Thread: lead paint cert

Default lead paint cert

Hi guys, does anyone have a lead paint inspector certification? I may need to get one fast and would like some info on what the training and cert are like.
    I'm calling federally approved trainers tomorrow. Odd to me, there's only two listed providers in the Chicagoland area.
    Thanks, Markus

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral
    www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

Default Re: lead paint cert

Quote Originally Posted by Markus Keller View Post
    Hi guys, does anyone have a lead paint inspector certification? I may need to get one fast and would like some info on what the training and cert are like.
    I'm calling federally approved trainers tomorrow. Odd to me, there's only two listed providers in the Chicagoland area.
    Thanks, Markus
    I had one in Mississippi, I had to take a three day class and exam through a state university. This was for the EPA and State DEQ. This was back in 1999 so I'm sure some things have changed.

I found that the market for lead paint testing would not support the cost of the equipment (XRF analyzer). My experience is that most lead testing is now done by larger environmental firms.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post
    I had one in Mississippi, I had to take a three day class and exam through a state university. This was for the EPA and State DEQ. This was back in 1999 so I'm sure some things have changed.

I found that the market for lead paint testing would not support the cost of the equipment (XRF analyzer). My experience is that most lead testing is now done by larger environmental firms.

Take samples, analyze, or send out to have analyzed, your certified. You just have to know how and where to take samples.

Pay me 1500.00 and I will take you on a few jobs and at the end I will put a stamp on your forehead........Certified

Scott

A three day course ?????

3 day course $600 +/- then a State test, the EPA application $
    supposedly this is nationwide with regional cost differences applicable.
    Figured I'd post if anyone else needs to know.

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Menelly View Post
    Take samples, analyze, or send out to have analyzed, your certified. You just have to know how and where to take samples.

Pay me 1500.00 and I will take you on a few jobs and at the end I will put a stamp on your forehead........Certified

Scott

A three day course ?????
    Yep, lead and asbestos testing/sampling/inspecting/etc, are governed by the EPA and most of the states also have some type of license/certification requirement.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post
    Yep, lead and asbestos testing/sampling/inspecting/etc, are governed by the EPA and most of the states also have some type of license/certification requirement.

Yep, a 24 hour course for lead inspection in Texas. Only one person has asked me going on 5 years in Texas so I am not sure I am running out there for the course. It is only 300 dollars

Richard Stanley Guest

I've had several inquiries over the years. I refer all of them to the county health department.

Or there's the no cost route: in a home constructed prior to 1979 the EPA will assume that lead is present. That seems to quickly solve clients' questions, and all with no training, no exams, no hassle.

Eric Barker, ACI
    Lake Barrington, IL

Quite true Eric, unfortunately a probable new commercial client wants the Cert. Hoping to talk them out of it due to cost and probable lack of other calls for the service.

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC

A.D. Miller Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Barker View Post
    Or there's the no cost route: in a home constructed prior to 1979 the EPA will assume that lead is present. That seems to quickly solve clients' questions, and all with no training, no exams, no hassle.
    EB: Yes, and add to that the phenomenally high cost of professional remediation and most home buyers will first pale, and then move on to the next subject.

Markus,

How about using Elliott & Assoc. in Hinsdale? 630-325-8005

Elliott & Associates Radon - For your radon testing and radon mitigation needs in Illinois.

Eric Barker, ACI
    Lake Barrington, IL

Eric, I guess I could call them but their site doesn't say a word about lead paint testing just radon.

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC

Quote Originally Posted by Markus Keller View Post
    Quite true Eric, unfortunately a probable new commercial client wants the Cert. Hoping to talk them out of it due to cost and probable lack of other calls for the service.
    Last I heard lead paint is still acceptable for use in commercial applications, such as coatings on steel. I don't think that the EPA rules had anything to do with commercial structures.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

commercial client, residential work.

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC

I visited with an experienced Real Estate Agent about this issue and he gave some excellent advise: Read Your Inspection Agreement! If it doesn't have a disclaimer about lead paint see a lawyer and get it put in there. Don't inform the client about the issues of lead paint tell them to research for themselves on the internet. The fallout of this subject could cost the agent the sale of the home or you ending in a law suit. Just keep quiet, the agent is required to give them a pamphlet about lead and the dangers of it and have them sign a paper stating they gave it to them. As Jerry said earlier if the house is built before 1978 it has lead in it. Don't want the lead? Buy a newer home.

Thomas, sorry to inform you that your experienced agent is not on your side. Nor the buyers side. The agent is on the agents side. Informing, explaining and educating the client is part of your job. Your agent sees his job as only about making the sale. Your agent wants a uninformed, uneducated and emotional buyer. They love gullible buyers.

God help you if you go along with the idea of ...." Don't inform the client about the issues of lead paint tell them to research for themselves on the internet.".........."...fallout of this subject could cost the agent the sale.....".....Get real and find some ethics. The agent doesn't seem to have them, which does not surprise me at all.

Include a disclaimer about lead paint in your contract, Ok. But wouldn't be better to be able to inform the client of the status and educate them. I live in a house with lead. I have raised 3 children in a house with lead. All 3 in the top of their class for high school and graduating college with honors. Not one with lead poisoning. Its all about knowledge and education of the issues.

Be careful that you don't end up in bed with your agent. No self respect and no ethics would be the result.

William Brady Guest

Sorry I just got around to looking at this. I am a Lead Inspector and Risk Assesor. Everyone is correct it takes time to get the certifications from either EPA or your state if it has it's own program. Better off just looking around for someone who does it aready. Startup cost is also an issue because of the XRF as someone has already said. Good luck.

Nancy West Guest

Smile Re: lead paint cert

Hi. Ahit university has an online coarse right now for lead/asbestos and water analysis, all three for $75.00.I just did my tests for the epa all on line. you will be certified for visual inspections for the lead and asbestos. ahit provides the books and you have to call the epa to schedule your tests. I am a new home inspector here in Rockford Illinois