe it should be on a dedicated circuit. Agree anyone?

Was that circuit only serving that one bathroom? Was the lighting and fan also on that circuit?

Yes, that circuit serves only that bathroom as hall and upstairs baths are on their own.

The light and fan were not effected (however, I have seen that condition before and even had an electrician tell me that it was okay, albeit unsafe!)

I could just see my shower capped grandmother stumble out of the shower after the GFI trips and takes out the lights....then it's lights out for her!