John Jeffries Guest

Default Chinese Drywall Scams are showing up

I thought some might find this article interesting. It looks like scam "repairs" for Chinese drywall are starting to show up.

Click here for the article

Similar Threads:
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: Chinese Drywall Scams are showing up

Like the guy who came here trying to sell us on those air treatment devices he called 'not air filters', which would neutralize the compound in the air ... but not get rid of the source ... yeah, right.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Chinese gypboard is the new "Mold is Gold" for our friends with Esquire after their name. This is only the beginning of a whole bunch of legal action. I can see it know, "My husband is sick and can't work, we can't pay the mortgage because of it, our son is traumatized and is seeing a shrink, our dog and goldfish died, etc., etc., etc............

Jerry McCarthy
    Building Code/ Construction Consultant

Richard Stanley Guest

Question - for those of you smarter than I - most of you. If the product is encapsulated, ie; primed, sealed, painted, Would that prevent any of the alleged emmissions that are allegedly causing all of the alleged problems? It is usually used that way - at least one side. The paper side is not. Maybe it is defective chinese paper!!
    More questions - Are the 'black' ac coils in the attic installations or in closet compartments elsewhere? The coils would be exposed to the paper side of the gyp in an unfinished closet/compartment and to a lesser degree in some attic installations.
    I'm just asking questions, but, I'm still looking for the science.
    Maybe I missed it - haven't seen anything from our resident forensic engineer "Caohimn".

Richard, valid points but less than 50% of any drywall is finished so as to encapsulate. Think of it this way, if there is a turd laying on the ground and you cover less than half of it with plastic, with the rest still stink?

BTW, the paper is VERY water permeable and is certainly not going to resist water or vapor movement through it.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Stanley View Post
    Question - for those of you smarter than I - most of you. If the product is encapsulated, ie; primed, sealed, painted, Would that prevent any of the alleged emmissions that are allegedly causing all of the alleged problems?
    Maybe if each piece were wrapped in special plastic which would not allow the molecules to penetrate through the plastic.

It is usually used that way - at least one side. The paper side is not. Maybe it is defective chinese paper!!
    They have determined it is the stuff in the gypsum core. Could "also be" the paper, which is why I pondered the question about the paper facing on the insulation.

More questions - Are the 'black' ac coils in the attic installations or in closet compartments elsewhere? The coils would be exposed to the paper side of the gyp in an unfinished closet/compartment and to a lesser degree in some attic installations.
    Not sure that the research as delved into that, but it appears to be what is being put into the air and then circulated through the system, which would mean that regardless where the coil was located, the same air is circulated over it.

At least those of the impressions on another unknowledgeable person not scientifically equipped to handle large equations, i.e., not any smarter than you.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

henri chero Guest

Hello Jerry
    Our company Allerair has been building air purifying system for 20 years.We have been fixing these types of problems in Industries and in the Medical field.
    Our units go from $400.00 to $20,000.
    Our RAP H2S unit is built to arrest all H2S gases and all sulphur related emmanations.
    We have tested the units on Chinese drywall homeowners in Vancouver and it was found that even though the emmanations don't stop,it permits the occupants of the house to continue to live in their home without the danger of breathing in these gases.
    No one yet has come forward with a better interim plan to keep the homeowners and their family safe.
    Henri Chero
    henrich@allerair
    chinesedrwywallsolution.info

Henri, no offense, but prove it.
    Do you have any published data from a true third party lab to confirm your assertions?
    There need be not "interim" solution. If you have a product or condition in your home that is causing problems, remove it. Drywall is cheap.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

henri chero Guest

The interim solution is viable as just removing drywall will not help as wiring ,airconditioning,copper pipesare also damaged.
    In the end the people inflicted will need to move,as these houses cannot be repaired at a reasonable price(according to LENNAR)
    I will post third party trials in a short while.
    We have arrested H2S fumes in many industrial cases,it is based on the strength anfd filtering system of the units.
    In the meantime...what do the homeowners do?stay inside and get sick?

Quote Originally Posted by henri chero View Post
    The interim solution is viable as just removing drywall will not help as wiring ,airconditioning,copper pipes are also damaged.
    Are you saying your process will reverse damage to wiring, a/c, copper pipes? If not, then it is a moot point.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

henri chero Guest

PROCESS ONLY STOPS GASES,FUMES,PARTICLES.1 MICRON.
    PROCESS DOESN''T STOP DETERIORATION OF WALLS AND WIRING

henri chero Guest

OK TO REMOVE DRY WAL,BUT ALL WIRING AND AC MUST ALSO BE REMOVED,WOOD HAS ALSO BEEN DAMAGED BY SULFURIC ACID AND STEEL POST HAVE SUFFERED THE SAME FATE..
    THESE HOUSES CANNOT BE FIXED.ONLY MOVING OUT WILL FIX PROBLEM DEFINATELY...UNTIL THEN ,WHAT DOES THE OWNER DO?

No one yet has come forward with a better interim plan to keep the homeowners and their family safe.

Henri,

As I replied to your PM, there is only ONE solution, interim or otherwise, and that is to REMOVE the drywall, i.e., remove the source of the problem.

Don't treat the air, treat the problem, and the problem is the source, and the source is the drywall, therefore remove the drywall.

It really is that simple.

Okay, removing and replacing the drywall is not "that simple", but that is the simple solution.

Plus checking all the copper wiring, all the copper plumbing, all the copper, silver, maybe even galvanized - EVERYTHING which could be affect by those chemicals in the air.

Worst case, with a wood framed home, *could* the nails be affected? If so, then that would be a major problem, same with truss plates if they are affected.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

PROCESS DOESN''T STOP DETERIORATION OF WALLS AND WIRING
    THEN WHY BOTHER!

(WE CAN USE ALL CAPS TOO!)

THESE HOUSES CANNOT BE FIXED.
    THE HOUSES *CAN* BE FIXED.

(WHY ARE YOU TYPING IN ALL CAPS? THAT IS LIKE YELLING, ARE YOU YELLING AT US? IF SO, YELLING will not overcome misinformation about the solution or correcting the problem.)

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

henri chero Guest

according to americas watchdog :the wood and stell gurders have been affected by the sulfuric acid also.These houses may now have structural weaknesses,and may not stand up to a huricane

henri chero Guest

sorry about the caps..im not yelling(I'm a meditator)

according to americas watchdog :the wood and stell gurders have been affected by the sulfuric acid also.These houses may now have structural weaknesses,and may not stand up to a huricane
    Which is what I have been telling people since this came to light.

It was the copper in the a/c units.

I said what about the copper in the wiring system, the plumbing system, what about the nails, screws, metal studs in metal framing, all metal fasteners (which includes truss plates).

I had considered the wood, but figured it would not be damaged as much as all the things attached to the wood and/or holding the wood together. Smarter people than me will have to figure that out.

BUT ... there is still no reason to treat the air, you treat the problem, i.e., remove the drywall and assess the associated damage.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Ted Menelly Guest

Americas Watchdog??????????????????????????????????????

And what is that suppose to be like I guess we are all suppose to know.

Anyway I think this is getting way out of control. If, and I say if, exposed copper has been affected then it will more than likely just be the exposed copper and all fixture have enough copper length (most of the time) to cut the exposed copper off. As far as the HVAC system it couild be cleaned as well unless it has serious damage. Yes cleaned as in neutralized.

This whole thing is getting rediculous. If something has been nuetralized and the drywall that was causing it is gone than enough said. It is already known that some homes are affected more than other and some homes just about not at all.

To even talk at this stage of the , yes, game, about tearing down home is outrageous.

Again......Americas Watchdog?????????????????????

Brad Russell Guest

I can verify that the main issue is in the middle of the drywall...in the gypsum/fly ash mix. That is not to say the paper doesn't have some type of contaminant in it, but I believe the problem is the main material.

On another note, we found a few scientific articles that talk about heating up calcium carbonate (gypsum). When you mix heat with calcium carbonate and methane (at levels naturally occurring in the air), part of the result is hydrogen sulfide.

This explains why some of the tests that involve heating a sample up will provide positive results for known American drywall samples and will corrode copper in the test chamber black, just as seen in homes with Chinese drywall.