larry newman Guest

Default Roof Life Extension?

How much longer would a low slope BUR last ,in a hot climate like Las Vegas, if you could eliminate the solar heat load and UV radiation? I have heard estimates from 50% longer to 300% longer. I suppose the closest answer to the correct one ought to win an all expenses paid trip to Hawaii, or something.

Thanks.

Similar Threads:
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: Roof Life Extension?

Quote Originally Posted by larry newman View Post
    How much longer would a low slope BUR last ,in a hot climate like Las Vegas, if you could eliminate the solar heat load and UV radiation? I have heard estimates from 50% longer to 300% longer. I suppose the closest answer to the correct one ought to win an all expenses paid trip to Hawaii, or something.

Thanks.

Last almost forever (the only thing which lasts forever is time, and when time runs out, so does forever), just put a roof above it and keep all the heat, UV and all other weathering stuff off it.

Okay, where are my tickets? Hawaii here we come!

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Ron Bibler Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Last almost forever (the only thing which lasts forever is time, and when time runs out, so does forever),
    Now Jerry you known time has nothing to do with forever.

Best

Ron

archivoyeur Guest

Larry??
    This is in Las Vegas?? What do they build there that they don't tear down and replace in 3 or 4 years?

larry newman Guest

archivoyeur, I think there a few houses of ill-repute that have lasted for decades!

branden wilson Guest

those type of projections are completely foolish and have led to nothing but trouble. if one wants to build a roof to last, one must look to proven history rather than unfounded projections. i build permanent roofs and i only use copper on my low slope roofs because it has proven itself to last for centuries just like natural slate and fired clay. projections have led us down a disasterous path in many ways lately and thanks to them now 3/4 of the current roofing demand in the us is re-roofing. re-roofing as well as other unwise construction practices are also the leading contributors to solid waste in our country. i can install flat locked copper on most low slope applications for the same or less than built up and most other toxic, temporary roofing. i don't need fudged numbers to back up my claims either, i've got literally thousands of years of proof. thankfully previous civilizations were much wiser than us so we even have historic architecture to appreciate, something we are definitely not going to leave behind.

Quote Originally Posted by branden wilson View Post
    i can install flat locked copper on most low slope applications for the same or less than built up and most other toxic, temporary roofing.
    Regarding your boast ... er, statement ... above: what do you charge per square foot, roughly, for a flat, locked, soldered seam, copper roof?

Seems like you dislike anything modern, my Dad has a 77 year old 1932 Model A in unrestored, rough condition, that I am sure I can get him to sell to you for the price of a new top of the line Lexus, and I doubt that new Lexus will be around in 77 years.

Should I contact my Dad and inquire about it?

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com